Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
JessicaLange

2017 Acceptances

1,599 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, erosanddust said:

Sorry for the late reply — but yes, I am definitely leaning towards UofT! Just booked my flights for visit day, and have been giddily researching the university / city. 

That's fantastic to hear! I just mailed them my acceptance confirmation form today so it's official - I'll be going to UofT this fall! :D

I look forward to seeing you on visitor's day. Also, I currently live in Toronto and have lived in the area most of my life, so if you have any questions about the city, feel free to PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 10:36 AM, positivitize said:

I just received word that I've been accepted at the University of Indiana Bloomington's PhD program! This was my reach school--every other program that I applied to was just a MA.

I am shell-shocked. I need to sit down. I AM SITTING DOWN. What is happening!

 Image result for I have no idea what's happening excited

Dude! That's awesome. I was accepted there too--PM me if you're going to the visitor's day, so that I'll be able to talk to at least one person there :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted to University of Tennessee and on the wait list for funding (GTA position).  Crossing my fingers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShakesRos said:

I sent you an email @manals

I sent an email back :-) See you on the 16th!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Silabus said:

Whoo! Who got into FSU?! Who?! MEEEEEEEE!

*dances*

Hey, congrats! PM me if you have any questions about the program:) It's a great place to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

That's fantastic to hear! I just mailed them my acceptance confirmation form today so it's official - I'll be going to UofT this fall! :D

I look forward to seeing you on visitor's day. Also, I currently live in Toronto and have lived in the area most of my life, so if you have any questions about the city, feel free to PM me.

YES!!!!! Congratulations on your decision! And I'm 95% sure we'll be cohort-mates, as I anticipate making my decision just after the visit day. Very much looking forward to meeting you! Thanks, too, for the offer to answer questions re: Toronto — as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

As a fellow Vancouverite, I can only imagine that the most difficult adjustment will be finding yourself surrounded by people that actually like, if not love the Maple Leafs. I'm not sure that's a world I'd be ready to live in, personally. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, erosanddust said:

YES!!!!! Congratulations on your decision! And I'm 95% sure we'll be cohort-mates, as I anticipate making my decision just after the visit day. Very much looking forward to meeting you! Thanks, too, for the offer to answer questions re: Toronto — as a Vancouverite, Toronto is a huge mystery to me, so I will almost surely be taking you up on that/pestering you with questions in the coming months. :D

Thanks! I'm so excited and relieved now that I've finally made a decision! And of course - any GCer is welcome to be my friend! I very much look forward to meeting you too! Haha and no problem! I look forward to the pestering about Toronto :D

33 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

As a fellow Vancouverite, I can only imagine that the most difficult adjustment will be finding yourself surrounded by people that actually like, if not love the Maple Leafs. I'm not sure that's a world I'd be ready to live in, personally. :P

Don't worry, I'm definitely not one of those fans of the Maple Leafs or any other Toronto sports team for that matter. It's very easy to spot them here though - they congregate like flocks of peacocks during their respective seasons and flash around their memorabilia, honking their cars and cheering loudly whenever there's a goal. It's actually the Blue Jay fans that are more exhausting probably because they fill up the streets during summertime. But don't let that discourage you - there's a lot more to Toronto than crazy sports fans! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Does anyone know what's up with USC (SoCal)? That's the last Band-Aid I'd like ripped off, and I see only one rejection on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can it really be possible that 10,800 people applied to Yale English this year? That seems to be what people are reporting on the results page! Can other applicants confirm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pippi said:

Can it really be possible that 10,800 people applied to Yale English this year? That seems to be what people are reporting on the results page! Can other applicants confirm?

So, that letter was written by the Director of the Graduate School.  I'm thinking Yale had 10,000+ applications to varying graduate schools, including English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounded like they meant 10,800 across all graduate programs, because I don't think that letter was specific to the English department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Avalanched said:

 Does anyone know what's up with USC (SoCal)? That's the last Band-Aid I'd like ripped off, and I see only one rejection on the board. 

I found a rejection on the portal a while ago-- didn't get an email to check, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@urbanfarmer I feel like my rejection letter got lost. Surely they'd have reached out by now if my status were anything else. Lordy. May be time to send the ever-obnoxious email to the DGS, mua ha ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pippi said:

Can it really be possible that 10,800 people applied to Yale English this year? That seems to be what people are reporting on the results page! Can other applicants confirm?

https://web.archive.org/web/20121224043305/http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profiles/englishlanguagelit.pdf  

This data is a bit dated, but probably more realistic in terms of numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're having this discussion, I posted this in the Venting Threat but I'll post it here too. This is what my rejection letter from Yale said:

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 10,700 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, so we are not able to admit many excellent candidates.

Take from it what you will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Hartley said:

So, that letter was written by the Director of the Graduate School.  I'm thinking Yale had 10,000+ applications to varying graduate schools, including English. 

Holy crap, I was gonna say...

From the context of the letter above, though, I'd say they probably mean the WHOLE Grad School of Arts and Sciences. I hope. Otherwise there is no hope for any of us, ever. 

Edited by ratanegra19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ratanegra19 said:

Holy crap, I was gonna say...

From the context of the letter above, though, I'd say they probably mean the WHOLE Grad School of Arts and Sciences. I hope. Otherwise there is no hope for any of us, ever. 

I would venture to guess that there aren't 10700 English Ph.D. applicants to all programs combined, let alone just Yale...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the Yale letter: note that the sender was from the Biology department, and the letter was sent from the Grad school office. That's the entire graduate school. It was in no way English-specific :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Syracuse University. I've been accepted to their fully funded MA Program as one of their top choices!

I can't believe that I have the good fortune to choose between 3 R1 programs. Everything is unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, positivitize said:

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Syracuse University. I've been accepted to their fully funded MA Program as one of their top choices!

I can't believe that I have the good fortune to choose between 3 R1 programs. Everything is unreal.

Yessssss!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2017 at 3:17 AM, orphic_mel528 said:

1. Express your gratitude for the offer. Don't be overly effusive.

2. Ask questions about cost of living and additional expenses, such as graduate education fees, and whether there is subsidy available for traveling to conferences/additional financing for thesis/dissertation research...

3. ...because you would very much like to work with the faculty in that program and continue your studies there, but you need more information to make a decision between offers according to your financial situation.

That's what I'd say, anyway.

That was very helpful. Thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zelda I am one of the posters for Utah. I was waitlisted for the English Literature track. Have you heard any news? The DGS is incredibly friendly if you haven't called already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now