MIT EECS PhD 2017 Already Out?

Ziqi Wang

I observed on the result report page that few lucky guys have already received interview from POI and/or offers from the department. Just want to make sure (or if you are reading this and you got accepted) is it normal to receive admission letter at such an early time? Would anybody mind letting us know what is the field of study or research direction (I saw at least 2 of them are CS, and I myself also chose CS Systems area)? Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, JohnBlack said:

How did you figure out they are CS area? i was also shocked to see, but namely there are only 2 applicants who said they were informed, one was accepted and the other got called out for an interview. Very surprising!

Because two of them wrote "Computer Science (PhD)" instead of EECS, though MIT does not have a "Computer Science" portal for application. So my best guess is that those two lucky guys applied to CS within EECS department.

6 hours ago, Ziqi Wang said:

Because two of them wrote "Computer Science (PhD)" instead of EECS, though MIT does not have a "Computer Science" portal for application. So my best guess is that those two lucky guys applied to CS within EECS department.

4 hours ago, George Zhang said:

I also applied to MIT PhD 2017, but no response yet. It looks like the majority of acceptances came Feb. 4 the past two years.

OMG! one of them got it like on 4th of Jan, that's too quick ..are there less applicants this time or what?
Oh yeah! it seems like they are accepting the computer one's early...WHICH MEANS we would get an early notice too if accepted i suppose O_O ..if we are lucky enough that is..which department did you guys apply to? I applied to the power & energy one.

Edited by JohnBlack

I applied listing my top two research fields of interests as 1. Electromagnetics, Energy, and Power, and 2. Materials, Devices, and Photonics.

Would anyone be interested in starting a Fall 2017 thread like this one:

2 hours ago, George Zhang said:

I applied listing my top two research fields of interests as 1. Electromagnetics, Energy, and Power, and 2. Materials, Devices, and Photonics.

Would anyone be interested in starting a Fall 2017 thread like this one:

What are your credentials?

15 hours ago, JohnBlack said:

OMG! one of them got it like on 4th of Jan, that's too quick ..are there less applicants this time or what?
Oh yeah! it seems like they are accepting the computer one's early...WHICH MEANS we would get an early notice too if accepted i suppose O_O ..if we are lucky enough that is..which department did you guys apply to? I applied to the power & energy one.

I applied to MIT EECS for Computer Science, systems area. That is exactly the reason why I was nervous about those early results in CS.

Anyway I asked few friends that applied last year. They told me that it is likely that people are receiving interviews in the past and more will come in the following week. I am not sure about the implication of an interview but it seems that it varies from univ, to univ, e.g. for Berkeley interview is a must-do for strong applicants, while at MIT, etc. an interview could be everything. That's all I got.

5 hours ago, Ziqi Wang said:

I applied to MIT EECS for Computer Science, systems area. That is exactly the reason why I was nervous about those early results in CS.

Anyway I asked few friends that applied last year. They told me that it is likely that people are receiving interviews in the past and more will come in the following week. I am not sure about the implication of an interview but it seems that it varies from univ, to univ, e.g. for Berkeley interview is a must-do for strong applicants, while at MIT, etc. an interview could be everything. That's all I got.

So it's just for the computer science area then? :P I applied specifically to the "energy" area

On 1/13/2017 at 10:11 AM, Ziqi Wang said:

I observed on the result report page that few lucky guys have already received interview from POI and/or offers from the department. Just want to make sure (or if you are reading this and you got accepted) is it normal to receive admission letter at such an early time? Would anybody mind letting us know what is the field of study or research direction (I saw at least 2 of them are CS, and I myself also chose CS Systems area)? Thanks in advance!

I can't see any more acceptances or whatever..So were the previous one's bogus or something? lol

1 hour ago, JohnBlack said:

I can't see any more acceptances or whatever..So were the previous one's bogus or something? lol

Yes, I could not find them any longer... It seems that those "bogus" reports were just highly positive feedback/unofficial email from POI which does not qualify to be an official acceptance...

The committee roundup meeting at MIT EECS will be on Jan 30th, so still a long way to go

Edited by Ziqi Wang
Fix typo

3 hours ago, Ziqi Wang said:

Yes, I could not find them any longer... It seems that those "bogus" reports were just highly positive feedback/unofficial email from POI which does not qualify to be an official acceptance...

The committee roundup meeting at MIT EECS will be on Jan 30th, so still a long way to go

How do you know that the committee roundup meeting will be on Jan 30th ? So we should expect the results to come out during the first few weeks of Feb ?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear <first name>,

Congratulations!

It is my great pleasure to inform you of your admission to the graduate program in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT. Our department received close to 3000 applications from many outstanding students from around the world. Your application stood out as exemplary, and the EECS Admissions Committee believes you will be a terrific addition to our program.

Shortly, you will receive additional information regarding your admission and the upcoming EECS Visit Days (March 2-4) event by email. Official letters of admission will be mailed this week, via US postal service to domestic addresses and DHL express mail for international addresses.

I look forward to greeting you at MIT as a newly admitted graduate student in EECS.

Sincerely,

Anantha P. Chandrakasan

Vannevar Bush Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science 

Department Head, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

AC/lak

I also received an acceptance email (I'm EE not CS)

My email was without the string of names, and my name does NOT appear in the above list as well.

I got a slightly different letter stating I am also awarded a first year fellowship.

Congrats to all who made it!

48 minutes ago, nixipixi said:

I also received an acceptance email (I'm EE not CS)

My email was without the string of names, and my name does NOT appear in the above list as well.

I got a slightly different letter stating I am also awarded a first year fellowship.

Congrats to all who made it!

What date did you get the email? 

And how people differentiate between CS and EE? Aren't we all applied to EECS? Are there 2 different committees?

24 minutes ago, coolgod said:

Name also included, but have not received any email, applied mainly for EE, should we try to contact MIT and ask whats up?

I'd say let's wait until early next week. It's the weekend and they probably would send the rest, if any, out on Monday. 

52 minutes ago, coolgod said:

Name also included, but have not received any email, applied mainly for EE, should we try to contact MIT and ask whats up?

Also take into account that there were over 3000 applicants, and for sure there are lots of people with similar names