Skype Interview for George Washington Hominid Paleobiology program?

anjkris

One of my good friends is in that program, she loves it! When I do Skype interviews, I always try to research my POI there as much as possible and it probably wouldn't hurt to research the department too. Definitely be yourself!  I'm not sure about any specific advice for this program, if you want, you can DM me and we can talk a little but more. 

Hope it goes well! 

This may sound silly, but what questions do people tend to ask faculty during interviews? Besides the usual questions regarding how advising works (whether you're assigned someone right away or if you have more time to explore), I feel as though the questions i really do want to ask might not be a good idea before getting accepted. Examples: funding, job placement rates, etc.

I'm not in paleobiology-- just asking in general!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 1:37 PM, runningwithquills said:

This may sound silly, but what questions do people tend to ask faculty during interviews? Besides the usual questions regarding how advising works (whether you're assigned someone right away or if you have more time to explore), I feel as though the questions i really do want to ask might not be a good idea before getting accepted. Examples: funding, job placement rates, etc.

I'm not in paleobiology-- just asking in general!

I interviewed at a couple places, and I asked questions about funding, just to make sure I would have the security of being fully funded for the entirety of my PhD. I also asked professors about their thoughts on what makes students a good fit to the program and what the qualities of the most successful students are -- I think this gave good insight into professors' advising styles.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:46 AM, homogenius said:

One of my good friends is in that program, she loves it! When I do Skype interviews, I always try to research my POI there as much as possible and it probably wouldn't hurt to research the department too. Definitely be yourself!  I'm not sure about any specific advice for this program, if you want, you can DM me and we can talk a little but more. 

Hope it goes well! 

Thank you! It went pretty great -- I've been invited to an in-person interview and I'm thrilled! Glad to hear your friend loves it :)