Fall 2017 EECS Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

abcde12345

On 3/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, Entangled Phantoms said:

I don't think this is true. 

This might have been the bigger issue:

---
"I am interested in researching a very niche part of quantum computing which unfortunately not many professors do. I've seen many guides telling me to apply for schools where there are 2-3 Profs I want to work with in mind, but this is very difficult for me since most schools often only have 1 professor working on something close to my interest. These professors are even sometimes in odd departments where they are the only one working on quantum computing and while the majority researchers are in Physics or CS dept."
---

If a school thinks that there's only one professor you'd be interested in working for, they will probably prioritize fellowship and TA support for students who have at least 2-3 professors they could conceivably work for. You've set yourself up where you need to thread the proverbial needle - get noticed by the one professor you are interested and hope they also just happen to have RA funding available for you right away. If you don't already have a Masters, then your task is even harder. 

I think you do have a point, perhaps if I knew more about how funding and the admission process worked better I would have pursued a different strategy. Perhaps the moral of the story is chase the money, not your interests. Although just out of my friend circles the ones which got good Ph.D. offers all had publications. Undoubtedly there is some correlation between the success of future Ph.D. students and publications in undergraduate, but I think the adcom is giving more credit to this factor than it deserves. Of course, they are also making decisions without perfect information so I can't blame them. I also haven't noticed many people with publications getting lots of rejections.

Edited by coolgod

12 hours ago, coolgod said:

I think you do have a point, perhaps if I knew more about how funding and the admission process worked better I would have pursued a different strategy. Perhaps the moral of the story is chase the money, not your interests. Although just out of my friend circles the ones which got good Ph.D. offers all had publications. Undoubtedly there is some correlation between the success of future Ph.D. students and publications in undergraduate, but I think the adcom is giving more credit to this factor than it deserves. Of course, they are also making decisions without perfect information so I can't blame them. I also haven't noticed many people with publications getting lots of rejections.

I don't think anyone said publications don't help. They certainly do. All else being equal, they are likely not necessary for someone with your credentials to gain admission to a top program. Plenty of UGs without publications get admitted to those schools.

Out of curiosity, what is the niche area of quantum computing/information that you are interested in? My AOI is quantum optics, although I am not wedded to a particular platform or construct. 

STILL waiting for PhD decision at University of Washington. I really thought their program was a great match for me but I'm assuming rejection since it's been this long. Does anyone know when visit day for University of Washington was?

On 2/13/2017 at 10:00 PM, Dreameir said:

Ahh thank you! I actually got word today that I have been unofficially admitted :D super happy right now. Goodluck to everyone out there!

Hello, 

I received word of my nomination yesterday. I have no idea if I should start celebrating yet. Are nominations from each dept. sent to the graduate division just for final approval or have you heard of anyone being nominated and not getting the fellowship? 

Still waiting on UMich CSE, I swear I'm on the waitlist yet no one informed me I'm on the waitlist. I thought the PI's email wording suggested I got rejected but I have no idea what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...