Someone created this last year and I thought it was a great idea to get different perspectives and see how others were coping with their rejections! :) I think it will be good for us to start one this year, and begin to decompress/start thinking of plan B (or C, or D, E.. etc) after rejections come trickling in.

Use the following template if it helps!

School
Area/Degree:
Rationalization:
Comment:
Coping tactics:

Glad you started this! 

School: Oklahoma State University
Area/Degree: Counseling Psychology PhD
Rationalization: "Your application was not competitive." My research interests were not the best fit with the school's emphasis. 
Comment:I suspected this and am not surprised.
Coping tactics: None needed, focusing on my other applications. Having a difficult year so I let it roll off my back.

School: UNC Chapel Hill
Area/Degree: Clinical
Rationalization: Others with slightly better fit
Comment: *sigh* I suspected this but POI offered to review my app on how to be more competitive.
Coping tactics: baking, working, writing a novel

School: USC
Area/Degree: clinical
Rationalization: Wasn't competitive (not invited to interview weekend)
Comment: Was pretty surprised but not too hurt
Coping tactics: same as above

1 hour ago, byn said:

School: University of Houston
Area/Degree: Clinical Psychology, PhD
Rationalization: Maybe low GREs, and POI had slightly different research interests than mine, although primary research interest was very close and POI mentioned before application period I was a "very strong fit for her lab" (Go figure)
Comment: None
Coping tactics: None at this time.. Still have hope for a couple of other applications. Honestly did not see myself living in Texas whatsoever anyways.. Got over that rejection e-mail very quickly!

Did you receive an actual rejection email? I applied here too but haven't heard anything; I've assumed rejection since I missed the notification period 

1 hour ago, abnumber5 said:

Glad you started this! 

School: Oklahoma State University
Area/Degree: Counseling Psychology PhD
Rationalization: "Your application was not competitive." My research interests were not the best fit with the school's emphasis. 
Comment:I suspected this and am not surprised.
Coping tactics: None needed, focusing on my other applications. Having a difficult year so I let it roll off my back.

I'm so sorry - I'm shocked they actually said "not competitive". That seems unnecessarily critical

On 1/15/2017 at 9:43 PM, JacobW83 said:

I'm so sorry - I'm shocked they actually said "not competitive". That seems unnecessarily critical

It was a little more honest than I was suspecting, but I'm a blunt person so I can understand their honesty. C'est la vie!

School: No official rejections, but it seems like quite a few invitation periods for my schools have passed at this point....
Rationalization: second guessing my SOPs, feeling like maybe I was too general and overly enthusiastic when I should've expanded more on critical details of my research and concrete ideas I had for projects with POIs. Also only one publication and no poster presentations
Comment: Getting pretty discouraged, not really sure when it's appropriate to start making plan B's?
Coping tactics: Researching other options

10 minutes ago, applicant17 said:

School: No official rejections, but it seems like quite a few invitation periods for my schools have passed at this point....
Rationalization: second guessing my SOPs, feeling like maybe I was too general and overly enthusiastic when I should've expanded more on critical details of my research and concrete ideas I had for projects with POIs. Also only one publication and no poster presentations
Comment: Getting pretty discouraged, not really sure when it's appropriate to start making plan B's?
Coping tactics: Researching other options

I wouldn't get too discouraged. I was just talking to a friend who's currently in her second year in a clinical program, and she said a lot of her interview invites didn't come until later in January and even into February. She said she had started to panic when she saw other people getting interviews but not her, but it worked out in the end. And she said her program hasn't even finished offering invitations to interview yet. I know it's anecdotal, but it really helped me put the brakes on my own anxiety and hopefully it's at least somewhat comforting for you as well.

But it also never hurts to be proactive if it will help take your mind off of things. I kind of went into the process with my plan B hashed out and it's made the process a lot less stressful for me personally. So you may find it helpful to start thinking of one as a "just in case". But don't let it be one extra stressor on your plate, you know? You've got this. Things don't always work out the way we want or expect, but the fact that you've made it this far in the process means you've got the skills to make it work out in the end.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:17 PM, 8BitJourney said:

School: UNC Chapel Hill
Rationalization: Others with slightly better fit
Comment: *sigh* I suspected this but POI offered to review my app on how to be more competitive.
Coping tactics: baking, working, writing a novel

School: USC
Area/Degree: clinical
Rationalization: Wasn't competitive (not invited to interview weekend)
Comment: Was pretty surprised but not too hurt
Coping tactics: same as above

When did you hear back from UNC?

I still haven't heard back. Am I supposed to directly email POI?

I actually love this, so much of academia is about what you've achieved and very rarely do people acknowledge their "failures." I had hoped to get at least two offers so I could feel like I had some choice in the matter, but ended up getting accepted to ONLY my top choice at this point, so I guess it could be worse. These are the ones I am pretty sure rejected me:

School: Yale, Minnesota, UCLA, Berkeley
Area/Degree: Social/developmental/community psych (really applied for PI, not program)
Rationalization: My quant GRE score was 70th percentile, my background research is really niche and probably put "old school" adcoms off, came from a small undergrad, been working in a fantastic lab for three years but the work here is unrelated to my grad school interests
Comment: It's cool, for most of my 12 applications I applied to a PI whose work was relevant enough to keep me interested during grad school but not really my topic of choice. Minnesota stings though, the PI seemed really into my application when I talked to her in the fall. I have 7 other schools but I'm not sure at this point who has sent interview invites.
Coping tactics: Celebrating my acceptance since I've already informally agreed to go there

56 minutes ago, CuppyCakerton said:

I wouldn't get too discouraged. I was just talking to a friend who's currently in her second year in a clinical program, and she said a lot of her interview invites didn't come until later in January and even into February. She said she had started to panic when she saw other people getting interviews but not her, but it worked out in the end. And she said her program hasn't even finished offering invitations to interview yet. I know it's anecdotal, but it really helped me put the brakes on my own anxiety and hopefully it's at least somewhat comforting for you as well.

But it also never hurts to be proactive if it will help take your mind off of things. I kind of went into the process with my plan B hashed out and it's made the process a lot less stressful for me personally. So you may find it helpful to start thinking of one as a "just in case". But don't let it be one extra stressor on your plate, you know? You've got this. Things don't always work out the way we want or expect, but the fact that you've made it this far in the process means you've got the skills to make it work out in the end.

This is giving me hope to hold out for a week or so longer before I start feeling more miserable!

Thank you :)

School: U Michigan Ann Arbor
Area/Degree: Social Psychology, PhD
Rationalization: standard rejection email about how everything was sooo competitive this email; my numbers and experience are excellent, I think, I was just a crappy fit for this program tbh
Comment: got 8 other schools to hear back from so kinda whatever about this
Coping tactics: none needed; I wasn't passionate about U Mich if we're being honest

1 hour ago, pikajoo4869 said:

When did you hear back from UNC?

I still haven't heard back. Am I supposed to directly email POI?

I had a pre-interview in late  December and found out I wasn't invited to in person in the first week of January 

School: UT Austin
Area/Degree: Counseling Psychology
Rationalization: Unfortunately, the POIs I was interested in were retiring (this was not indicated on the website and I only found out by emailing the POIs), and the other POIs listed just did not line up with my research interests. I was hoping there would be new faculty who might match, but the website was not up to date at all so I really went in blind.
Comment: (No official rejection yet, but it seems they've already sent interview invitations so I'm expecting rejection) I expected this result since I didn't match with current POIs listed on the website, but was hoping for a potential miracle. Oh well!
Coping tactics: Really pouring myself into the two interviews I have, which are really great fits for my interests and goals. I'm enthusiastic about these programs and professors, and I'm hoping I can nail the interview and get an offer! 

5 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I had a pre-interview in late  December and found out I wasn't invited to in person in the first week of January 

Sorry for keep asking but did you receive an email or you just know because you didn't receive an invitation email?

People have been talking about how on the unc website, they said they've already sent out all the invitation emails.

I could not find this anywhere on their website. Do you know anything about this?

School: UMass Boston
Area/Degree: Counseling PhD
Rationalization: I'm not "mature" enough for a PhD until I've done a Master's, apparently. They said they wanted someone w/ an MA in a related field or "more post BA clinical experience" but honestly I think it just boils down to "you're 22 and we're scared you'll burn out and cost us grant money"... it seems like they put more emphasis on clinical work over research (because, hey, I was actually employed part time in a clinical setting for a year in addition to doing full time work for research). Their loss.   
Comment: Offered a spot in the MA program, idk if I'll take it. I'd rather not spend two years doing unpaid clinical work when I could just earn more money doing research/clinical stuff for pay. 
Coping tactics: Focusing on achieving my final form: a bird comprised totally of salt and hatred. Gonna email POIs to see if the lack of clinical experience is what killed it for them or what. 

School: Kansas State

Program: I/O Psychology PhD

Rationalizations: "Competition for our institution is very keen,and unfortunately we are not able to admit every qualified applicant "

Comment: I am disappointed, but they were very genuine and polite in their communication. I hope I find a place in another program

Coping : Sleep. I got this email at 10pm EST and I have  be up for work at 5:30. I may treat myself by wearing an extra comfy outfit to work tomorrow, and maybe a junk snack

Applications: 12/12

Interviews: 1/12

Acceptances : 0/12 

Rejections : 1/12

1 hour ago, pikajoo4869 said:

Sorry for keep asking but did you receive an email or you just know because you didn't receive an invitation email?

People have been talking about how on the unc website, they said they've already sent out all the invitation emails.

I could not find this anywhere on their website. Do you know anything about this?

No problem, its a stressful process! Who's your POI (DM if you don't want to share it publicly?)

My POI emailed back saying that they unfortunately could not offer me an in-person interview at this time. They contacted their long list (10 - 15 applicants per POI i think) in late December/1st week of January all had to send in their short list in the first/second week of January of in-person invites so you haven't received one its very unlikely you will at this point. The POI I was interested in told me all this so I could plan accordingly; I didn't check the website. Sorry :( 

Edited by 8BitJourney

8 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

No problem, its a stressful process! Who's your POI (DM if you don't want to share it publicly?)

My POI emailed back saying that they unfortunately could not offer me an in-person interview at this time. They contacted their long list (10 - 15 applicants per POI i think) in late December/1st week of January all had to send in their short list in the first/second week of January of in-person invites so you haven't received one its very unlikely you will at this point. The POI I was interested in told me all this so I could plan accordingly; I didn't check the website. Sorry :( 

Thank you! And I'll be alright. It's disappointing since unc was my first choice, but oh well. I'll learn from my figure I guess. 

Thank you again for your help!

17 hours ago, dormcat said:

I actually love this, so much of academia is about what you've achieved and very rarely do people acknowledge their "failures." I had hoped to get at least two offers so I could feel like I had some choice in the matter, but ended up getting accepted to ONLY my top choice at this point, so I guess it could be worse. These are the ones I am pretty sure rejected me:

School: Yale, Minnesota, UCLA, Berkeley
Area/Degree: Social/developmental/community psych (really applied for PI, not program)
Rationalization: My quant GRE score was 70th percentile, my background research is really niche and probably put "old school" adcoms off, came from a small undergrad, been working in a fantastic lab for three years but the work here is unrelated to my grad school interests
Comment: It's cool, for most of my 12 applications I applied to a PI whose work was relevant enough to keep me interested during grad school but not really my topic of choice. Minnesota stings though, the PI seemed really into my application when I talked to her in the fall. I have 7 other schools but I'm not sure at this point who has sent interview invites.
Coping tactics: Celebrating my acceptance since I've already informally agreed to go there

Congrats! I would trade all of my interviews just for admission into my top choice.

School: UCLA
Area/Degree: Social Psychology 
Rationalization: Too many qualified candidates. Probably also lack of direct relevant research experience. All my research experience is in unrelated areas.
Comment: Expected since I was not invited to interview, but it's still disappointing. 
Coping tactics: Focusing on preparing for upcoming interviews and research projects. 

School Name: Northeastern University
Rationalization: Who knows. Too many known and unknown variables to consider.
Comment: Emailed DCT and received an email stating final decisions about admissions would be made in the coming few weeks.
Coping Tactics: Prepping for interviews and doing school work.

School Name: University of Maryland College Park
Rationalization: Who knows. Too many known and unknown variables to consider.
Comment: Assuming no invite.
Coping Tactics: Prepping for interviews and doing school work.

**NOTE: NONE of these are official. But I believe pre-interviews and invites already went out or I just have a bad gut feeling**

School: Duke, Penn State, UConn, UMiami with USC and Chapel Hill this makes 6/14. Anticipating at least 3 more rejections
Rationalization: Invites already went out, TGC forums
Comment: Bleh I hate this process. I don't feel like I'm entitled to a spot or anything but there has to be a more organized way to do this (like publish an estimate of when pre-interviews are conducted and interview invites will go out.) The CUDCP calendar has some schools but not enough for proper planning especially if you have to pay for transportation, lodging, and figuring out taking time off.
Coping tactics: Wrote two status inquiry letters with everything I wanted to say then deleted them to relieve anxiety. No point in blatantly showing a POI that I'm desparate XD and it won't give me an edge up. Cleaning and video games since I can't focus on work.

School: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Rationalization: Too many applicants for few spots
Comment: I really hoped I would get an interview so it kind of stings, but it wasn't my top choice
Coping tactics: Focusing on upcoming interview and my new job

I also think I was rejected from University of Houston because I did not receive an interview invitation.