Retaking a course, worth it or not?

jslvfe77

Question

Hello awesome people,

I am a senior who is planning on applying to psychology graduate program. I have been involved in research projects and also internships that greatly enhanced my understanding of the subject matter, and I believe going to a graduate school will definitely equip me better.

I am wondering if it is a wise move to retake a class (not a core class by the way) that I got A minus in. It's not a core class but I have 4 other advanced classes that I am taking and I thought why not shove that A minus class in and get an A. My intention is to see whether I can do slightly better his time. However, I've been receiving advises that did not encourage doing this, I am wondering if that's the same case in this forum as well. 

What are the pros and cons of doing this, particularly when I apply to prestigious and competitive grad programs (which I refer to Research 1 universities, not only big name schools like Harvard and Yale)?

Note: I am an international student from Japan. This is my 8th year studying in the U.S (4 years in high school, another 4 years in the university). My GPA is 3.9, GRE is 158/160. 

6 answers to this question

With a GPA and GRE like yours, no one is going to care about one A-. Don't waste your time retaking the class for what will be no more than a slight and ultimately insignificant improvement. Instead invest your time in activities that matter, such as lab work, independent study, more advanced courses or seminars, etc. Or just give yourself a break, grad school will be hard enough work, you also need to learn to relax and pace yourself. 

Also agreed. The difference between an A- and an A is not the difference between getting admitted and getting rejected, but trying to earn that A instead of building out your research experiences or being a little less stressed about school could hurt your application (depending on your current research experiences and how much time you plan to dedicate to the application process starting this semester).

Depending on how your school deals with retaken courses, you may be worse off by retaking it. I say that because at some schools, when you retake a course, it shows that you've retaken it and doesn't show what you previously earned in that course. Consequently, someone looking at your transcript wouldn't know that you got an A- the first time and might (quite logically) conclude that you performed quite poorly (C or lower) the first time, which is why you decided to retake it. And I say they might logically reach that conclusion because typically students don't retake a course unless they earn a C or lower (in fact, some schools prohibit retakes from students who aren't in this position). 

The A- is the least of your worries. The fact that you're worried about it suggests to me that you may have some underlying doubt/concerns or imposter syndrome. All of those are things you should aim to tackle before applying as grad school will only exacerbate them.