Skype interviews — what to expect, how to prepare

theorynetworkculture

1 hour ago, theorynetworkculture said:

A number of programs appear to be doing Skype interviews this year — this seems to be a recent development in sociology. I was curious what people's experiences with Skype interviews have been, and what advice they'd give.

Thanks for posting this!  I don't really have any advice because my only skype interview was for a job last year and not for a program so I too would like to hear what others have to say!  (I'd assume dress like you should for an interview in person and be in a quiet/clean place.)

Edited by montanem

You'll find that most "interviews" and conversations of this nature are pretty low-key and informal. They already know your background and obviously like what they see on paper. The next step is to see how you interact and whether you have the kind of personality they want to be around for the next 5+ years.

Expect lots of get-to-know-you type questions and some inquiries about your research interests and any relevant information on your application/cv. Generally speaking, the person doing the interview will not ask you detailed questions to test your knowledge of theory/methods but it would help to be familiar with some of the relevant works in your area. You should also be somewhat familiar with the works of your potential advisor(s). However, don't try too hard to impress.

You should absolutely ask some questions of your own--about the program but also about the person you are speaking with. 

Other than that, try to be as relaxed as possible and be prepared to be chatty. Smile and be cool. A warm personality and a positive attitude go a long way. Good luck!

Edited by socilinda