MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2017 (Canada)

toward the ocean

I suppose we all finished submitting our applications and wait for some news. Let's talk about our issues and developments of applications.

I'm waiting for 2 universities (UVic and USask) and applied for MPA.

Edited by toward the ocean

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to both Carleton's MPPA and Queen's MPA programs, and currently awaiting a response from both anxiously.

BA: Poli Sci, Economics minor

MUN Team VP

Research Assistant in Undergrad

Strong LOR's 

Internship for Member of Parliament, currently working as a policy analyst for MP

CGPA: 3.94

Edited by elizabethzane

@elizabethzane It seems to me that with such a background and GPA score, you should be admitted to wherever you apply. Have you already taken the GMAT, if yes what was the result? If the GMAT score is also high, I cannot imagine you being rejected.

By the way, have you tried to get in touch with the program professors? There are various suggestions about this issue.And to tell you the truth, I don't know, what is the right way.

I attended a Canadian university for my undergrad, and wasn't required to write the GMAT. 

I haven't been in touch with the program's professors, but I have looked into them. Both programs I applied to have appear to have very credentialed faculty members. 

16 minutes ago, toward the ocean said:

@msat Good luck with your applications)).

Do you have any information about how long it takes for Canadian universities to respond to domestic and international applicants? I am getting more and more impatient.

Thank you!

It depends on the program/school. Where did you apply?

Edited by msat

54 minutes ago, toward the ocean said:

@msat I have applied to 2 universities - University of Victoria and University of Saskatchewan for the MPA Fall program of 2017.

I'm an international applicant.

have you checked previous year's thread on grad cafe for those programs and schools? Have you called the schools and asked?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, toward the ocean said:

Glad to hear that. Congratulations to your friend. I'm looking forward to hear the same from you))

I did not apply to SFU's MPP program.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to update you that my MPPA application to Carleton is "Recommended for Assessment," so it looks like they are moving along over there. Additionally, I heard from the SPPG @ U of T that they received 650 applications this year and are 2-3 weeks away from making 1st round offers. 

4 hours ago, amurs00 said:

Hey guys - I applied to both UofT MPP & Queens MPA.

Just a heads up, I got accepted into Queen's MPA today via email (first choice due to program length).

Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your application?

17 hours ago, amurs00 said:

Hey guys - I applied to both UofT MPP & Queens MPA.

Just a heads up, I got accepted into Queen's MPA today via email (first choice due to program length).

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you think you will be accepting? Or waiting for U of T? 

1 hour ago, Duplified said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you think you will be accepting? Or waiting for U of T? 

Thanks! I will most likely accept. The time / cost commitment at UofT is off-putting (plus, with the amount of applicants it seems difficult to get acceptance). 

Thought I would share my stats for those interested: Canadian Applicant (BA, MA), Undergrad cGPA: 3.9, Grad cGPA: 4.0, No previous policy experience. Research experience (TA/RA)