MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2017 (Canada)

toward the ocean

On 2017-04-03 at 6:32 PM, msaik said:

After deliberation I decided to accept my offer for U of T SPPG. I paid my deposit too. I guess information on registration and stuff comes later in order for the status of "invited" to change? This is my first time applying to grad school so the process is foreign to me.

Yeah, I also solidified my decision after a few weeks of deliberation. When I spoke to Sherry she said they will be in touch from May onwards regarding orientation and registration. I believe the status on ROSI/Acorn will change once Student Accounts has received and confirmed your payment. Either way, we will hear more in May.

Congratulations! See you in fall.

I am already desperate for any news from UVic. Is there anybody who was admitted to the MPA program of UVic or maybe rejected? Does anyone have information when to anticipate any news? Please, respond! Thanks in advance!

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone knew about the Ryerson MA Public Policy and Administration program, and how it compares to U of T/ SPPG MPP. I have received funding from Ryerson, and the program is definitely shorter (one year compared to U of T's 2 years MPP). Can anyone let me know how they might differ in terms of their reputation and if the increased tuition at U of T is worth it?

Thanks!  

11 hours ago, toward the ocean said:

I am already desperate for any news from UVic. Is there anybody who was admitted to the MPA program of UVic or maybe rejected? Does anyone have information when to anticipate any news? Please, respond! Thanks in advance!

I still haven't heard anything either. My application page still says "under review from department". Apparently they extended the deadline this year so maybe that has to do with it? I don't know if I should worry or not.

22 hours ago, toward the ocean said:

I'm fairly well connected to the public admin community in Victoria by virtue of my job and I'm pretty sure they haven't released any decisions.They only started reviewing applications a week or two ago, based on the email I received when I inquired and some posts made by the official UVic Reddit account in response to someone asking a similar question. I don't understand why they would make the application deadline Jan 15 if they had no intention of reviewing applications until late March or early April. 

1 hour ago, informationless said:

I'm fairly well connected to the public admin community in Victoria by virtue of my job and I'm pretty sure they haven't released any decisions.They only started reviewing applications a week or two ago, based on the email I received when I inquired and some posts made by the official UVic Reddit account in response to someone asking a similar question. I don't understand why they would make the application deadline Jan 15 if they had no intention of reviewing applications until late March or early April. 

it seems really late for sure, I think a lot of MPA/MPP have already made decisions and have deadlines by the 15th of April to accept so it's pushing it. But hopefully we'll hear soon!

12 hours ago, informationless said:

did you apply to the on campus or online MPA at UVic?

On 4/6/2017 at 2:40 PM, ADhalwani said:

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone knew about the Ryerson MA Public Policy and Administration program, and how it compares to U of T/ SPPG MPP. I have received funding from Ryerson, and the program is definitely shorter (one year compared to U of T's 2 years MPP). Can anyone let me know how they might differ in terms of their reputation and if the increased tuition at U of T is worth it?

Thanks!  

From my own research, got a chance to speak to a few people from the UofT SPPG, they have told me it prepares you will for the job field, great networking opportunities, internship placement has been well paid and many people go on from their to get jobs. I have heard that the Ryerson program is nicely tied with the City of Toronto while UofT with Ontario government. But honestly speaking it doesn't seem like its worth it personally considering the amount of money they want from you and their lack of financial assistance. A lot of the pros are because its UofT.

16 hours ago, informationless said:

Hi, today I received my acceptance to the UVic MPA Online program. I hope you hear something soon!

congratulations!!! my status just moved from "under review" to "recommended by department" today so I hope that's good news? I'm applying for on-campus, so we'll see. 

congrats again :)

Hey for those that got in to the UVic MPA online program... do you mind sharing your years of experience/GPA etc.? I haven't heard anything yet and it still says "under review" so am curious as to those who already got in. 

I just got an email saying I got accepted to UVic on Campus program. I hope you guys hear soon! From what I heard, they're informing online students this week or shortly! but congrats everyone who has heard so far!

1 hour ago, JLS15 said:

I just got an email saying I got accepted to UVic on Campus program. I hope you guys hear soon! From what I heard, they're informing online students this week or shortly! but congrats everyone who has heard so far!

Congratulations))) Are you international student?

1 hour ago, gandalf01 said:

Does anyone know the process for accept/decline for the UVic MPA online? Mine still says "Under Review by Department"

Mine was "under review" until it changed to "recommended for admission" this morning and then I reviewed my email for acceptance. Make sure to check your junk box too. That's where my email from uvic was. This was for on-campus though but I'm sure they have the same process. Good luck!

7 hours ago, JLS15 said:

congratulations!!! my status just moved from "under review" to "recommended by department" today so I hope that's good news? I'm applying for on-campus, so we'll see. 

congrats again :)

Congrats! That's wonderful news. If you decide to accept the offer, I obviously won't see you around campus because I'm an online student, but I do live in Victoria and highly recommend that you join the IPAC Victoria group and come out to some of the events. There's lots of networking/pub night events. 

5 hours ago, gandalf01 said:

Does anyone know the process for accept/decline for the UVic MPA online? Mine still says "Under Review by Department"

When I received an email from the graduate secretary of the School of Public Admin with my offer of admission, my status still said "Under Review by Department" and didn't change until later in the day. In the letter it said to email the grad secretary re: accepting or declining the offer, and instructions on how to submit the deposit to secure a spot. Last night I received an email from Graduate Admissions and Records, notifying me that I had been recommended for admission by the School of Public Administration, and they would review my application and notify me by email when I was officially admitted. My status changed this afternoon to "provisionally admitted" but they haven't emailed yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from the grad coordinator at Carleton that they prepared an offer and Central states that I'm in "review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Post Doctoral Affairs"! See you in the fall!

On 3/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, tashap18 said:

I attended the info session for the UofT MPP- at the session they stated the program is no longer eligible for UTAPS funding! If you've been admitted and are depending on this, pls follow up.

Just an update for those interested in UTAPs for the 2017/2018 MPP program, the following information was retrieved directly from U of T's website:

2017-18 UTAPS Eligible Programs

• All undergraduate programs
  • All doctoral-stream masters and doctoral programs

Note: If you don’t see your program of study in this list, contact your Registrar.

Faculty of Arts and Science – St. George

• All undergraduate programs in Computer Science, Humanities, Life Sciences, Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Rotman Commerce, Social Sciences
  • All doctoral-stream masters and doctoral programs
  • Master of Public Policy (MPP) – Students in year 2 only
  • Master of Global Affairs (MGA) – Students in year 2 only

2017-18 Scotiabank Line of Credit Programs

Canadian citizens and permanent residents in the following professional master’s programs (and year of study, if applicable) are not eligible for UTAPS but have the option of borrowing funds through the Scotiabank Line of Credit program. In a few programs, as indicated, the line of credit option is for students starting Year 1 of their professional master’s program in 2017-18.

Students should contact Scotiabank, Queen and McCaul Branch, at 1-416-866-6591 to set up an appointment to learn more about the Scotiabank Student Line of Credit or visit http://www.scotiabank.com/ca. In addition, you can speak to your program registrar.

Faculty of Arts and Science – St. George

• Master of Financial Economics (MFE)
  • Master of Industrial Relations and Human Resources (MIRHR)
  • Master of Mathematical Finance (MMF)
  • Master of Science in Applied Computing (MScAC) 
  • Master of Science in Planning (MCsPI)
  • Master of Urban Design Studies (MUDS)
  • Master of Global Affairs – Students in Year 1 only
  • Master of Public Policy – Students in Year 1 only
  • Master of Financial Insurance – Students in Year 1 only

• 2 weeks later...