MIT Media Lab Fall 2017

playfire

I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so here's one for all applicants to share what we know.

About a week ago, my website had 5 new visitors from MIT, the longest staying on for about 10 minutes. So far, no PIs have returned my emails or reached out about an interview. From the previous year's results, I expect most interviews to start early February.

I had the opportunity to go to the October open house. Here's what I've picked up so far (may not be 100% true):

Biomechatronics: Hugh Herr likes to take Harvard-MIT HST students because they are fully funded. In fact, being fully funded one way or another seems to be the key to get into his lab. He is also going on sabbatical this year, but is still accepting students. Very focused on the science and publishing, not as artsy.

Mediated Matter: I get the impression Neri Oxman likes to be very involved with her students. It seems like she really cares. Her students mentioned that she will read every bit of your portfolio and likes to see proper attribution for anything on your site. Interviews will be with her and several current students to check for culture fit. More artsy, but also getting into the publishing game.

Conformable Decoders. Canan Dagdeviren is brand new, just done with her postdoc. No information yet, but I'd imagine this will be a more science-focused lab based on her background.

Design Fiction: Very small group of females. The most artsy of all the labs. I believe they're looking for someone who has already made a splash in the art world.

If you have anything to add, please do!

Edited by playfire

There were about 20-25 total visitors to that lab during the open house. I think it was hinted that there would be one or two spots. I would guess 40-50 apps. 

Edited by playfire

2 hours ago, playfire said:

There were about 20-25 total visitors to that lab during the open house. I think it was hinted that there would be one or two spots. I would guess 40-50 apps. 

Cool, thanks! I wonder how many people get an interview..

I've had an interview with the PI from Opera of the Future.

I have also had an interview with a PhD candidate from Mediated Matter, followed by an interview with the PI and two weeks later a presentation for the group at the lab. A week later I got a follow up email from the PI.. but still no acceptance or rejection.

Do you guys think they're going to wait until March?

On 1/17/2017 at 11:02 AM, playfire said:

I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so here's one for all applicants to share what we know.

About a week ago, my website had 5 new visitors from MIT, the longest staying on for about 10 minutes. So far, no PIs have returned my emails or reached out about an interview. From the previous year's results, I expect most interviews to start early February.

I had the opportunity to go to the October open house. Here's what I've picked up so far (may not be 100% true):

Biomechatronics: Hugh Herr likes to take Harvard-MIT HST students because they are fully funded. In fact, being fully funded one way or another seems to be the key to get into his lab. He is also going on sabbatical this year, but is still accepting students. Very focused on the science and publishing, not as artsy.

Mediated Matter: I get the impression Neri Oxman likes to be very involved with her students. It seems like she really cares. Her students mentioned that she will read every bit of your portfolio and likes to see proper attribution for anything on your site. Interviews will be with her and several current students to check for culture fit. More artsy, but also getting into the publishing game.

Conformable Decoders. Canan Dagdeviren is brand new, just done with her postdoc. No information yet, but I'd imagine this will be a more science-focused lab based on her background.

Design Fiction: Very small group of females. The most artsy of all the labs. I believe they're looking for someone who has already made a splash in the art world.

If you have anything to add, please do!

Thanks a lot for your info, I applied to Design Fiction, since I have a more "artsy" background as a design student, but I guess lacking much experience is the main reason I got rejected this year. I will keep working on applications for next year, at the same time I'm looking at UCLA's media arts program, too. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm into media arts stuff. Thanks and good luck :)

@Mi5lakie I'm not too big into design myself, definitely more science/engineering. I hear NYU has some sort of interdisciplinary lab and the Stanford d.school exists (but doesn't offer a degree). That's all I got. 

@sam1142 Thank you! I don't feel comfortable doing that since there's a ton of personal info. I bet someone reasonably dedicated could figure me out just by doing some keyword searches based on my post history. I guarantee the main thing that got me in was research fit, perseverance contacting the PI, and asking him good questions.