prosody/syntax/semantics interface

inrebusveritas

Hello!

Looking for any suggestions on good places for this particular combination of interests (either Master's or PhD). I've been narrowing down a list for applying to programs this coming fall. So far I've zeroed in on CUNY and UCLA, as both have professors I'd really like to work with in this area, especially on sentence processing and the implicit prosody hypothesis. Anyone have any info on research being done in this area at other schools? Would love to hear input. Thanks!

Caveat: This is not my specialty, so I might not know some obvious people/universities. That said.

People who come to mind (details about departments in PM if you wish): Michael Wagner, Lauren Clemens, Byron Ahn, Lisa Cheng.

Places where the setup would be more syntax/semantics lab + someone on the phonology side: U of Maryland, UC Santa Cruz, UConn, UMich, Stanford, NYU, U of Delaware, UC Santa Barbara. Also, UMass: http://www.umass.edu/linguistics/prosody-lab. Can't really straight up tell you that this setup would work, so think of this more as suggestions for places you should look at more closely. 

Hi inrebusveritas,

Re the NYC area:

CUNY is indeed a good choice; Jason Bishop and Janet Fodor would be an especially good mix --- the former is a phonologist who works specifically on prosody, the latter is a syntactician who works on sentence processing and is also interested in the prosody/syntax interface. There are, of course, other syntax and semantics people there --- and tons of  other processing people, too. You would also be able to attend classes and events at NYU (and other schools that are members of the local inter-university consortium, of course, but NYU is super-close to CUNY).

You might as well consider applying to NYU, too. We have a good crew of syntax and semantics people. There is currently no one at our dept who works on prosody (not that it can't change in the future), but you'd have access to CUNY folks.

(Feel free to PM me, too, if you have further questions.)