Overwhelmed with College, Graduate School, and a Low GPA

JohnSGrad95

Question

I've been feeling overwhelmed lately, especially with college, figuring out what to do after I graduate from college, applying to graduate school, and what to do with a sub 3.0 GPA. I entered college thinking I was going to enter medicine, but maybe that wasn't the right path for me. Maybe it was, and my interests diverged too much. Maybe I wasn't focused enough. Either way, my grades for the first two and a half years (or maybe even 3) of college weren't stellar. I switched majors (Psychology) and started doing well in classes. I had a 3.61 semester GPA last semester. However, I'm currently a senior and am looking into graduate programs. I was thinking of entering public health and am currently applying to schools. I've been overwhelmed with finding a post-graduation plan because it seems that people who don't have post-graduate plans are stigmatized in society, either by family members, friends, or the stigma may even be internal. I know that I could have definitely done things differently in college, but here I am-senior year. I'm trying to pick up the pieces as best as I can with the time I have left. I worried that if I enter the workforce now, I won't really have many prospective employers, as I have a sub 3.0 GPA, and I've always wanted to continue my education so I can move up the societal ladder so to speak. I just need some guidance as to what I can do. I really feel as though I dug my own grave, and there's no climbing out of it. Can anyone help me?

5 answers to this question

Are you only considering US institutions? If not, you can consider Canadian schools. You don't really need to worry about your GPA since they usually look at the last 2 years of your undgrad (or 10 senior level courses). 

If you have some experience with research and other health related stuff through volunteer work, I would urge you to apply to at least 2 schools this year and see if you get in. While you are waiting for the results, you can find an internship or a research position that is related to public health. 

If you do not get in after your first try, you can apply to more schools the year after. I have no information on your previous experiences, but I am sure you have some. It is good to go through grad school application process more than once (although it is definitely better to get in after your first try) because you actually learn a lot. Of course, this also depends on your financial capacity so do what is best for you!

Applications are still open for some Canadian schools: McMaster U(Jan 25th), Queen's U, University of Alberta (Jan 30th), Dalhousie U (Jan 31st) and Western U(Feb 15th) 

Lastly, you don't need to worry about your GPA for jobs because most people do not ask for your GPA during the hiring process! 

10 hours ago, COGSCI said:

Are you only considering US institutions? If not, you can consider Canadian schools. You don't really need to worry about your GPA since they usually look at the last 2 years of your undgrad (or 10 senior level courses). 

If you have some experience with research and other health related stuff through volunteer work, I would urge you to apply to at least 2 schools this year and see if you get in. While you are waiting for the results, you can find an internship or a research position that is related to public health. 

If you do not get in after your first try, you can apply to more schools the year after. I have no information on your previous experiences, but I am sure you have some. It is good to go through grad school application process more than once (although it is definitely better to get in after your first try) because you actually learn a lot. Of course, this also depends on your financial capacity so do what is best for you!

Applications are still open for some Canadian schools: McMaster U(Jan 25th), Queen's U, University of Alberta (Jan 30th), Dalhousie U (Jan 31st) and Western U(Feb 15th) 

Lastly, you don't need to worry about your GPA for jobs because most people do not ask for your GPA during the hiring process! 

Thanks for helping out. I am kind of just considering US institutions because if I apply elsewhere, I may have to also consider the cost of housing, and I'm not really a person of means. Do you have any other tips or advice? Thanks again for helping out! 

37 minutes ago, JohnSGrad95 said:

Thanks for helping out. I am kind of just considering US institutions because if I apply elsewhere, I may have to also consider the cost of housing, and I'm not really a person of means. Do you have any other tips or advice? Thanks again for helping out! 

With the exchange rate and everything, living in Canada would be much cheaper. Also tuition is definitely cheaper than US. 

If you want to stick with US institutions, you would need to work on building your research and work experience related to public health. Take a year or two to work in health psyc labs or other public health research institutes. Since your GPA is not strong, focus on GRE as well. 

Lastly, search for schools that you can actually get into. I would still encourage you to apply to your dream schools (may be 2 or 3) but I would definitely include lower ranked schools on your list just to be safe.  

Good luck! 

You can also take a year off and work first to help figure out your interests more before you start applying to graduate school. You probably have some applications in already for the fall, but its something to consider.

Fellow sub 3.0er here! It's great that the last two years you GPA was a lot better. But given your overall GPA is still low, you need to figure out how else to make yourself stand apart from the piles of applications. Do you have experience in your intended field? Can you potentially job shadow? Taking time off of school is not a bad thing and gives you time to strengthen your skills and application.