Hey everyone!

I've seen a whole bunch of area and school specific posts and decided to go ahead and start one for Boston so we can all keep each other updated.

I applied to Simmons, Boston College and Smith (which is a ways outside of Boston but I figured I'd give it a mention anyway). Simmons sent me an email that they made a decision and placed it in the mail on Friday. All of this waiting is driving me nuts!

Edited by HaleyWantstobeaTherapist

20 hours ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

Hey everyone!

I've seen a whole bunch of area and school specific posts and decided to go ahead and start one for Boston so we can all keep each other updated.

I applied to Simmons, Boston College and Smith (which is a ways outside of Boston but I figured I'd give it a mention anyway). Simmons sent me an email that they made a decision and placed it in the mail on Friday. All of this waiting is driving me nuts!

Hey! I've seen you on the other forum, so thanks for starting a Boston specific one. I'm only applying to colleges in/near Boston. I got to visit the city and schools this past fall and LOVED it. I grew up near DC and was expecting people to be about the same, but honestly people were much nicer in Boston. I was shocked. Me starting an MSW program is basically a restart for my professional career (and I will be 30 this year), so I'm really excited to start. I've been planning the move and degree program for 2  years now, so I can't wait to see where I end up! 

Also, Simmons not telling you in the email must be frustrating...I can't believe they wouldn't post the decision online. 

4 hours ago, Amanda87 said:

Hey! I've seen you on the other forum, so thanks for starting a Boston specific one. I'm only applying to colleges in/near Boston. I got to visit the city and schools this past fall and LOVED it. I grew up near DC and was expecting people to be about the same, but honestly people were much nicer in Boston. I was shocked. Me starting an MSW program is basically a restart for my professional career (and I will be 30 this year), so I'm really excited to start. I've been planning the move and degree program for 2  years now, so I can't wait to see where I end up! 

Also, Simmons not telling you in the email must be frustrating...I can't believe they wouldn't post the decision online. 

I visited a little over a year ago and fell in love with the area as well! The people were so friendly. It really shocked me too. 

Im a big travel buff, so my only qualm with attending in Boston is that I think I eventually want to settle there long term, so I may want to attend in a different area first to really experience other places before settling. That's one of the reasons Smith appeals to me so much. Honestly, though, when I picture myself in grad school the setting tends to be Boston. I guess I'll just have to see what happens!

I wish you the best of luck! What specific schools did you apply to?

11 hours ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

I visited a little over a year ago and fell in love with the area as well! The people were so friendly. It really shocked me too. 

Im a big travel buff, so my only qualm with attending in Boston is that I think I eventually want to settle there long term, so I may want to attend in a different area first to really experience other places before settling. That's one of the reasons Smith appeals to me so much. Honestly, though, when I picture myself in grad school the setting tends to be Boston. I guess I'll just have to see what happens!

I wish you the best of luck! What specific schools did you apply to?

I actually want to settle in Boston for school and long-term. I can't wait! 

I applied to BC, Salem State, and Wheelock. BC is my #1, but barring basically a full ride I'll probably go to SSU. Wheelock is basically my safety school. I did visit Smith and really liked it, but I decided not to even apply once they told me about only having 2 weeks to accept admission once you're notified. It didn't add up with the other schools and it seems like you'd find out from them before you knew about all your options. 

Just got accepted to Boston College today, I am so excited! Has anyone else heard back? I'm a little bit nervous because while I have heard any scholarship info comes in the form of an email, I have also heard it comes through the mail. Anyone have any info on this?

3 hours ago, ilovemydog said:

Just got accepted to Boston College today, I am so excited! Has anyone else heard back? I'm a little bit nervous because while I have heard any scholarship info comes in the form of an email, I have also heard it comes through the mail. Anyone have any info on this?

Oh wow congrats!!! When was your application submitted? And how did they notify you? 

On 1/20/2017 at 7:50 AM, Amanda87 said:

I actually want to settle in Boston for school and long-term. I can't wait! 

I applied to BC, Salem State, and Wheelock. BC is my #1, but barring basically a full ride I'll probably go to SSU. Wheelock is basically my safety school. I did visit Smith and really liked it, but I decided not to even apply once they told me about only having 2 weeks to accept admission once you're notified. It didn't add up with the other schools and it seems like you'd find out from them before you knew about all your options. 

Oh yeah, that's definitely true. It only makes sense if it's basically your first choice, which it is for me. 

I just recieved my financial package from Simmons, and I'm just trying to figure out how anybody pays for these programs plus the cost of living ?

9 hours ago, ilovemydog said:

I believe I submitted my application on Janurary 2nd or 3rd and they notified me through email 

Oh man I'm going to be checking my email like a crazy person now. My application was complete on December 20th!

congratulations again, though. Do you think you'll be attending?

14 hours ago, ilovemydog said:

Omg, I'm freaking out! I hope I'll hear this week. When did you apply and how did you hear?

Edit: ...sorry I went back and read some more comments. I'm really happy for you! I can't wait to find out. I can't imagine waiting for more schools, I only applied to 3 and now that I have one acceptance I want the rest!

Edited by Amanda87
read previous comments

I just wanted to update you guys since I got the letter in the mail yesterday- scholarship offers seems to be following the same format as it did in previous years. It comes in your admissions packet behind the acceptance sheet.

Good luck! 

Edited by ilovemydog

4 minutes ago, ilovemydog said:

I just wanted to update you guys since I got the letter in the mail yesterday- scholarship offers seems to be following the same format as it did in previous years. It comes in your admissions packet behind the acceptance sheet.

Good luck! 

For BC? Were you applying for advanced standing? I hope to hear soon!!

I'm not sure, I'm waiting to hear back from a few other schools before I commit to anything. Though, this offer is hard to resist! I'm planning a time to go visit Boston and that will hopefully help me decide things. I'm sure you will be hearing back soon! Waiting is the worst part. 

6 minutes ago, ilovemydog said:

I'm not sure, I'm waiting to hear back from a few other schools before I commit to anything. Though, this offer is hard to resist! I'm planning a time to go visit Boston and that will hopefully help me decide things. I'm sure you will be hearing back soon! Waiting is the worst part. 

Definitely! I loved my visit at BC. I emailed prior to going and they set a meeting up with the assistant dean of the School of Social Work Admissions. He had a lot of great information. I went with some questions already written down and took notes. Definitely take some time to check out the campus too, it is breathtaking. I'd never been to a college with so many great, old, gothic style buildings and it was amazing to see it in person. I also took the T to get to and from the campus to really experience it. Apparently that branch of the T is the oldest and slowest, but I didn't have any problems with it. 

45 minutes ago, ilovemydog said:

Oh I meant to ask one more thing! Did BC give you a time limit to accept their offer?

I created this account so I can let you know, I got my decision via e-mail today from BC. I was accepted. I applied on the 11th for the 2 year clinical Health/Mental Health track. I'm going to attend.

29 minutes ago, bizzyk said:

I created this account so I can let you know, I got my decision via e-mail today from BC. I was accepted. I applied on the 11th for the 2 year clinical Health/Mental Health track. I'm going to attend.

The 11th of what month? It looks like they've gotten into responding to those looking to enter the two year program!

congrats!!! If I were to attend, I would be entering the health/mental health track as well. 

41 minutes ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

The 11th of what month? It looks like they've gotten into responding to those looking to enter the two year program!

congrats!!! If I were to attend, I would be entering the health/mental health track as well. 

January. Hope you hear back soon. Checking emails frequently was driving me crazy! Just glad I can go back to focusing on other things.

30 minutes ago, HB824 said:

Hi guys I have been checking this group and looking through posts for a while I heard from BC today and I applied on December 6th, and everything was in except for my official transcript which was received and processed on December 15! Hope that info helps!

I hope I hear soon!! I just got notification I got into Salem State University!!