Fall 2017 Fordham

peter8920

2 hours ago, lovetodogood said:

I live in NYC and applied to NYU, Columbia, Hunter and fordham...(only havent heard back from hunter) but based on many sw alumni/students I've spoken too, Fordham is the least known/connected of those 4 within NYC. But still have a good program, just probably not the strongest of the NYC programs.

The only reason i haven't turned down NYU is because I'm interested in a clinical concentration and looking through the curriculum it seems that the courses would be more beneficial and there's also so many electives to choose from. I've heard both programs compete/receive the same field placements (not sure how true that is).

I really like Fordham even though the program really is overshadowed by the others you mentioned but then again not really since it is ranked higher than NYU from what i have researched. It is also less expensive. Looking through reviews in graduateprograms.com and ratemyprofessor.com it seems people liked Fordham's MSW program better (not that i would based my decision entirely on student reviews because who knows maybe they didn't do as well in the course and that's why they're bashing the program/professors.

Ultimately I think I will based my decision on how i feel after i visit both campuses and who offers better financial aid.

18 hours ago, 12sliders said:

Hmm..interesting post. Which school do you think is the strongest of those you mentioned? And for what reasons?

I've been told by almost 100% of those people that Hunter is the strongest program. But also the most competitive to get into! Again, they are all strong within NYC and will give good job prospects but apparently Hunter is looked at the most positively by employers. I heard pretty eh things about Columbia TBH and really good things about NYU and Hunter.

17 hours ago, MSWnyc94 said:

The only reason i haven't turned down NYU is because I'm interested in a clinical concentration and looking through the curriculum it seems that the courses would be more beneficial and there's also so many electives to choose from. I've heard both programs compete/receive the same field placements (not sure how true that is).

I really like Fordham even though the program really is overshadowed by the others you mentioned but then again not really since it is ranked higher than NYU from what i have researched. It is also less expensive. Looking through reviews in graduateprograms.com and ratemyprofessor.com it seems people liked Fordham's MSW program better (not that i would based my decision entirely on student reviews because who knows maybe they didn't do as well in the course and that's why they're bashing the program/professors.

Ultimately I think I will based my decision on how i feel after i visit both campuses and who offers better financial aid.

Yes absolutely go with what you feel! I felt like based on whom I have spoken to that are working within SW in NYC, they really all will give you the same opportunities. I liked the vibe of NYU the best by far of all the NYC schools and I received a lot of aid so I'm leaning there.

3 hours ago, lovetodogood said:

I've been told by almost 100% of those people that Hunter is the strongest program. But also the most competitive to get into! Again, they are all strong within NYC and will give good job prospects but apparently Hunter is looked at the most positively by employers. I heard pretty eh things about Columbia TBH and really good things about NYU and Hunter.

What have you heard about Fordham?

• 2 weeks later...
On February 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM, MSWnyc94 said:

I've also been accepted and currently deciding between Fordham and NYU. I've been seeing better reviews for Fordham so far :ph34r:

Tell me more what have these reviews been saying?

10 hours ago, Bella429 said:

Tell me more what have these reviews been saying?

The reviews on graduateprograms.com and ratemyprofessor.com are based more on the student's overall happiness with the program and the quality of education as well as how supported they feel and how they feel they're treated by faculty and such.

I went to an information session for NYU on February 15th and just attended Fordham's information session yesterday. I also went on a campus tour for NYU Feb 24th and to a Fordham campus tour on Feb 27th. Also, I spoke to both financial aid counselors from each school. 

IMO, from my experience Fordham's faculty and staff from financial counselors to admissions counselors were more helpful and seem like they geuninely care. They were very nice and really answered my questions in depth. The campus seemed more laidback and its very nice (the courtyard to hang out in and the classrooms look pretty modern)

I did like the NYU campus too, it's vibrant and loud as  you would imagine since it is right in the streets and doesnt really have the traditional campus feel. I was impressed with the looks of the student resource center and the library of course, there seems to be a lot of resources around the campus as well as events. The classrooms are not as nice because the building is more traditional and the classroom are very small. Faculty from the information session did not seem as helpful and everything they talked about i felt like i already knew. The financial aid counselor was a little rude and apathetic while Fordham's financial aid cousnelor was so nice and helpful (I did not receive more award money or anything from neither).

However, I have to admit the reason why I'm still thinking about NYU is because i am interested in a clinical focus and NYU has many more electives that interest me and of course it's overall a clinically focused program. Also, I dont know how true this is but part of me feels like there might be more opportunity to network and that is very important of course.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions or want to go back and forth with me on what program to decide on haha :)

38 minutes ago, AdeMSW said:

Are going to the reception?

Hey Ade, I will not be going. I will decline the offer :(

As you already know, I was accepted to the advanced standing program at Stony Brook. But I am also waiting for Hunter. :blink:

1 minute ago, 12sliders said:

Potentially... you?

I'm really thinking about attending, but I am still waiting to hear from Stony Brook and Lehman. Fordham gave me an extension till the end of this month, so if I don't hear from the other schools by March 28 I will accept Fordham's offer.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:16 PM, Gee_ said:

Did anyone get the reception invitation for Fordham ?

I did! Will be attending. I also asked for an extension on submitting the enrollment deposit because I'm trying to chose between Columbia and Fordham. Are you looking at other schools as well?

26 minutes ago, Sandy47 said:

I did! Will be attending. I also asked for an extension on submitting the enrollment deposit because I'm trying to chose between Columbia and Fordham. Are you looking at other schools as well?

Yes. I declined the admission offer. I was also accepted at Stony Brook University and recently had an interview at Hunter. So it's between those two. 

52 minutes ago, Sandy47 said:

Congrats on your accepts!! I was accepted as well. I'm thinking of attending but still waiting to hear back from Lehman and Stony Brook.