Interviews- how long after?

PurpleTurtles

How long does it typically take after an interview to hear back from a professor? I had an interview 2 days ago and although I know that's not a long period of time it's really making me nervous waiting, and making me second guess all of my interview answers.

If you've heard back from your POI, or have heard back in the past, how long did it take them to let you know how you did after your interview?

12 minutes ago, Godpsy said:

If it has only been two days, take a chill pill bro.

We all know how anxious the process can be, i think it is reasonable to allow anotehr 2-4 weeks before hearing back the formal decision.

That's fair. I'm really trying to not be too anxious but I know my POI was interviewing a lot of people, so the waiting is painful, especially when I know there are so many people that I'm up against, even for this one prof.

5 minutes ago, B_Allen said:

as hard as it maybe, give it time and they will respond. If anything give them a week or so, and if you hear nothing after about 10 days send them an email. Professors are genuinely very busy people, best of luck @HopefulFutureGrad

I think that's a good idea! I sent her a thank you email the day of, but I don't want to push her or seem annoying so I don't want to bombard her. 10 days does seem pretty reasonable to ask for a small follow-up or update though. Thank you!!

5 minutes ago, B_Allen said:

PS you got the interview so clearly there is interest from their end as well! So just try and be patient (as hard as it may be)

That's true! That's actually a really good way of looking at it. I'm trying to keep myself as busy as possible and not let myself get ahead of myself and sort of prepping for the worst just in case, but that is a very good point. Thank you again! :) 

Congrats on the interview! From my experience it seems like it varies a lot between schools, anywhere from a few days to respond to about a month. A lot of times it just depends on the timing of department meetings and things like that, depending on how the university makes admissions decisions.

I think it's definitely reasonable to check in with an email after a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, HopefulFutureGrad said:

How long does it typically take after an interview to hear back from a professor? I had an interview 2 days ago and although I know that's not a long period of time it's really making me nervous waiting, and making me second guess all of my interview answers.

If you've heard back from your POI, or have heard back in the past, how long did it take them to let you know how you did after your interview?

I had an interview on the 11th (over phone)- prof flat out told me it would be towards the end of the month before I heard back. 

Maybe it is one of those situations ?

NGL- 2 days doesn't seem like "all hope is lost"- profs are busy people who are making big money decisions, don't worry :) (im an educator, and getting any decision within bureaucracy made in 2 days is unreal)

I imagine it differs widely based on subfield, department, school, professor, etc.

I got an informal acceptance within 5 days of an interview / visitation day from one place. Another place I had a Skype interview with just a single POI and haven't heard anything in a little over a week, but was told at the end of the Skype session that it'd probably be anywhere from 2-4 weeks before I'd hear back anything official because decisions are after everyone on the adcomm had interviewed people and then meet as a big group. At another place I had Skype interviews with 2 POIs, who told me 3-4 weeks, but after a week I got another Skype interview request from a third POI.

Across all 3 places it seemed like not everyone I talked to had the same amount of influence on decisions, and how coordinated the process was also seemed to vary widely. 

I had to wait about 2 weeks between each stage for multiple different school when I was applying. Two weeks between notifying and getting an interview, two weeks between getting an interview and hearing back (in one case an acceptance and in another, a waitlist), and then two weeks between the waitlist and the final decision.

Just stay calm. I know everyone here is always freaking out, but there's more to your life than just this (I would hope). Put it out of your mind.

If you were an earlier interview then it may take some time. POIs are busy and want to properly weigh candidates (including you!) along with regular academic duties. This is a great time for you to practice coping and 'waiting-it-out' strategies because you'll be applying for many things in the future (fellowships, awards, internship, post-doc, faculty positions etc etc). Its tough; believe me I know! I got so antsy I wrote 2 status inquiry emails to separate professors to relieve stress then deleted them. Just writing the emails was therapeutic even though I didn't plan to send anything.

Edited by 8BitJourney

On 1/19/2017 at 1:13 PM, HopefulFutureGrad said:

I was told directly after my preliminary interview that they would like me to return for the visiting/interview day at their university. I think it really varies on the school and POI.