Scored 325: What are my options in terms of philosophy phd programs?

DharmaBum25

So I recently took the GRE and I scored a 325 (163V, 162Q, and 5AW), and I'm applying for philosophy Ph.D. programs next fall. I know that GRE scores are not the defining factor of an application for philosophy programs. However, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me understand what my options look like with these scores and if it would be worthwhile to re-take the test since I have a fair amount of time before I need to start applying. From what I understand, a 163 on the verbal section isn't too remarkable for a philosophy student applying for grad programs. To give you more background, my undergraduate degree was in philosophy (my program was ranked somewhere in the top 100), I've taken a couple graduate course in philosophy (Metaethics and Philosophy of Mind), and my undergraduate GPA in philosophy was a 3.7 (freshman year I got a B- and a B). Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by DharmaBum25

Six years ago there was a discussion on Leiter Reports about whether schools have an unofficial verbal GRE cutoff ~700, which would correspond to 166 on the current scoring system. Whether or not some places have a true cutoff, even low-ranking MA programs definitely expect native English speakers to get a high verbal score.

A GPA in philosophy of 3.7 (is your overall GPA lower?) will also work against you. It would help your application if you get all A's this and next semester.

Frankly, unless there's something extraordinary about your application that you didn't mention, or unless you're a member of an underrepresented racial minority (not including Asian), I think you are unlikely to get into any PhD program with these stats. Probably you should retake the GRE. Getting a masters before applying for a PhD might be a good idea.

Thank you for being frank! The feedback is much appreciated. My GPA is as low as it is because of my freshman year because I got a D, a B- and a C first term. Very rough start. However, starting my second term of my sophomore year, I got straight A's minus one B. Is there nothing to be said of an upward trend?

May I ask what your background is, and what makes you so confident? Have you served on a committee before, or are you speculating? Thanks!

Edited by DharmaBum25

I don't know what  is talking about. Those are very good stats. You would certainly get into respectable programs. However, philosophy majors have the highest verbal scores, so your 163, though very good, would probably prevent you from getting into the top 10-20 programs. Your high quantitative score may be enough to squeak you into to a top 20 university, however. Here is Duke's admission statistics for the last three years, which is a great program in philosophy. https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/philosophy-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics. While you couldn't hold your breath for Duke, you could probably get into programs like UC Davis without much doubt. That is, of course, with a strong SOP and LOR's.

Hi DharmaBum25,

I have a BA and MA in philosophy and was accepted to a decent PhD program. My undergraduate GPA was similar to yours and my verbal GRE was 170. Over several years I've known many people who went through the application process, I've interacted with faculty members involved in admissions at multiple schools, and (to help with my own applications) I studied all the relevant information that's publicly available.

With all due respect to Square49, I think he/she does not know the situation in philosophy. (Square49's field is criminal justice.) He/she refers you to the stats for Duke's PhD program (ranked 24 in the US). For the last three years, the average verbal GRE scores of matriculating PhD students were 164, 168, and 168. But note that these are the averages, not the medians. It's quite possible that almost everyone scores in the 167-170 range. There were 6 matriculating students last year when the average was 164. 1 of these was an underrepresented racial minority and 1 was an international student, so possibly not a native English speaker. A possible distribution of scores could have been 170, 168, 168, 166, 158, 156. Of course I don't know if that was the distribution. My point is that the statistics published by Duke don't disprove the claim (not invented by me) that many programs have a cutoff of ~166 for white/Asian native English speakers.

The fact that your grades got better over time will definitely help you. I remember a few schools asked only for my GPA the last 2 years at college, although most just wanted overall/major GPA. Still you will face some discrimination because of your freshman grades--it's unfair, but that's the way it is. I still disagree with Square49 that you would get into somewhere like UC Davis (ranked 42 in the US) "without much doubt," but with very good letters of recommendation and writing sample I believe you have a shot. Whether going to a place like UC Davis is a good idea depends on what your ambitions in philosophy are.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I got into UVA Philosophy Ph.D. program with 165q/155v/4 with other quantitative credentials (GPA, the quality of bachelor's school) often worse than you. Its a decent department although surely not the best of the best. It seems from your credentials to me that you have a chance of getting your writing sample read in the best schools. A lot of other variables are at play though and that slight chance is all most people get. Do they know your recommenders, do your research interests align with what they are looking for etc. As long as you have that slight chance don't shy away from applying. Just have a proper portfolio beginning with your dream schools and ending with schools that are still worth not going through the application process one more year.

Edited by Apathium

First off, 162Q and 5 Writing are absolutely fine and are more likely to help than hurt at most places. At some schools, especially top 20s, 163V is a bit low (strong philosophy PhD applicants just murder verbal). However, some committees do not care about GRE very much at all. In general it's less important than grades, sample, and letters, maybe roughly as important as personal statement. 3.7 GPA is a bit lower than ideal. If your GPA over the last two years was significantly higher, try to highlight that fact. If your writing sample is really really good, you can still get in just about anywhere with your scores. But it might make sense to target unranked programs strong in your specialty or programs around 30-50 in the PGR rankings, depending on the rest of your app. Best of luck!

P.S. There is a very long discussion of the relevance of the GRE in the Philosophy forum here; you may find that helpful. 

Edited by Ibycus