Want a PhD, can't quit work.

ConvolutedSymmetry

Question

Anyone have any experience with a part-time or weekend PhD? All I've found when searching online are diploma mills and online degrees in specialty fields (i.e. Higher Education Management, Physical Therapy, Psychology, etc.). I'm beginning to wonder whether it is possible to obtain a reputable PhD on a part-time basis. 

I'm locked into a 2.5 year contract with my current employer, but have been planning a career move for a few years now. I'd like to complete a PhD while I finish out my contract, just to improve my resume and maintain educational parity with my peer group. I'm about halfway through my third masters and quite sure I'm reaching the point of diminishing returns. I have a robust background in engineering and social sciences at the graduate level, and strong test scores, so there's some flexibility about the type of degree program. Anything in economics, international relations, systems engineering, data science, or IT would fit my background well. 

I'm currently located in CA with the ability to travel to LA or SF, and weekends and evenings completely free.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or heuristics on how to undertake a part-time PhD while working, specifically as it relates to finding a program, negotiating an academic schedule, etc.

Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

What field are you interested in? 

For some fields, this is just not possible. For example, in the physical sciences, the only part time PhD programs are degree mills and fake degree providers. I don't think there are any good Data Science PhD programs---it's not a thing at this point. There are certainly 1-2 year certificate programs that could provide some useful training for work in that area though.

As you said, there are some part-time higher education degree programs that provide training for specific career paths, such as Physical Therapy. But a research-based PhD program does not usually offer part-time status and you'll likely have to leave your job. They also take much longer than 2.5 years even with full time status so it's not going to be something you can complete before your contract runs out.

If you think a PhD is what you need to move your career forward, you should probably think about doing this after the end of this contract (or terminate the contract early with whatever penalty) and plan to start school right after your contract ends. But, right now, I am not sure you are ready for a PhD program since you list a very wide range of interests! It sounds like you just want a PhD to have it appear on your CV but a PhD is a huge time investment (and opportunity loss) that this is almost never a good idea. 

You want to get a PhD in "anything in economics, international relations, systems engineering, data science, or IT"? What for? So you can select "Dr." as your title when you book airplane tickets? I'm confused what "peer group" has PhDs in 6 different disciplines. A PhD in economics would imply an entirely different career than a PhD in systems engineering or IR. I concur, however, that 3 masters is overkill literally anywhere. I'd caution you that the 3 master's in apparently completely different disciplines makes you look unfocused rather than well-rounded, which will count against you in the admissions process.

In Europe (speaking broadly), it's common to get your PhD part-time because it's just the dissertation. Europe is also much more attentive to credentials and it is much more frequently expected of professionals to have a PhD in order to advance in their careers. The US doesn't work like that. Here the PhD is intended to prepare you for an academic career, not least because relatively few career paths outside academia actually require one, and getting one is therefore a much more immersive experience. Few reputable PhDs are part-time because working as a TA or RA (and getting paid for it) is necessary preparation for a career in academia. Even if you tell them you don't want the stipend as long as they don't make you work, I suspect few departments would take you on, because having you pump out a 150-page paper isn't the purpose of the program.