Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering 2010

Deleted

Hi guys,

There was a pretty successful topic last year where all the OR/IE applicants shared info and support throughout the waiting process. I suggest we reiterate this this year with all the guys and dolls applying to the exciting field that is IEOR.

So if you are applying, have applied in the past, have some knowledge of any sort or just want to crack a joke, come post.

As a suggestion we could all start saying what schools we are applying to in our first post and even better have it in the signature with the distinction pending, accepted and rejected.

I'll start:

Pending:

Columbia

Stanford

Berkeley

Duke

U Michigan

Northwestern

UCLA

Carnegie Mellon

Cornell

Johns Hopkins

Georgia Tech

Rejected: none so far

Accepted: none either

Dealing with silence on the application front so far. Anybody heard anything?

Come join and good luck to you all!

I cannot possibly be the only one applying here! (Although I would like to think that as it would increase my chances of acceptance). I know a few of you have already posted on other topics so come out of your lurking.

Hi! I just joined and I'm glad you started this..

I'll give my stats: GRE: 790Q 540V 5.0AW GRE: 4.0 3 years undergrad research, 7 publications/presentations @ conferences, 2 NSF REUs.

Where I applied:

Pending:

Princeton (random i know, but I have my reasons!)

U Michigan

U Florida

Stanford

Northwestern

Rejected: none yet!

Accepted: none yet

BUT....I received an email from a prof on Friday @ Michigan wanting to talk with me over the phone about my research interests. Have no idea what this could mean with regards to admission status, but think its a good sign. My advisor/one of my recommendeders received a phone call from Northwestern prof about my application as well, so I know they are in the reviewing process.

If you notice, Stanford lets everyone know by end of Feb...I saw that the Mgmt Sciences and Engr has asked one person for an interview last week sometime...but no mass rejection or acceptance for people yet. What else....NU's visit weekends are in late Feb, so if we are first cuts they will probably tell us around the next few weeks.

What is your order of choices? First/second/backups.....anyone you want to work with specifically?

GRE:

Quant - 800 Verbal - 710 Writing 4.5

MS (Indian Institute of Science, India)

GPA: 6.8/8.0

1 Publication in intl. conference; 2 patent applications

Applied to

1. ORFE, Princeton

2. ORIE, Cornell

3. Stats Yale

4. ISYE, Gatech

5. CS CMU (ML)

6. Stat, UCSB

7. CS, UMass

Accepts: None yet

Rejects: None yet

I am desperately waiting for some +ve results... any idea about the funding situation this year? and if intl applicants have a decent chance (last year was apparently not great).

Regards,

Mandar

I'm glad the OP started this topic, hope we can share some information. You guys' background are really impressive, made me feel pressure :), since I noticed that there are several universities we all applied. The universities I applied:

Stanford

Berkeley

UCLA

CMU

U of Florida

TAMU

Arizona State U

No information up to now, and I'm getting anxious everyday, especially when I refresh my email. Some universities won't release decisions until the end of February, some even wait till the end of March. Gosh, anyone please tell me how to get through these days? Probably two months to go. Anyone knows the funding situation in IE department this year?

BTW, I know there is a guy already got the offer from Berkeley, maybe not officially, but he is an under student studying in Berkeley, so he has the access of internal information.

Good luck everyone and bless us all!

Glad you all came, I cannot withstand the silence on the application front, at least we can share information or lack thereof.

By the way whoever posted two "Other" on the Results Page for Northwestern's program with comments pointing to this topic scared the hell out of me. I saw two posts with the name of a program I applied to and for a second I thought "God, the acceptances have been sent I didn't receive anything. One rejection down, ten to go."

Talking about Northwestern, I know they are reviewing applications for I know someone who got an email last week from a professor there saying they were reviewing their app and asking them for their Master's thesis. According to last year's results, a bunch of decisions were sent around the 10th Feb, I guess it will be similar this year.

BTW, I know there is a guy already got the offer from Berkeley, maybe not officially, but he is an under student studying in Berkeley, so he has the access of internal information.

Good luck everyone and bless us all!

I read on college confidential a guy saying he had been unofficially accepted to Stanford from a prof there but the official decisions had not been sent.

Well, don't have very interesting results. I got admission to TAMU, with funding decisions not being made yet. No contact from schools like you guys have :/.

Applied:

Georgia Tech

Michigan

Northwestern

Columbia

Cornell

TAMU

Purdue

No other response yet

Well, don't have very interesting results. I got admission to TAMU, with funding decisions not being made yet. No contact from schools like you guys have :/.

Congratulations on the acceptance! You do not look too thrilled by the tone of your post, I would be jumping up the walls if I were in your seat. I would give a lot to know right now that I have been admitted to any of the programs I have applied to and live the rest of this procedure worry-free.

Glad you all came, I cannot withstand the silence on the application front, at least we can share information or lack thereof.

By the way whoever posted two "Other" on the Results Page for Northwestern's program with comments pointing to this topic scared the hell out of me. I saw two posts with the name of a program I applied to and for a second I thought "God, the acceptances have been sent I didn't receive anything. One rejection down, ten to go."

Talking about Northwestern, I know they are reviewing applications for I know someone who got an email last week from a professor there saying they were reviewing their app and asking them for their Master's thesis. According to last year's results, a bunch of decisions were sent around the 10th Feb, I guess it will be similar this year.

I read on college confidential a guy saying he had been unofficially accepted to Stanford from a prof there but the official decisions had not been sent.

My application has been reviewed, I think. Or at least is somewhere in the process. My advisor told me he got a couple of phone calls from them, both positive! YAY!

Sorry for scaring you.... :-) I was the one who posted it. But I figured we needed to get some thoughts moving on here.

Top schools anyone? What is your first choice? I'll be first and say Northwestern!

Congratulations on the acceptance! You do not look too thrilled by the tone of your post, I would be jumping up the walls if I were in your seat. I would give a lot to know right now that I have been admitted to any of the programs I have applied to and live the rest of this procedure worry-free.

I'll be alot happier when I hear about funding, Phd + no funding is a rejection in my mind. But TAMU does have a bunch of people I would like to work with, a good fit(aside from the location). But it certainly is a relief, the response was pretty early but I had finished my application before Dec. Haven't heard anything else about admissions to other schools though, my number 1 is Georgia Tech(the department is bigger than alot of ECE programs), followed by Northwestern probably.

BTW, thank you to whoever made this topic, people with obsessive personalities should not try to do something that requires 5 months of patient waiting.

Edited by floyd

I'll be alot happier when I hear about funding, Phd + no funding is a rejection in my mind. But TAMU does have a bunch of people I would like to work with, a good fit(aside from the location). But it certainly is a relief, the response was pretty early but I had finished my application before Dec. Haven't heard anything else about admissions to other schools though, my number 1 is Georgia Tech(the department is bigger than alot of ECE programs), followed by Northwestern probably.

BTW, thank you to whoever made this topic, people with obsessive personalities should not try to do something that requires 5 months of patient waiting.

Gatech certainly is one of my top choices as well (constantly ranked as n°1 in the field). Unfortunately for our questionable heart health, the deadline is at the end of January so we cannot expect decisions to arrive promptly...sad.gif How I wish I could fast forward a month

I'm sure that this isn't the case if you are a top pick, but does anyone find it annoying that you have to log into ask.northwestern.edu or your application in order to see what the status is?

They don't even email you if your status changes!

ORMalv, is your first choice GATech? I couldn't bring myself to apply there, mainly because I don't think I would be happy in Atlanta.

I'm sure that this isn't the case if you are a top pick, but does anyone find it annoying that you have to log into ask.northwestern.edu or your application in order to see what the status is?

They don't even email you if your status changes!

ORMalv, is your first choice GATech? I couldn't bring myself to apply there, mainly because I don't think I would be happy in Atlanta.

I have a hard time ranking my schools, mainly because I only applied to schools I would be thrilled to attend if they were my only choice. I now regret this because I am afraid of an across the board rejection. But going back to how I would group my preferences, I would say:

Stanford, Berkeley, Gatech, Cornell

Northwestern, Columbia, UCLA, CMU

Hopkins, Duke, U Mich

Although they change every day. Keep in mind that an acceptance from ANY of these schools would fill me with joy and tears.

How about you?

I have a hard time ranking my schools, mainly because I only applied to schools I would be thrilled to attend if they were my only choice. I now regret this because I am afraid of an across the board rejection. But going back to how I would group my preferences, I would say:

Stanford, Berkeley, Gatech, Cornell

Northwestern, Columbia, UCLA, CMU

Hopkins, Duke, U Mich

Although they change every day. Keep in mind that an acceptance from ANY of these schools would fill me with joy and tears.

How about you?

I did the same thing: only applied to schools where I thought I would be happy if I got an offer.

Order:

Northwestern

Stanford

Michigan

UF/Princeton

I researched a ton of schools and basically ended up concluding that while a lot of good programs are out there, the advisors/research areas/location/students happiness level are all equally important to me,so it narrowed down my list significantly when I attended conferences and met a bunch of different faculty members from different schools.

I really admire the fact that you applied so many places! The application process is so...exhausting. And now I'm filled with a whole different type of stress. :-)

I would be THRILLED if i got an offer from either NU, Stanford, or UMich.

BTW funny story...I got a call today from a # I didn't know, and intstantly I was nervous...turned out to be my landlord(outside my state) calling to see if i wanted to renew my lease.... sigh. :-)

I am a master student from Peking University(Beijing, China). My background is not as well as you guys.

GRE: 520V+800Q+3.5AW

GPA:3.5/4.0(Undergraduate), 3.7/4.0(Graduate)

Two Publications on International Conference, One submitted

The schools I apply:

Gerogia Tech

Lehigh Univ

TAMU

PSU

Univ of Florida

Univ of Minnesota

Univ of Washington

Rutgers

NCSU

Umass Amherst

Univ of Tennessee

Not any information. I am so anxious these days and do not know what I should do. just wait? It is too boring.

BTW: How does the guy accept admission from TAMU? I asked the secret and she replied that the department usually starts to review the applications from Feburary.

In addition, I also apply the Mays Business school(Supply Chain Management Phd Program). Unfortunately, I had got rejection letter from TAMU graduate school....cry...cry...

I am a master student from Peking University(Beijing, China). My background is not as well as you guys.

GRE: 520V+800Q+3.5AW

GPA:3.5/4.0(Undergraduate), 3.7/4.0(Graduate)

Two Publications on International Conference, One submitted

The schools I apply:

Gerogia Tech

Lehigh Univ

TAMU

PSU

Univ of Florida

Univ of Minnesota

Univ of Washington

Rutgers

NCSU

Umass Amherst

Univ of Tennessee

Not any information. I am so anxious these days and do not know what I should do. just wait? It is too boring.

BTW: How does the guy accept admission from TAMU? I asked the secret and she replied that the department usually starts to review the applications from Feburary.

In addition, I also apply the Mays Business school(Supply Chain Management Phd Program). Unfortunately, I had got rejection letter from TAMU graduate school....cry...cry...

Hang on there, I have not heard anything from TAMU neither. The only thing we can do is being patient, although I know it's difficult.

Tips to you guys who applied GIT, contact professors in person ASAP! The decision is not made by committee, it's going through a rolling review process, if a professor decided to fund you, you can get the offer. I have a friend got admitted in 2007, he said it was a special situation that year, a alumni donated a huge funding to IE department, so they recruited more students than other years. However, usually, if you wanna get offer from IE in GIT, you should probably contact professors to show your research interest and your research potential. If they like your background, you are much more closer to the offer!

Edited by coolmicky

Hang on there, I have not heard anything from TAMU neither. The only thing we can do is being patient, although I know it's difficult.

Tips to you guys who applied GIT, contact professors in person ASAP! The decision is not made by committee, it's going through a rolling review process, if a professor decided to fund you, you can get the offer. I have a friend got admitted in 2007, he said it was a special situation that year, a alumni donated a huge funding to IE department, so they recruited more students than other years. However, usually, if you wanna get offer from IE in GIT, you should probably contact professors to show your research interest and your research potential. If they like your background, you are much more closer to the offer!

OMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOG! I JUST GOT THIS! YESSSSSSSS. Will let you know how it pans out.

Thank you for your application to the IEMS graduate program at Northwestern. We would like to let you know that you are one of our highly rated domestic applicants. Unfortunately, there are many applicants for only a few spots, so we cannot promise anything at this point. However, we do plan to make admissions offers in the coming week or two, and will be back in touch with you regarding your status.

OMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOGMOG! I JUST GOT THIS! YESSSSSSSS. Will let you know how it pans out.

Thank you for your application to the IEMS graduate program at Northwestern. We would like to let you know that you are one of our highly rated domestic applicants. Unfortunately, there are many applicants for only a few spots, so we cannot promise anything at this point. However, we do plan to make admissions offers in the coming week or two, and will be back in touch with you regarding your status.

That's so funny I woke up with the following:

Thank you for your application to the IEMS graduate program atNorthwestern. We would like to let you know that you are one of ourhighlyrated international applicants. Unfortunately, there are manyapplicantsfor only a few spots, so we cannot promise anything at this point. However, we do plan to make admissions offers inthe coming two weeks, and will be back in touch with you regarding yourstatus.

They only changed domestic for international and "in the coming week or two" with "the coming two weeks". Anyway since you are not my direct competition, let me sincerely congratulate you. GradCafe is like a lucky charm, it suffices to start a topic to hear some good news.

My heart skipped a beat when I read "Unfortunately", I thought it was the classic email "we thank you for your application which was highly considered, unfortunately we received applications from very high calibre profiles this year and are unable to make you an offer"

I'm not going to be able to focus on anything for the coming two weeks now...

Edited by ORmalv

That's so funny I woke up with the following:

Thank you for your application to the IEMS graduate program atNorthwestern. We would like to let you know that you are one of ourhighlyrated international applicants. Unfortunately, there are manyapplicantsfor only a few spots, so we cannot promise anything at this point. However, we do plan to make admissions offers inthe coming two weeks, and will be back in touch with you regarding yourstatus.

They only changed domestic for international and "in the coming week or two" with "the coming two weeks". Anyway since you are not my direct competition, let me sincerely congratulate you. GradCafe is like a lucky charm, it suffices to start a topic to hear some good news.

I'm excited but this kind of stresses me out a little too. I don't know what that means...are they narrowing it down from here? or trying to find funding?

I'm excited but this kind of stresses me out a little too. I don't know what that means...are they narrowing it down from here? or trying to find funding?

I have no idea, I don't really know what it means. It's kind of cruel as well because they are raising our hopes but it will as likely result in a rejection afterwards. One could have thought that they are afraid to lose good candidates to schools which already sent their decisions, and therefore tell them to wait a bit before making a decision, leuring them with a possible acceptance. However, close to none have given out decisions so it doesn't really add up.

I have no idea, I don't really know what it means. It's kind of cruel as well because they are raising our hopes but it will as likely result in a rejection afterwards. One could have thought that they are afraid to lose good candidates to schools which already sent their decisions, and therefore tell them to wait a bit before making a decision, leuring them with a possible acceptance. However, close to none have given out decisions so it doesn't really add up.

Yeah, I'm trying to be optimistic and hoping that they would only send it out to students that they really want, but can't really guarentee anything today. Like, 95% of the people that got the email got in. I can hope, can't I? B/c it might be kind of unnecessary of the dept otherwise, where they really only needed to make us wait another week w/o saying anything. I want to know other people who got the email!

Hahah, I just read your "unfortunately" comment and I did the same thing! :-)

Yeah, I'm trying to be optimistic and hoping that they would only send it out to students that they really want, but can't really guarentee anything today. Like, 95% of the people that got the email got in. I can hope, can't I? B/c it might be kind of unnecessary of the dept otherwise, where they really only needed to make us wait another week w/o saying anything. I want to know other people who got the email!

Hahah, I just read your "unfortunately" comment and I did the same thing! :-)

Congrats guys, just to let you know, not everyone received that(i.e. me), so its probably a pretty selective short list.

I am also applying for Ph.D. in IEOR. But I only apply for 4 programs. Others are all Operations Management in Business School.

My backgrounds are:

Undergraduate (Math) 3.4/4.0; Graduate (OR) 4.0/4.0.

GRE:510+790+4; IBT: 105

No publications till now.

The programs I apply are:

IOE Umich;

IESE UIUC;

IE PSU;

ISE UVa.

Till now, no news from them. I even don;t know my materials are complete or not. Do you guys know how to check the materials status for Umich and PSU? Thanks

Till now, no news from them. I even don;t know my materials are complete or not. Do you guys know how to check the materials status for Umich and PSU? Thanks

UMich should have sent you a "wolverine link" upon your application submission. Then you have to go sign up for a bunch of IDs...here is the email I got:

HOW TO CHECK YOUR STATUS

Applicants can now verify application data and status online. You will need to use a login ID and password, and confirm some personal data before viewing your application.

For applicants who are current students or employees: Log into Wolverine Access using your existing UMICH uniqname login and click New and Prospective Student Business.

For applicants new to the University: This is a 2-step process. First, you need to create a secure login using a UM Friend Account and second, you need to go to and log into the UM administrative services web site called Wolverine Access. To do this, you must follow both steps below:

1. Create a UM Friend Account

Use the following URL: https://friend.weblogin.umich.edu/friend/

Note: If you have questions about creating a UM Friend Account, use the following URL for detailed instructions: http://www.itd.umich.edu/itcsdocs/s4316

2. Log into UM administrative services (Wolverine Access)

After you create your UM Friend Account, use the following URL to view your application data: http://wolverineaccess.umich.edu and click New and Prospective Student Business.