Constant terror

CoyoteBlue

Howdy kids, I am really having a hard time. I applied to 6 schools, only have 1 interview set up. They spent 700$ on my flight and more on my hotel so that's pretty neat. My first choice school has already sent out their first round of interview requests, the department head recommended me yet nothing in my inbox. My doctor prescribed me Xanax and my dad is taking me to buy a cat because he thinks a furry friend will be helpful to my stress levels.

We're all mad here Alice. 

i feel you.  It's HARD HARD HARD HARD HARD.   I was 0/4 last year with no interviews, and am doing far better this year but still very anxious.    Hang in there... it will be over soon! 

It can be really hard, but this is a great time to treat learning how to cope with waiting as learning a life skill for academia. 

After this point, you will constantly be applying for things and waiting in the nether to hear back. Funding opportunities, fellowships, post-doctoral positions, faculty jobs.... They're all the same type of hard, anxious waiting. 

Learning how to hit the submit button, and then cease thinking about it until you hear something back is one of the best things you can learn how to do. 

3 minutes ago, Eigen said:

It can be really hard, but this is a great time to treat learning how to cope with waiting as learning a life skill for academia. 

After this point, you will constantly be applying for things and waiting in the nether to hear back. Funding opportunities, fellowships, post-doctoral positions, faculty jobs.... They're all the same type of hard, anxious waiting. 

Learning how to hit the submit button, and then cease thinking about it until you hear something back is one of the best things you can learn how to do. 

I love this - I think it's such an important thing to remember.  I meditate on a regular basis and am generally pretty chill, but having a hard time with this.  Any resources/education you can point me to to get more chill.... the chill is getting pretttty difficult. 

My way of coping does sometimes involve hugging my kitties. Often though, I cope with the anxiety over school and not getting into any programs by playing piano. I found a copy of Fur Elise and I've never tried anything classical so I've been giving memorizing it a go. I also play DnD online every other Saturday and am improving my streaming setup so I can relaunch my Twitch channel better than ever.

Basically, I do things that are not that stressful and fun so I can be productive on the stressful work and try to relieve the stress of not knowing. :) 

Hiking without cell service or really long walks are also my way of coping.  I also got a dog when I started grad school and she's the best hiking companion AND because I had her to walk every day I got a daily dose of outdoors no matter what.