Canadian students who got into American graduate programs

Inez_Only

Question

I posted this in the psychology board but I'll try my luck here as well.

I'm a recent psychology undergrad student who will be applying for clinical psych this year, and until recently I was only considering applying to Canadian universities. Now I'm also considering American universities as well, but I'm skeptical about what the transition would be like if I was accepted anywhere. I avoided American schools because I'm diabetic and really appreciate Canada's health care system, tuition rates in America are much higher than Canada, and I have a partner who can't travel to the U.S. I'm wondering if other Canadian students have had similar experiences or skepticisms and could tell me more about your experience going from Canada to the U.S. to study.

1 answer to this question

I understand your concern. I got into a PhD program last year at a school in California (I am Canadian btw), and I had to turn it down because even with the funding they offered, I was unable to afford it. Tuition, living expenses, plus work restrictions due to being an international student was too much. As for healthcare, I think most schools would offer you a health plan. I say why not apply and see what happens. You may have to do long-distance for a while with your partner, but if you two are up to it, I would apply and give it a chance.