What are "Admin" positions at universities?

PonderingSoc

Question

My professor was telling me how little work their is for professors in the classroom. However, she said to me that "PhD's are getting a lot of work in Admin positions ay universities." And she said these are high paying jobs. She left before I could ask any other questions. What are these positions and do PhD's actually get them often times and make good money? 

2 answers to this question

Admin positions could mean many things, but they probably meant working in the department's (or another department's) office. This would mean answering questions for students who come in, scheduling different things, sorting mail, etc. High-paying is ambiguous though, as that depends on comparing the income with other jobs in the area/of a similar level/for grad students and the area's cost of living. 

Go to higheredjobs.com and click on the "Administrative" category under Jobs. That'll give you a very broad sense of what positions in academic administration are like. I don't know that I'd describe the salaries as high though... (A lot of the jobs on Higher Ed Jobs have the salary range listed so you can get a very clear sense of this.)