No Interview Yet - How Worried Should I Be?

Abyss21

I've begun seeing a couple of people talking about their invitations to interview with the University of Chicago's English department. Since I have not yet received an interview invitation, I am wondering how worried I should be. Chicago's English PhD program is one of my top choices and I'm not sure whether this is a sign that I probably didn't get in. I'm an international applicant from Canada so I'm not wondering if that might have something to do with the delay or whether they simply haven't send all of the interview invitations out yet. I'm probably overthinking it all but it's all becoming too real and my nails need a break from the constant biting (although I don't think that'll stop until I find out all of the application results). Thanks in advance for any information you guys can give me!

Edited by ThePomoHipster

5 hours ago, Quelq'un said:

I am in the same situation, but for a different field of study.

I think yes we should be worried, odds decrease with time. By the end of this month, if I do not get an interview, I will try to make peace with being rejected.

Good Luck :)

Hi, Quelq'un,

Thanks for your reply! I've been thinking the same thing. I know that if I don't hear by this week from the University of Chicago and their interview process happens around this week, it's probably not a good sign. Good luck to you too! Fingers crossed we both end up hearing back from our respective universities soon. :)

7 hours ago, Shero said:

For me I hadn't heard back to University of Virginia until last week and all invites were sent out at early Jan. However, I got my acceptance because the school chose to forward my application to another department. So i think you guys still have chance!!

Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the reassurance! I guess I can't really say it's over until I actually see the word, "rejection." I'll try to stay hopeful but my lack of patience is really getting to me. It's good to know that there's still a chance though!

At this point, hearing about peoples' post-interview acceptances for the University of Chicago English program makes me think that a rejection is definitely implied here. I'll still keep a tiny ounce of hope but I doubt that I'll be hearing any good news from them at this point.