PoI vanished

TanZor

Hi all,

I got two interview invitations - one for the UCL neuroscience program (interview next week) and the second for MIT brain and cognition (mid-March). UCL made it clear that in case they offer me a place they want an answer within 10 days. Independently, my MIT PoI contacted me to ask if I had any ideas following a talk that he recently gave and I attended. I asked him if it was possible to arrange a Skype meeting before my interview in London and he gave a diplomatic answer along the lines of "I don't want to stand in the way of your best offer". We continued to email a little about research before he asked who were my PoI-s at UCL, and suggested to arrange a skype interview with "MIT folks" prior to my interview. I answered both questions, saying that skype interviews sound like a good idea. This happened 5 days ago, and he never answered back. Our communication before this email was very short and fast. I emailed him a short reminder two days ago, but still no answer.

I'm freaking out a little, and wanted to share and ask if there's something I might be missing here.

Thanks,

TanZor

FWIW, it's IAP (independent activities period) at MIT right now, so a lot of people are away and not as accessible as they would be during the semester. I realize that this sucks for you, but it may just be that the professor is traveling and isn't near his computer right now to handle email. 

24 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Or maybe he's traveling this week and didn't think he needed to share that with a random prospective student. You never know. I wouldn't give up quite so fast, it's only been five days. 

Yeah I occasionally have trouble getting replies from professors I've personally worked with, professors get busy and will put off things until the appropriate time.

Thanks FL and LMIP//, I just received an email from him apologizing for the delay in response and saying that he's been trying to set up a skype interview for me with some MIT faculty. I need to be more patient with these things.