Lie about whether have taken GRE Subject Test

Penemonie

So one application I am filling out asks if I have taken a GRE subject test. I actually have taken the test twice but the scores aren't satisfying. So, can I choose "no"? I am sure the school will not talk to ETS for this on purpose to just make sure I have not taken one but at the same time I see this as lying...

Clearly, you want some support in your deceit because you think you are not harming anyone. Maybe so. I disagree completely even if it is a tiny lie.

I will give you reasons not to do it:

1) By lying in your application you are consciously giving yourself an unfair advantage. Would you like someone lying on their CV? Tampering their GPA? Inflating their publications?

2) By submitting your application you are confirming that the information is "correct". Tell me, what is going to stop you when you apply for a job, a grant, an RA position? Do you think I am exaggerating? Let me give you the example of a scholar (in my field) that based his career on lies: Have you heard of 'Arming America'? The author based his book on non-existent sources. 

3) If you are not ready to take responsibility for your grades, you are not mature enough to be in grad school. Browse the forums here. There are many people that had bad GRE scores for many reasons -it was hard, they were not having a good day, they were having personal problems, etc.- and they all ask how to work around them in the rest of the application. 

4) You can do better. If you plan to take the subject test again and do better, you past results combined with the new one will show progress. Progress is promising in grad school.

Bottomline: don't lie. Use your 'weaknesses' to your advantage. Show resilience, maturity, and resolve. Be more than your subject test. 

I agree that you should not lie in the application. However, this scenario is different. 

It sounds like the subject GRE test is optional. In addition, with the new ScoreSelect option, GRE test takers can now pick and choose the scores you send. Therefore, if the application allows you the option of submitting a subject test score, I think it's perfectly fine for you to exercise the option to not report your score. So, I would have no ethical qualms about saying "no" to this question if the test was truly optional. That is, if reporting scores is optional, then it's not lying to say that you have not taken a subject test with scores you wish to report.

If they require you to report GRE scores, then I agree with AP---the only ethical thing is to make your report. 

They can't contact ETS to ask about your score. Sending a score report is also providing permission for ETS to release personal information about you to the school.

Caveat to the above: If you have already sent this school your scores in the past (e.g. the "four free schools" thing), then they might still have your score on file!