Well I currently am attending the MPH program at NYU (just entered my last semester before graduation) and I would say overall it is a fairly new program which has its pros and cons. Ultimately, it is what you make of it like most programs (I am fairly happy with it).

May I ask what it is specifically you are interested in as that would let met gauge what I should perhaps tell you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 0:36 AM, EpiNYC said:

Well I currently am attending the MPH program at NYU (just entered my last semester before graduation) and I would say overall it is a fairly new program which has its pros and cons. Ultimately, it is what you make of it like most programs (I am fairly happy with it).

May I ask what it is specifically you are interested in as that would let met gauge what I should perhaps tell you?

Hey EpiNYC, I haven't been admitted but have an interview this week. Do you mind sharing the living cost while studying at the program? Are you from NYC? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, xyzpsych said:

Hey EpiNYC, I haven't been admitted but have an interview this week. Do you mind sharing the living cost while studying at the program? Are you from NYC? Thanks!

Hey xyzpsych, congrats on the interview! 

The living cost is really where you decide to live in New York (albeit, Manhattan or outside of Manhattan). I currently work full-time as well, and therefore I can afford to live near campus, but that means my rent is approx $1,800 a month. Knowing the amount of money that these programs do provide, you are better off living somewhere in Brooklyn, where COS equates to rent of $900 a month plus another $100/week for food, if you are really smart in where you shop (like Trader Joes). As for books and whatnot, most of the classes were based on reading journal articles, with very few classes requiring textbooks (only one I can think of was a doctoral-level Epi class). 

Let me know if I was helpful or if you have anymore questions?

16 hours ago, EpiNYC said:

Hey xyzpsych, congrats on the interview! 

The living cost is really where you decide to live in New York (albeit, Manhattan or outside of Manhattan). I currently work full-time as well, and therefore I can afford to live near campus, but that means my rent is approx $1,800 a month. Knowing the amount of money that these programs do provide, you are better off living somewhere in Brooklyn, where COS equates to rent of $900 a month plus another $100/week for food, if you are really smart in where you shop (like Trader Joes). As for books and whatnot, most of the classes were based on reading journal articles, with very few classes requiring textbooks (only one I can think of was a doctoral-level Epi class). 

Let me know if I was helpful or if you have anymore questions?

Hey thank you so much! Good to know there are under $1000 options to rent in NY. I feel I have more questions but I would wait until I get admitted (fingers crossed). I would love to PM you if I do get admitted if that's OK with you!

On 2/8/2017 at 2:17 AM, xyzpsych said:

Hey thank you so much! Good to know there are under $1000 options to rent in NY. I feel I have more questions but I would wait until I get admitted (fingers crossed). I would love to PM you if I do get admitted if that's OK with you!

That's totally fine!

19 minutes ago, light10491 said:

What do you guys know about the PhD program at CGPH?

I know that it's fully funded for five years and that they have about 4-5 spots for PhD candidates each year. Which is all to say that if your mentor doesn't have funding, you don't have to worry since your tuition and stipend will be paid through the program. I do know it's stronger on the social sciences aspect rather than 'hard score sciences' especially when it comes to wanting to pursue something like epi. That being said, you have a network of some amazing faculty and those faculty in turn are also connected with equally amazing faculty elsewhere, which is great for networking! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 11:36 AM, EpiNYC said:

Thanks! I'm currently interested in the Community and International Health concentration, though I may want to switch over to the Global Health concentration. Why isn't NYU's MPH program ranked, and is it going to be ranked soon? 

3 hours ago, JohnSGrad95 said:

Thanks! I'm currently interested in the Community and International Health concentration, though I may want to switch over to the Global Health concentration. Why isn't NYU's MPH program ranked, and is it going to be ranked soon? 

I would say definitely make the switch! When I applied to NYU CGPH, I originally applied to the same track you mentioned, but they then offered to switch me into Global Health (as they were reviewing my application). When in the track I had almost made the switch into Epi, but realized I could take all the classes the Epi students were taking and still pursue the GH track. The reason I stayed in the track is because we have what is called a capstone, which is a year-long project completed in student-led teams...you basically get to act as public health consultants, it's super cool and amazing experience, and I'm in the midst of it all as we speak! 

I believe the reason why NYU's program is not ranked is because the program is quite new, and so I assume it will be a few more years before its get ranked. Some pros for the future is that they will finally have their own building coming this Fall (I believe), and they may even add a few more concentrations. Like I said, it's very new, and they are cognizant to feedback from students as well as the 'market' and molding the program organically. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 8:37 AM, EpiNYC said:

I would say definitely make the switch! When I applied to NYU CGPH, I originally applied to the same track you mentioned, but they then offered to switch me into Global Health (as they were reviewing my application). When in the track I had almost made the switch into Epi, but realized I could take all the classes the Epi students were taking and still pursue the GH track. The reason I stayed in the track is because we have what is called a capstone, which is a year-long project completed in student-led teams...you basically get to act as public health consultants, it's super cool and amazing experience, and I'm in the midst of it all as we speak! 

I believe the reason why NYU's program is not ranked is because the program is quite new, and so I assume it will be a few more years before its get ranked. Some pros for the future is that they will finally have their own building coming this Fall (I believe), and they may even add a few more concentrations. Like I said, it's very new, and they are cognizant to feedback from students as well as the 'market' and molding the program organically. 

Thanks! By the way, do you know anything about CUNY's MPH program? If so, how is it? Also, I'm still waiting on NYU. Do you know anything about commitment deposits and whether or not it would be okay to pay it for one school in the meantime while waiting for decisions from other schools?