Rejection Thread

hector549

I totally understand if this person isn't interested in responding and I feel bad asking somebody from the survey page to 'out' themselves, but I'm really curious about the Fullbright scholar with a publication who applied to a combination of T5 analytic programs and more continentally driven programs. Maybe people would have advice for what this person could do to boost their chances next year, seeing as it appears as if all the pieces are there and it's just a question of how to fit them together properly to make a good application. Downvote this to oblivion if this is in improper use of the thread. 

University of New Mexico rejected me. This one hurt quite a bit... I think I prefer quick and dirty emails compared to physical mail that for some reasons seems like it could only contain good news. The entire process of seeing the letterhead from the school and opening is brutal when you see the classic "we are sorry to inform you..."

16 hours ago, Big Ariana said:

I totally understand if this person isn't interested in responding and I feel bad asking somebody from the survey page to 'out' themselves, but I'm really curious about the Fullbright scholar with a publication who applied to a combination of T5 analytic programs and more continentally driven programs. Maybe people would have advice for what this person could do to boost their chances next year, seeing as it appears as if all the pieces are there and it's just a question of how to fit them together properly to make a good application. Downvote this to oblivion if this is in improper use of the thread. 

I was also curious about how one can polish their application especially when one has a "full package" application including prestigious scholarship and a journal article... I assume that might be helpful for future applicants who have similar achievements. 

17 hours ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Pretty confident that Boston, Toronto, and Syracuse are also rejections, since they've all had a wave go out, and I haven't heard anything. Too early to assume rejection? What do ya'll think

I dunno. I'd wait to hear something definitive before you assume a rejection—at least in the case of Boston. Last year, I didn't hear anything from them and assumed it was a rejection...but on April 13 they told me I had been on a waitlist, and gave me some details in the case that a spot became available (though, one did not become available). I suppose the chances of getting admitted off a "secret" waitlist is pretty low, but it must not be that impossible if schools actually make a practice of having such lists.

Edited by Swann

Rejects came from DePaul (mail) and Villanova (online) yesterday and Friday, respectively.

These two sting significantly more than the other reject so far (Memphis). They were my top choices, and the faculty I contacted at each wrote very nice replies and strongly encouraged me to apply. Plus, I felt like my writing sample and SOP were far stronger than last year.

Well, with only two philosophy PhD programs left to hear from (both of which I'm not feeling very sure about), I suppose I should start working on a non-grad school backup plan for another year, though I'm still hoping for the best from the religion MA programs.

25 minutes ago, goss said:

Rejected from Illinois at Chicago, sadface.

Same. That's my last school in Chicago (4/4 rejected me). So it looks like I'm not moving there!

I actually thought I'd be a good fit there, too. I wasn't sure about the stipend though, given the cost of living.

30 minutes ago, Turretin said:

Same. That's my last school in Chicago (4/4 rejected me). So it looks like I'm not moving there!

I actually thought I'd be a good fit there, too. I wasn't sure about the stipend though, given the cost of living.

Yeah, the city can be pretty expensive sadly. I grew up in Chicago so I was kind of hopeful to go back home, although I definitely would not be opposed to attending NIU if I'm offered funding.