Waitlist Thread

hector549

2 hours ago, SteveZissou said:

I'm assuming I am on a WL of some kind at UCLA, as I have neither received a rejection or acceptance.

Yeah, don't count yourself out, but don't get your hopes up. I remember thinking I would get waitlisted at USC last year after the massive wave of rejections. Turned out that the second wave of rejections came the next day. 

For what it's worth, a plurality of the people in my cohort at UCLA (i.e. us current first-years) were on invisible waitlists. Moreover, the state funding situation means the department can only afford one international student per year. I was #2 and waitlisted without notice until the first person they gave the offer to turned it down... the Tuesday before decisions were due. It might end up being a long wait for some of you but it does happen, and not infrequently.

5 minutes ago, gughok said:

For what it's worth, a plurality of the people in my cohort at UCLA (i.e. us current first-years) were on invisible waitlists. Moreover, the state funding situation means the department can only afford one international student per year. I was #2 and waitlisted without notice until the first person they gave the offer to turned it down... the Tuesday before decisions were due. It might end up being a long wait for some of you but it does happen, and not infrequently.

jealous you beat my GRE my friend :P 

I was just wait-listed at Ohio State. I'll wait to see if it turns into an acceptance, but (assuming I'm not admitted anywhere else) I will likely turn them down in favor of University of Wisconsin–Madison. 

Edited by LennyBound

27 minutes ago, LennyBound said:

I was just wait-listed at Ohio State. I'll wait to see if it turns into an acceptance, but (assuming I'm not admitted anywhere else) I will likely turn them down in favor of University of Wisconsin–Madison. 

Is Madison your first choice? 

2 hours ago, LennyBound said:

I noticed in your signature that you have presumed a rejection from Duke.. do you know people who have received acceptances? I applied there and have yet to hear anything at all.

3 hours ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Is Madison your first choice? 

Not sure. If I got into the University of Michigan, I'd almost certainly choose to go there instead. How about yourself?

1 hour ago, anonmaly said:

I noticed in your signature that you have presumed a rejection from Duke.. do you know people who have received acceptances? I applied there and have yet to hear anything at all.

There was a wait-list posted on the Grad Cafe feed a while back. I haven't heard anything official yet either. I guess I'm being a little pessimistic by already listing it as "presume rejected," but then again, given the actual odds of getting in anywhere perhaps they should all be labeled as such. 

Edited by LennyBound

1 hour ago, LennyBound said:

Not sure. If I got into the University of Michigan, I'd almost certainly choose to go there instead. How about yourself?

There was a wait-list posted on the Grad Cafe feed a while back. I haven't heard anything official yet either. I guess I'm being a little pessimistic by already listing it as "presume rejected," but then again, given the actual odds of getting in anywhere perhaps they should all be labeled as such. 

I'm pretty happy that I got into Western Ontario, but I'm still waiting to hear from my top three picks, McGill, Toronto, and Boston. 

3 hours ago, LennyBound said:

Ah, yes. I saw the one waitlist for Duke, but I was still (perhaps misguidedly) trying to hang on to hope because I hadn't seen any other information. In any event, it looks like you already have an acceptance and some waitlists, so you have beaten the odds! Congrats and hope you hear more good news.

11 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

I saw a Boulder waitlist reported on Facebook. I'm bummed I haven't got one, but I'm curious if there were any more to be had. It seems there would be more as none have been reported here. Any thoughts?

They told me I would get an official offer letter at some point, but I haven't yet. Seems like they're doing it in many stages I guess? Sorry, wish I had more info for you. :/

24 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

They told me I would get an official offer letter at some point, but I haven't yet. Seems like they're doing it in many stages I guess? Sorry, wish I had more info for you. :/

Right. I'm hoping this at least leaves it open for a waitlist to come my way. I'm hoping. Thanks for the information, even if it is minimal 

41 minutes ago, majorshake said:

I got waitlisted at Johns Hopkins. Would looove to go there, and it's the only place I've heard anything positive from. If someone has an offer they're not taking, please please please let them know soon <3

When'd you get that? I'm going to assume I was rejected since I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Edited by 753982

32 minutes ago, PeepingThomist said:

Anyone want to claim that most recent Queen's waitlist? I still haven't heard anything and I know there was an acceptance earlier this week. Did you really hear back today (Saturday)?

That's me. And yes, I heard back today. First round offers have been made, and they are waiting to hear back from prospective applicants. 

3 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

That's me. And yes, I heard back today. First round offers have been made, and they are waiting to hear back from prospective applicants. 

Cool, thanks friend. I didn't know schools made those sorts of decisions on Saturdays. Congrats!

15 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

Which schools are you applying to and what is your AOI?

My main areas are Environmental and Medieval Philosophy, but I have also done some work in animal studies, which was one of the reasons I applied to Queen's. I also applied to Toronto, Marquette, Memorial University of Newfoundland, and Dominican University in Ottawa.