Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

2 hours ago, Turretin said:

Can we get a mod to rename the thread and/or split the thread?

1 hour ago, jkm871 said:

@TakeruK is that something you could do?

I cannot rename threads (but I can do something convoluted and create a new thread with a different title and then "merge" this thread to effectively rename it). I can split threads too, but that would require manually splitting off each individual response here. 

We like to have the community choose the direction of topics rather than moderator imposed except for extreme situations. So, my suggestion is this:

1. Someone should create each of these three threads, if that's what you want to do. Maybe you can include all the info already provided in this thread as part of the first post in the new thread.

2. Then, I can lock this thread and provide links to each of the three threads as the final post. With the original poster's permission (@Turretin), I can also edit the original post in this thread to have the same links. 

If people are happy with this, then please let me know and go ahead to create those three threads. Then, I'll make the links. I'll lock this thread after 24 hours of no one posting in this thread (other than posting to say they want to do this).

1 hour ago, TakeruK said:

I cannot rename threads (but I can do something convoluted and create a new thread with a different title and then "merge" this thread to effectively rename it). I can split threads too, but that would require manually splitting off each individual response here. 

We like to have the community choose the direction of topics rather than moderator imposed except for extreme situations. So, my suggestion is this:

1. Someone should create each of these three threads, if that's what you want to do. Maybe you can include all the info already provided in this thread as part of the first post in the new thread.

2. Then, I can lock this thread and provide links to each of the three threads as the final post. With the original poster's permission (@Turretin), I can also edit the original post in this thread to have the same links. 

If people are happy with this, then please let me know and go ahead to create those three threads. Then, I'll make the links. I'll lock this thread after 24 hours of no one posting in this thread (other than posting to say they want to do this).

This thread is a constructive acceptance thread. I vote for creating an acceptance thread, and merging it with this thread.  

Then we can create both a separate rejection and waitlist thread.  

Starting this acceptance thread so @TakeruK can link content or merge the content from the other thread, and we'll then have three separate threads--one for acceptances, one for rejections, and one for waitlists.

Edited by jkm871

7 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I was originally interested in the "convoluted" route, but I'm totally cool with this instead. It looks like the new threads are created.

Okay, I merged the original thread with the new acceptance thread, which effectively is renaming the thread. I had thought this would be more problematic because I had thought people already posted non-acceptances here, but it seems like the original thread was indeed only used for acceptances! So, I think everyone will get what they want: separate threads and renaming of original thread! yay! 

Share your well earned acceptances here :)

13 hours ago, PhDorBUST said:

Hey everyone who is accepted at FSU, I'm waiting to hear about funding. Post when you hear something?

I got an email from the department today. I was offered a TAship and nominated for two fellowships. Congratulations on your acceptance!

A note on funding for FSU acceptees (@Naruto, @Nichi, @PhDorBUST, and especially any others who haven't posted): annual collective bargaining between the GA union and administration and possible Florida legislation on graduate student fee waivers are both likely to affect the value of your funding package between now and your visit/final decision. You don't have to talk to me specifically, but please keep abreast of this somehow before you commit - the shift might be on the order of a couple thousand dollars depending on how things go, and you should know where things stand before you lock yourself into anything.

Edited by MentalEngineer

Hey everyone, back from the interview with Rochester. It was a courtesy interview, given the nature of my relationship with some of the faculty. It was an unofficial interview and they sought some clarification for my AOI since there's three faculty that I would be suitable under. They asked some questions about my AOI and where I could see my train of thought going in five and ten years, in order to try and lock on 1-2 potential POIs.

The actual list of interviewees is still being drafted. They've already drafted their prospective list of interview candidates and some faculty are doing their own interviews of candidates if they feel strongly toward 3+ candidates, to reduce it to one and an alternate. They stressed that I may or may not be on the official interview list. My wife is a PhD student at Syracuse so it would be wonderful to stay in the area but my wife and I both know the crap shoot that is PhD admissions so we may be split for a year or two.

I asked if I could post this info here as I know of at least one faculty member (that knows my username here) that casually browses the forums when they want to "vicariously relive those days of anxiety." 

1 hour ago, xypathos said:

I asked if I could post this info here as I know of at least one faculty member (that knows my username here) that casually browses the forums when they want to "vicariously relive those days of anxiety." 

And I thought my voyeurism was bad!

5 hours ago, xypathos said:

Hey everyone, back from the interview with Rochester. It was a courtesy interview, given the nature of my relationship with some of the faculty. It was an unofficial interview and they sought some clarification for my AOI since there's three faculty that I would be suitable under. They asked some questions about my AOI and where I could see my train of thought going in five and ten years, in order to try and lock on 1-2 potential POIs.

The actual list of interviewees is still being drafted. They've already drafted their prospective list of interview candidates and some faculty are doing their own interviews of candidates if they feel strongly toward 3+ candidates, to reduce it to one and an alternate. They stressed that I may or may not be on the official interview list. My wife is a PhD student at Syracuse so it would be wonderful to stay in the area but my wife and I both know the crap shoot that is PhD admissions so we may be split for a year or two.

Pulling for you!

Also, I suspected that some of the faculty would research the applicant pool on here. I'm pretty above board, so hopefully that won't get me into any trouble. 

Edited by desolesiii