Acceptance Thread

Duns Eith

A Northwestern acceptance has apparently been posted on the admission results page. I know lots of people that go there. If you get accepted to Northwestern, feel free to contact me and I can put you in touch with some of them. 

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy

5 hours ago, LennyBound said:

A Northwestern acceptance has apparently been posted on the admission results page. I know lots of people that go there. If you get accepted to Northwestern, feel free to contact me and I can put you in touch with some of them. 

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=philosophy

Has anyone else checked their Northwestern app or heard anything? Mine is showing no decision as of now

31 minutes ago, jkm871 said:

Has anyone else checked their Northwestern app or heard anything? Mine is showing no decision as of now

Nope not yet...I just checked my app and it just says "submitted". Hopefully they'll send a few more emails out? Though, it looks like they went out at like 4am? That seems strange. 

At the very least, hopefully they still have WL to send.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:57 PM, MentalEngineer said:

A note on funding for FSU acceptees (@Naruto, @Nichi, @PhDorBUST, and especially any others who haven't posted): annual collective bargaining between the GA union and administration and possible Florida legislation on graduate student fee waivers are both likely to affect the value of your funding package between now and your visit/final decision. You don't have to talk to me specifically, but please keep abreast of this somehow before you commit - the shift might be on the order of a couple thousand dollars depending on how things go, and you should know where things stand before you lock yourself into anything.

Are you talking about tuition fee waivers or academic fee waivers? I was told I have a ~$2000 fee to pay yearly (reduced after establishing residency to ~$1000) if I attend, but the ~$18000/year tuition is covered. 

Also, I plan on coming by March 31/April 1 for the visit day; I'd love to visit you then.

Also also, @PhDorBUST, I was emailed about funding through a 20hr/wk TAship yesterday.

1 hour ago, Tecumseh Valley said:

When someone posts an acceptance, this is what I hear (clipped from Radiohead's "15 Steps").

cheering.mp3

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

4 hours ago, Nichi said:

Are you talking about tuition fee waivers or academic fee waivers? I was told I have a ~$2000 fee to pay yearly (reduced after establishing residency to ~$1000) if I attend, but the ~$18000/year tuition is covered. 

Also, I plan on coming by March 31/April 1 for the visit day; I'd love to visit you then.

Also also, @PhDorBUST, I was emailed about funding through a 20hr/wk TAship yesterday.

The ~$2000 in academic fees. There's bipartisan support for a reduction, including from the governor, so those are likely to fall by some as-yet-undetermined amount. The union will continue lobbying for a 100% waiver, and might actually get it.

(Yes, I'm heavily involved with the union, how could you tell?)

6 hours ago, Nichi said:

Hey @Nichi my bad, different programs. I didn't look before. Congrats on the funding!!

2 hours ago, Nichi said:

Got the good news from Mizzou about an hour ago. Accepted with funding (and fellowship nomination). Via email.

I know someone who did his undergrad there. Nothing but good things to say about it!

4 hours ago, Nichi said:

Got the good news from Mizzou about an hour ago. Accepted with funding (and fellowship nomination). Via email.

Given your exceptional GRE scores and the interesting-sounding title of your writing sample, I'd bet your recent acceptances are a sign of what's to come for you the rest of the app season. Congrats!

On 1/27/2017 at 5:08 PM, Nichi said:

I know many alumni and several professors there. Outstanding department. Congrats!

10 hours ago, axiomness said:

I know many alumni and several professors there. Outstanding department. Congrats!

I'd recognize that picture of John Calvin anywhere! One of my favorite theologians of all time. I read The Institutes when I was bored as a Criminal Justice major.