Waiting as a Comp Lit person

Long time lurker, first time poster. I kinda thought that it would be nice if maybe Comp Lit people could rally together and wait in solidarity since a lot of English programs are sending out acceptances and rejections. I keep checking the survey section of gradcafe to see when Comp Lit might start coming out (I've seen a couple about Irvine, but didn't apply their...). Maybe I'll be a lonely island of Comp Lit in a see of English.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to English programs, btw!

Hi ya. I've been around for a while and just signed in to say I stand in solidarity with you. 

My understanding is that the majority of Comparative Literature programs send their notifications a bit later than English programs, seemingly early in february. However, it seems somebody has got an interview from Northwestern. (If this reaches you, hey you! Which 'home department' have you applied to?) I'm an international applicant and applied to Northwestern, NYU, CUNY, PennState, Oregon, and Toronto. Currently I spend my days reading Hölderlin in the uncanny German countryside. 

Congrats to those who have already heard positive things from the schools.  

Edited by The Ister

47 minutes ago, The Ister said:

Hi ya. I've been around for a while and just signed in to say I stand in solidarity with you. 

My understanding is that the majority of Comparative Literature programs send their notifications a bit later than English programs, seemingly early in february. However, it seems somebody has got an interview from Northwestern. (If this reaches you, hey you! Which 'home department' have you applied to?) I'm an international applicant and applied to Northwestern, NYU, CUNY, PennState, Oregon, and Toronto. Currently I spend my days reading Hölderlin in the uncanny German countryside. 

Also applied for Northwestern this cycle! Emailed Sarah and she wrote back saying results will be out later this week or early next week! Super anxious …

33 minutes ago, hmss9245 said:

Also applied for Northwestern this cycle! Emailed Sarah and she wrote back saying results will be out later this week or early next week! Super anxious …

Thanks for sharing this! Now I have something more solid to look forward to. I'm not very hopeful to hear good news from them, but still excited to learn. Good luck to you! 

1 hour ago, The Ister said:

Thanks for sharing this! Now I have something more solid to look forward to. I'm not very hopeful to hear good news from them, but still excited to learn. Good luck to you! 

Thank you! You too!!

I also applied to a couple comparative literature programs. One doesn't look like it reports until mid-late February. Stanford, on the other hand, is all over the place, so who knows.

3 hours ago, The Ister said:

Currently I spend my days reading Hölderlin in the uncanny German countryside. 

Hölderlin? Did you only apply to comparative literature programs or German programs as well?

1 hour ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I also applied to a couple comparative literature programs. One doesn't look like it reports until mid-late February. Stanford, on the other hand, is all over the place, so who knows.

Hölderlin? Did you only apply to comparative literature programs or German programs as well?

I'm not a Germanist, I've discovered Hölderlin thanks to Heidegger. I've only applied to comparative literature programs. What about you? What's your focus?  

4 hours ago, The Ister said:

I'm not a Germanist, I've discovered Hölderlin thanks to Heidegger. I've only applied to comparative literature programs. What about you? What's your focus?  

I actually applied to a mixture of German, comparative literature, and philosophy programs. My focus is on the novel, narrative theory, aesthetic theory, Germany philosophy, and the relationship between philosophy and literature.

21 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Yes, great idea! I've been freaking out seeing all these posts, and making sure they're all English posts and not Complit. 

I have too! But thinking about it, I only applied to 4 comp lit programs, 1 english, and then like 2 interdisciplinary programs! So I'm not solely comp lit.

19 hours ago, The Ister said:

Yay! People are actually responding! I know that Comp Lit is generally not in January but in the last few years, a couple schools send out acceptances in January, so I'm always hopeful. I'm also applying to Oregon! But it's not the top of my list. Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, Yanaka said:

The thing is that Berkeley said it would have sent out answers by Feb so I thought I'd know by now :P

January isn't over yet! Judging by results from the last few years, it looks like they typically send out acceptances in the last week of January or first week of February.

Wondering if the people who posted interview invites from Columbia on the results page are both comp lit? One says 'English' and it's freaking me out.. 

congrats to you both, regardless! 

Edited by PoeticsofPossibility

19 minutes ago, pippi said:

so funny, me too! between northwestern complit and uchicago english, it appears that we had some overlap in our applications. 

weirdly, i can't even remember why i decided to pass on northwestern's english program and apply to their complit department instead. 

ah!! I am glad to know I'm not the only one—I was feeling weird for not applying to English, but something about the department didn't click for me either. 

curious to see how this unfolds for both of us; hopefully we're not competing for the same spots :o

3 minutes ago, claritus said:

ah!! I am glad to know I'm not the only one—I was feeling weird for not applying to English, but something about the department didn't click for me either. 

curious to see how this unfolds for both of us; hopefully we're not competing for the same spots :o

there's one northwestern acceptance on the board, so unless you want to claim it, i think both of us can count on a rejection from there as well?

I am the one who was interviewed by Northwestern and they told me not to panic if I didn't receive a response in a week or so (next week) and that I would hear back from them in mid-February... So, I now share your amazement in seeing someone already accepted. There are few possibilities here. The optimist one is: they send acceptance at different times. 

Best of luck to all of you :)