Undergraduate Publications

ZombieBirdhouse

So, I'm getting started on budgeting my time before I apply in the fall for the 2018 application season. I have a capstone project that I feel with heavy editing could be a potential publication, however I wrote the material at the end of 2015, so there would be a large time investment in trying to get the research paper up to publication standards. My cumulative GPA is only a 2.7 because of some mistakes that I made when I was younger, I estimate that my departmental GPA is anywhere from 3.5-3.7. Is it worth it to invest several months in trying to get published before submitting my applications or should I focus on my SOP's and personal statements. I already plan on dedicating six months to the GRE. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would suggest trying to get your paper published. If there is one thing that I've learned through this application process, it's that the majority of us applying for Ph.D. programs have good test scores, GPAs, LORs, SOPs, and writing samples. You want to stand out as an applicant and having a paper published or even submitted for publication can help you do that. I am in the process of getting a paper published (currently under R&R) but I definitely put it on my CV. Publishing a paper isn't easy - typically, you get rejected at least once, you go through revisions, etc. so going through the process can help demonstrate to an admissions committee that you are willing to go the extra miles to accomplish something. Everyone at this stage of the game has written a good paper, but not everyone has taken the time to work towards publication. Especially with a low overall GPA, you really need to demonstrate that you are up for the challenge of graduate school. 

Given that you have the better part of a year to get ready, you might as well try to both spend time on your SOP and other statements AND work on polishing this paper and getting it to a publishable state. It doesn't take a year to write an SOP. When you say you want to try and get this paper published, I assume by that you mean in a reputable, leading journal; a publication in an undergraduate/graduate student journal or a low-tier journal won't do you too much good. You might additionally look into trying to present the work in a leading conference. Again, regional/student conferences will have less of an impact than a selective conference. This should also lead to a strong writing sample for your applications, which is also a plus. The main other thing I'd suggest investing time in is cultivating relationships with professors who you eventually want to have as LOR writers. Maybe there are projects you can work on with them other than this old paper that would lead to a productive outcome. 

I had also spent about six months on my applications, and the time passed by a lot faster than I had anticipated. I would start with your SOP and your writing sample first, as they are the most important parts of your application, arguably.

Typically, writing samples are 20 pages so decide now whether you are going to cut down your capstone paper or use something else. Maybe use your capstone paper as both your writing sample and article submission that way you can take care of both things. 

Also, by starting with your SOP you will have plenty of time to request and receive feedback. Some faculty may take several weeks before they provide you with comments.

If you believe you’ll struggle with the GRE, allot significant time to study, but don’t start studying too early if you believe you’ll get obsessive about it. I started with my GRE because I knew it would be challenging but ended up wasting too much time on it because I was unhappy with my practice tests. In the end, I wish I had spent more time on my SOP.

Lastly, if your GPA is bad, it will be an obstacle to admissions, but focus on strengthening other parts of your applications. My partner had a very low GPA, but an excellent SOP, writing sample, LORs, and publications. He was accepted into the top ranked program for his discipline.   

I agree with @fuzzylogician that you definitely have time to work on both, but I think that your primary focus should be on your application materials. There is no guarantee that your manuscript will be published or even R&R-ed within a year; however, studying well for the GRE and investing a lot of time in your SOP and writing sample will almost certainly increase your chances of admission.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the input everyone! I really do appreciate it. I'll get started on my SOP's while I do edits and try to submit my earlier work for a conference or pub and just try to hammer out whatever I can by the end of March, then get started on the GRE, etc. Thank you!