Assembling my CV

HKing90

Hello everyone! 

I'm so thankful to have recently stumbled upon this site in the midst of my graduate application madness. 

I feel rather silly for asking this question regarding my CV, but I can't seem to locate my answer on the web nor was I ever taught how to assemble one while pursuing my undergraduate. I've looked at a few of my undergraduate professors' CVs and, of course, they only list jobs/ positions they've had that were related to their field as they've a plethora of experience. Well, I've never been employed in a position that was directly related to anthropology. I've only my education, honors/ awards, my bioarch field school experience, and my semester-long internship experience to list on this CV. As a somewhat recent B.A. graduate, it's hard to have much to list other than that. I have, however, been employed outside the university setting for over 10 years and have a pretty stellar resume. Do I list this work experience on my CV to take up a bit more space (and not look like I haven't worked a day in my life outside of college) or should my CV only list things that are strictly related to academia/ my experience within anthropology? The professors that are writing letters of rec for me would like me to send them my CV, AND my graduate application requires it as well. 

I'm rather embarrassed that I don't know this answer, so I kindly thank you all for your input! 

I would suggest meeting/speaking with your letter writers to ask their advice - that's what I did when assembling my file, and they helped me figure out what should and should not go on an undergrad/B.A. holder's CV. However, if that isn't an option, it might be useful to look through some grad students' CVs (many department websites have them available) to see what kinds of things they've included.

23 hours ago, HKing90 said:

Hello everyone! 

I'm so thankful to have recently stumbled upon this site in the midst of my graduate application madness. 

I feel rather silly for asking this question regarding my CV, but I can't seem to locate my answer on the web nor was I ever taught how to assemble one while pursuing my undergraduate. I've looked at a few of my undergraduate professors' CVs and, of course, they only list jobs/ positions they've had that were related to their field as they've a plethora of experience. Well, I've never been employed in a position that was directly related to anthropology. I've only my education, honors/ awards, my bioarch field school experience, and my semester-long internship experience to list on this CV. As a somewhat recent B.A. graduate, it's hard to have much to list other than that. I have, however, been employed outside the university setting for over 10 years and have a pretty stellar resume. Do I list this work experience on my CV to take up a bit more space (and not look like I haven't worked a day in my life outside of college) or should my CV only list things that are strictly related to academia/ my experience within anthropology? The professors that are writing letters of rec for me would like me to send them my CV, AND my graduate application requires it as well. 

I'm rather embarrassed that I don't know this answer, so I kindly thank you all for your input! 

Personally I didn't list ANYTHING on my CV that wasn't anthropology/archaeology/bioarchaeology/museum related. Anything that doesn't have to do with anthropology was completely left off. Obviously this just depends on the person reading your CV, but I would prefer to not list non-academic items on my CV. Maybe ask them if you can send both a CV and a resume since they're different things and tell completely different stories? That might help a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

List select things from the 10 years of outside work that would be of interest to people (e.g., publications [refereed articles, non-refereed reports/etc], conferences/workshops you've organized or led, awards/recognitions). If you worked for very recognizable institutions, even if not directly relevant to anth (e.g., RAND/USAID/Google), I would list them in previous employment/positions. You could also consider listing activities during those 10 years under Research Experience/Projects; in which case, it might not necessarily have to be directly anth, but should provide some clue into some of the skills you may have gained of relevance to anth (e.g., science policy, GIS).