What is the one thing you wish you knew?

KharoSc

Hello everyone,

this might come across as a silly question but I'll post it anyways.

I've applied to do a MSW. I am considering the possibility of doing a PhD afterwards therefore it is why I chose the thesis option rather than the field placement option for the MSW. 

For those of you who are currently PhD candidates in social sciences, what is the ONE thing you wish you knew about doctoral studies when you were a master student?

I am not a doctoral candidate - I finished my PhD a few years ago - but I'll share regardless: one thing I wish I knew is the myriad of job options out there (industry, mostly) that I could've done with a master's instead of getting a PhD. I'm not sure that would've meant I would've changed my mind, but it would've been good to know and explore that a bit and make a more informed decision about whether or not I wanted to spend the 6 years getting my PhD.

• 1 month later...

My wife's getting her MSW right now at UNC.  I have a friend who is a professor in the program as well.  

I'm no expert, but my layman's impression of the field is that if you get a PhD it's basically to become a professor.  For anything else in the field you only need a Master's (even if you just want to do research).  Her program divides its candidates into "Direct Practice" and "Macro/Organizational", so anyone who doesn't want to do straight therapy does the Macro.

My wife is doing Direct but thinks that eventually she will want to move into Macro.  It's easier to do that than the reverse.  FWIW, she has found her field placement to be by far the most rewarding part of her experience.

My (again inexpert) opinion is that if you're sure you want to be a professor, go ahead as planned.  But if you think you're going to want a job outside of academia you should strongly consider the field placement -- that real-world experience is invaluable.