low gpa, how to approach this

skiprat

my undergrad gpa was ~2.4, and major gpa was even worse. However in the last ~1.5 years of my undergrad, I did some heavy research in an organic chemistry lab. I could not get into any phd programs, however I managed to get a job at a large pharmaceutical company doing exactly what most PhD organic chemists do out of graduate school, just with half the pay. I'd like to be able to get into top programs in my field. I'm wondering what are my chances, and how should I approach this?

current profile:
2.4 gpa
2 publications (1 co author, 1 first author)
3 presentations
1.5 years research experience academic
1.5 years research experience industry
good recommendations
gre (~70% percentile)
industry experience

I am currently taking graduate chemistry courses at the state university to improve my gpa. so far I've gotten one A. I plan to reapply to graduate school in 1-2 years

future profile:
2.4 gpa undergrad
2 publications from undergrad
potentially 1 more publication or patent from industry
3 presentations
maybe 1 presentation from industry
good recommendations
1.5 years research experience academic
3-4 years research experience industry
improved gre score
good subject gre score
3.0-4.0 gpa from graduate courses

I am also wondering if I should complete a non-thesis masters at the university? Due to my work schedule and the lack of night classes, I can only take 1-2 classes per semester. If I wanted to finish my masters, I'd finish at 30 years old, which puts me too old for many of the top schools. Does building an alternative transcript of good grades + high subject gre test score help?

also, with my current path, what are my chances of getting into top 30? top 20? 10? will I be too old by then?

I am aiming to apply for 2018 or '19 fall starts.

I can't speak to admissions chances, but it's great that you have a good number of papers/presentations.  Given that your UG gpa is so low, a goal of 3.0-4.0 for grad courses is inadequate IMO.  I'd shoot for 3.7-4.0.  With that said, when you're ready to apply, submit apps to both MS & PhD programs.  Then, you'll determine whether you need to go the master's route.

Since you already have industry experience, I'm not sure age will be a big factor.  It's not like you were doing unrelated stuff during your time away from school. 

9 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

I can't speak to admissions chances, but it's great that you have a good number of papers/presentations.  Given that your UG gpa is so low, a goal of 3.0-4.0 for grad courses is inadequate IMO.  I'd shoot for 3.7-4.0.  With that said, when you're ready to apply, submit apps to both MS & PhD programs.  Then, you'll determine whether you need to go the master's route.

Since you already have industry experience, I'm not sure age will be a big factor.  It's not like you were doing unrelated stuff during your time away from school. 

how much help would the MS be instead of having an alternative transcript of grad classes? honestly it's only the gpa i need. if i can't get into a program, I can just roll the grad credits I have now towards a non-thesis MS at my current school. how much would a thesis MS help compared to a non thesis?

6 minutes ago, skiprat said:

how much help would the MS be instead of having an alternative transcript of grad classes? honestly it's only the gpa i need. if i can't get into a program, I can just roll the grad credits I have now towards a non-thesis MS at my current school. how much would a thesis MS help compared to a non thesis?

What do you mean by an alternative transcript?

4 hours ago, Warelin said:

What do you mean by an alternative transcript?

right now i'm just taking graduate courses as a non degree seeking student. however if i wanted to, i could reapply and have my credits rolled towards a MS degree

• 2 weeks later...
On January 30, 2017 at 6:50 PM, skiprat said:

Non-thesis vs thesis: the thesis is typically preferred, but you have a strong publication record.  My guess is that an alternative transcript is adequate.  More than top 10, 20, 30 etc. focus on research fit/POIs.  With an alternative transcript, I can see you having a shot at any of the above...provided that there's a good fit.