Fall 17 applicants OR/ISE/MSE

jaejin

Hi everyone!

I wanted to create this thread for (Fall 2017) MS operations research, industrial engineering, management science & engineering applicants to get to know each other a little better. Who else is applied this cycle? What are your research interests, and what are some of the schools that you're looking at? 

I applied to Columbia, MIT, Michigan, Stanford and Univ of Florida

Hello!

I am looking to specialize in OR specifically to study supply chain optimization. I applied to Columbia, UatBuffalo, NC State, Georgia Tech, Northeastern, UofMaryland and Penn State.

@dgvrpfcu haven't heard from any, but MIT will notify applicants mid/late february!

The rest should come out starting march

Congrats on NC State!!!

What school do you currently attend (unless you already graduated)?

I applied to several OR programs (G. Tech, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, UNC) as well as OM programs at biz schools (CMU Tepper, U-Wisconsin -Madison, Indiana Uni, NYU Stern, OSU Fisher, UW Foster, Columbia) So far got a fellowship at U-Wisconsin-Madison and a pending onsite *interview* at Foster(anybody went through this before, could you share your experience?) and rejections from OSU Fisher (big surprise to me), CMU Tepper (made it to the shortlist but failed to get on the 5-people interview list:p), G. Tech (unofficial), and most likely waitlisted at Columbia's IEOR (so sad...). 

Edited by ghjk

@ghjkI'm sorry to hear about Columbia IEOR...

I was very fortunate to have been contacted by Columbia IEOR towards the end of last week. I had my interview this morning, and it was relatively short at around 15 minutes. We chatted generally about my background, including projects and any publications, as well as research interests and goals going forward. The professor, who I assume is a member of the admissions committee, also asked me which faculty members in particular I'm interested in working with.

I applied to PhD programs in both operations research and statistics. For OR programs, I applied to Columbia, Cornell, Princeton and Stanford. I'm a domestic applicant currently doing a Statistics MS at a top program. My research interests are spread out across applied probability, finance and statistical theory.

It would be nice to hear about others' interview experiences. The interviewer told me I should hear back with the final admissions decision within about two weeks.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by e58916

@58916

Thanks for your information with respect to Columbia ieor. I did not receive the interview from this program, yet I viewed about some people (5-6) interviewed in the gradcafe,  is it possible to get into that without an interview ? Why does this program give the interviews before making decisions, I remember there was no interview last year ??  I guess you surely have an excellent background, good luck for your application!

Edited by yc3107

By the way, does anyone receive the interview from berkeley ieor and stanford MS&E, how about their shortlists and how many people would they decide to admit ?

1 hour ago, e58916 said:

I was very fortunate to have been contacted by Columbia IEOR towards the end of last week. I had my interview this morning, and it was relatively short at around 15 minutes. We chatted generally about my background, including projects and any publications, as well as research interests and goals going forward. The professor, who I assume is a member of the admissions committee, also asked me which faculty members in particular I'm interested in working with.

I applied to PhD programs in both operations research and statistics. For OR programs, I applied to Columbia, Cornell, Princeton and Stanford. I'm a domestic applicant currently doing a Statistics MS at a top program. My research interests are spread out across applied probability, finance and statistical theory.

It would be nice to hear about others' interview experiences. The interviewer told me I should hear back with the final admissions decision within about two weeks.

@e58916 Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I hope your interview went great (indeed, it sounds like you would be IN. Congrats in advance!!) May you share more details about your background (education, etc.) and publications/projects? And don't feel sorry for me, as it's...OK to have another failure (it's just getting harder each time to get back up:D). I actually also applied to the DRO program in Business school, but that one is even tougher (only 3 students were selected in the previous years, out of like 90-120 applicants)

@jungjalapeno Congrats on being selected for an interview. Whom did you hear from about the news that they interview everyone? (it's fine if you want to PM me about that...) And may you share with me more about your profiles, like the projects, extra things besides the education that you think made you stand out? What is your Master in btw?

@yc3107 I luckily got in touch with a professor, who was very kind to let me know that I was ranked high among all applicants by the end of January (at that time, the professor said they have not finished going through all the applications...) A week later, I followed up and the professor said *I guessed you were waitlisted....but I am not supposed to provide any further info on case-by-case basis* Besides that, I don't have any other news about this program, so my apology to you. 

On 2/6/2017 at 0:45 PM, e58916 said:

@e58916 Were you the one who posted on Tracker saying that you got the offer? Big congratulations to you if that's the case!!

@ghjk I didn't post that one. I didn't receive an offer right away--the interviewer simply said the admissions committee now has all the information they need and will be in touch within the next two weeks. Congrats to whoever got the offer!

On 2/7/2017 at 2:19 AM, yc3107 said:

@58916

Thanks for your information with respect to Columbia ieor. I did not receive the interview from this program, yet I viewed about some people (5-6) interviewed in the gradcafe,  is it possible to get into that without an interview ? Why does this program give the interviews before making decisions, I remember there was no interview last year ??  I guess you surely have an excellent background, good luck for your application!

Hi yc3107!

I know a current PhD student at IEOR. He and many of his friends were admitted without going through an interview. But that was two years ago.

I applied to UC Berkeley IEOR and was interviewed by a senior faculty member. She told me that she was tasked to interview the applicants and did not say anything about my standing/chance admission etc. She asked me MANY general "why" questions and did not ask anything about academics. It was a friendly "non-academic" chat and I was indeed puzzled. Perhaps she wanted to see whether I do speak English since I got a terrible 23/30 for speaking in TOEFL (due to a broken mic and a system breakdown in the middle of a recording session!!!). Apparently, my senior friends who were admitted to Berkeley IEOR were NOT interviewed.

I was admitted to Georgia Tech ISyE (PhD in OR) without going through any "official" interview. I did contact one of the newly recruited faculty member (whom I happened to meet before and whose research interests me) before the application deadline, but that may or may not have helped.

I believe whether there is an interview largely depends on the committee. Most schools do not have a fixed rule for that, I think.

4 hours ago, Rick YG said:

Hi yc3107!

I know a current PhD student at IEOR. He and many of his friends were admitted without going through an interview. But that was two years ago.

I applied to UC Berkeley IEOR and was interviewed by a senior faculty member. She told me that she was tasked to interview the applicants and did not say anything about my standing/chance admission etc. She asked me MANY general "why" questions and did not ask anything about academics. It was a friendly "non-academic" chat and I was indeed puzzled. Perhaps she wanted to see whether I do speak English since I got a terrible 23/30 for speaking in TOEFL (due to a broken mic and a system breakdown in the middle of a recording session!!!). Apparently, my senior friends who were admitted to Berkeley IEOR were NOT interviewed.

I was admitted to Georgia Tech ISyE (PhD in OR) without going through any "official" interview. I did contact one of the newly recruited faculty member (whom I happened to meet before and whose research interests me) before the application deadline, but that may or may not have helped.

I believe whether there is an interview largely depends on the committee. Most schools do not have a fixed rule for that, I think.

Hi Rick, thanks for sharing your thought, and congrats on being admitted to G. Tech's ISyE (one of a top programs in OR man!!). For G. Tech, you were probably selected by that faculty or some other faculties in order to be admitted (I knew because I wasn't selected (unofficially) due to the reason that none of the faculty members indicate *strong* interest in sponsoring me). Mind sharing a bit about your profile here? Where else did you apply besides Berkeley? 

Rick YG

Big congrats, GIT OR is a very top program.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience about this two programs, I received an interview from Columbia IEOR yesterday, I also received an interview from Berkeley IEOR two weeks ago.

Have you got an offer from Berkeley IEOR because I guess they made the decisions yesterday or do you know some people who have been admitted into Berkeley?

3 hours ago, yc3107 said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience about this two programs, I received an interview from Columbia IEOR yesterday, I also received an interview from Berkeley IEOR two weeks ago.

Wait a minute, you already received an interview from Columbia IEOR yesterday?? When would you have an interview then? And did they say how many they would interview in this year? As based on my count on the Tracker here, you would be the 5th person who got an interview. Did you update on Tracker?? It would be really helpful if you could share with me the most interesting things about your profile (from your perspective, of course)

Best of luck to your interview!

1 hour ago, poopyhead said:

So @ghjk I'm guessing still no contact from UNC INSTORE?

Yeah, still not hear anything despite my email to Prof. Kulkarni letting him know I have a deadline to make for the other offer. I don't understand wth is going on, particularly when 2 students posted on the result board saying that they are accepted into this program. And he's the one who encouraged me to apply by saying that my profile is quite strong (and even gave me advice on switching from the track comp. finance to business analytics track, as that's where the two professors I am interested in working with are housed, and he said they might not accept anyone in comp. finance this year..). Which track did you choose?  

Edited by ghjk