Anyone else applying to MS in Nutrition programs?

Alexandra24

Hey everyone!

I just applied to a MS in Nutrition program. I have a bachelors degree in a different field, so my plan is to earn my MS in Nutrition, complete a Dietetic Internship, and pass the licensing exam so I can become a Registered Dietitian.

Does anyone else have similar plans?

Feel free to reply to this or message me if you would like to talk.

Good luck to everyone applying to grad school!

• 3 weeks later...

@Alexandra24 I applied to coordinated masters programs (3 MPH, 1 MS safety school) so that I won't have to worry about being matched to an internship. My bachelor's is in Nutrition but it was from a school that, while regionally accredited, lacked the necessary ACEND accreditation to be an RD straight out of undergrad. Considering everyone will need a Masters in the future anyway, I'm fine with the way I've done it. Having such a strong nutrition background I think helped my apps a lot.

May I ask what schools you applied to?

My current status:

UNC Chapel Hill: Heard back but it's still in the air, I think I'm waitlisted but it's not clear.
UMn Twin Cities: Accepted into the CMP
UW Seattle: Accepted into the standard MPH program, interviewed via phone for the CMP and should hear back within a week on that.
University of Utah: Doesn't review applications until March/April. :( WTF Utah, most of the other programs will require responses long before you even look at apps? So frustrating!

Edited by HiFiWiFi

On 2/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, HiFiWiFi said:

@Alexandra24 I applied to coordinated masters programs (3 MPH, 1 MS safety school) so that I won't have to worry about being matched to an internship. My bachelor's is in Nutrition but it was from a school that, while regionally accredited, lacked the necessary ACEND accreditation to be an RD straight out of undergrad. Considering everyone will need a Masters in the future anyway, I'm fine with the way I've done it. Having such a strong nutrition background I think helped my apps a lot.

May I ask what schools you applied to?

My current status:

UNC Chapel Hill: Heard back but it's still in the air, I think I'm waitlisted but it's not clear.
UMn Twin Cities: Accepted into the CMP
UW Seattle: Accepted into the standard MPH program, interviewed via phone for the CMP and should hear back within a week on that.
University of Utah: Doesn't review applications until March/April. :( WTF Utah, most of the other programs will require responses long before you even look at apps? So frustrating!

Hi! I also applied to the Gillings MPH-RD program, and have yet to hear back! If you don't mind me asking, what did your status update say? I have no idea where I stand in regards to accepted, rejected or waitlisted.

Edited by 4theloveoffood

4 hours ago, 4theloveoffood said:

Hi! I also applied to the Gillings MPH-RD program, and have yet to hear back! If you don't mind me asking, what did your status update say? I have no idea where I stand in regards to accepted, rejected or waitlisted.

Basically you know how there was the SOPHAS app and then the supplemental app to the school? I'd answered a similar question differently on each app because of a difference in semantics, so they emailed me (from the grad school, not from the nutrition department) asking me to respond and clarify. The situation was SOPHAS asked if I'd ever been academically dismissed for any reason, including academic performance, so I said yes and used the box to explain about my first attempt at undergrad ~12 years ago before I found my feet in life. Then the supplemental app had only listed examples of things like cheating, honor code violations, criminal offenses, etc. so I'd said no on that one. I'd explained why I'd answered differently and they said (on February 9) "[We] have received the [corroborating statement from my undergrad saying I'm not a criminal] and this is what we need. We will complete processing your application in the near future."

When I log into my supplemental app nothing is changed at all, there's no status listed, but since the admissions process is that the department refers your application to the grad school and the grad school then reviews it for the final decision, I suspect that I was approved or approved for waitlisting by the department and that I got caught up in the works by the grad program, thus why they were the ones contacting me, and now that I have answered in the most positive way possible (and presuming they'd not have reached out to me at all if it couldn't be remedied) and have still not heard anything back while, meanwhile, people are posting they were accepted I can only imagine I've been placed on some sort of waitlist or that my rejection is slowly on its way to me.

In the meantime I have now been rejected by UW as of today, which is a bit of a surprise and definitely a blow to my confidence. I will not be surprised if I'm rejected from UNC, given the program's lofty reputation.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:30 PM, HiFiWiFi said:

In the meantime I have now been rejected by UW as of today, which is a bit of a surprise and definitely a blow to my confidence. I will not be surprised if I'm rejected from UNC, given the program's lofty reputation.

Ahhh, you heard back?? Did they e-mail you? I had a phone interview with them on 1/11 but haven't heard a peep since! I see in the grad application portal that I have been accepted for the MPH, though I have yet to receive a single e-mail from anyone... The wait is killing me :/ 

CONGRATS on getting into UNC!!

15 hours ago, 4theloveoffood said:

@HiFiWiFi Congratulations!!! That's great news! I'm still waiting, and I wonder if I should email them? I don't want the rejection letter to come too quick, but I'm also sooo anxious! Do you mind if I message you?

Message me any time! Regarding mailing them, since you haven't been outright rejected I would bet that you may be waitlisted or something? I really can't say whether it would be helpful or not to email them, TBH!

• 4 weeks later...