Dear members of theGradCafe,

I am a PhD student who is in need of a wonderful writing tutor.

I've searched all the forums listed on this website whose postings are related to the writing improvement, but besides the suggestions, like "write more to get better," I failed to find information about hiring a writing tutor as a way to improve writing. I know hiring a tutor is the most expensive way to improve your writing, yet I believe it is a relatively less risky method of improving my writing skills than the method of writing and reviewing my own paper over and over without feedbacks. I am happy to pay for the tutor if he/she can improve my writing.

Can anyone recommend a great writing tutor for me? (I live in Pittsburgh, but ONLINE tutor would be just fine as well)

@rising_star  Yes, I feared that my request might be too vague. Sorry about that. It is vague may be because I, too, am NOT sure how to tackle the problem of improving my general writing skills...

My university has a writing center, but it is very hard to schedule a lesson. So, I was just wondering if someone here had a similar problem and may be able to share their success story about getting better at writing in general...

Having worked in a university writing center for a number of year I can't recommend their services enough. Especially if you are unsure how to tackle the problem, I don't think anything beats meeting with someone in person on a regular basis. My writing center allowed students to set up regular appointments with the same person, which sounds like it would be ideal in your case. So I would strongly encourage you to inquire about this possibility. You mention that it is difficult to set up a meeting. Have you tried going there in person? You can also try sending an email describing your situation and ask whether regular meetings are a possibility. Like anything, writing centers can definitely vary in how well organized they are and how they operate, but once you get in the system, people start to know you there, etc., I really think they are an invaluable resource.

In addition to finding a tutor for your PhD work and dissertation, to get better at writing long-term: read and study the language of academic papers by well-known scholars in your field. Pick apart the writing styles, notice the succinct way in which they summarize intros and discussions, how many use direct sentences and infinitive forms of verbs (e.g., to conclude), etc. Try to mimic that writing. The process will be painfully slow at first, but it'll be worth it if you plan to write a lot in your career.

• 1 month later...

To get the immediate writing help you can hire an online Writing tutor. Asktutorhelp providing online tutors well versed in different subjects having technical skills, creative mind which will help to get good grades in assignment or homework. So hire your tutors here.