Foreign language requirements question

KharoSc

Hello everyone!

I currently live in Quebec, Canada. I am currently studying in an English university for which I am allowed to submit any written work in French.

I've always wanted to study abroad, especially for my graduate studies, for the experience and to be able to learn from a different perspective. But I am often blocked by the fact that I cannot submit written work in my first language. Don't get me wrong: I can read and understand English perfectly. I can also write, but I definetly need some grammar help (if you have not noticed already in this post). I do not see myself writing a master's or doctoral thesis in English. I am 100% comfortable with writing in French and I wish I could write in French anywhere I go.

How flexible is the English language requirement in universities in Canada and even abroad?

Thank you,

Unless you're getting a PhD in French, you're unlikely to be able to write your master's thesis or doctoral dissertation in French anywhere outside of a French-speaking university. That requirement typically isn't flexible at all because it would require your entire committee to be fluent in French so they could read your thesis/dissertation. 

For the record, there really aren't big grammar problems with this post. In fact, I often see far more issues with grammar when grading undergraduate work of students whose native language is English. So don't undersell yourself or your own abilities. If you're really concerned about the grammar, you could find a writing tutor to work with throughout your graduate studies and hire and editor/proofreader to read through your thesis before you submit it. Both of those are common for non-native English speakers.