What are my chances to get CGS M at this point?

Adelaide9216

Hello,

I have applied to four universities to start a MSW next fall. I have also applied to CGS M (SSRHC). One of the universities emailed me to say that I was not eligible, so they rejected my application for the scholarship although I fulfilled other requirements (community work, awards, research experience, etc). Basically, in my last two years of study full-time in my undergraduate degree, I have a 77% average (first year) and a 90% average (second year). My application was rejected because of the first year. I needed to have at least 80% for each year in order to be eligible.

Do you think I still have a chance to get the scholarship somewhere else? I am still living at my parents' place and I was planning on moving out if I got the scholarship. But now, I might as well stay another year for financial reasons. 

Yes, you may have a chance somewhere else. The CGS-M competition is conducted independently by each school and every school has their own process. As long as there is no explicit policy for an 80% average, you should still be eligible at these other places. Note that academic performance is worth 50% of the entire evaluation (and a "first class average", i.e 80%+, is one of the listed indicators for excellence in this realm) so this is why many places have a high cutoff for averages. 

Hello, thank you for your reply. 3 out of 4 universities I have applied to had this 80% (A- or 3.7 on 4) first-class average criteria except for McGill for which you need to have achieved 3.6 on 4 in order to be eligible. McGill is my last hope. :(

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I have accepted by admission offer from McGill. If I get the scholarship through another university, can I transfer it to McGill?

Are you asking about CGS-M? No, a few years ago, the CGS-M award format was changed so that it is specific to only one University because the selection committee is from that University and only reviews candidates applying for a CGS-M at that University.

Long ago, when I was applying for the CGS-M, it was one single nation-wide competition that was assigned to the student, which the student could take anywhere. This is a little more advantageous to the student, as winning one basically means you can be admitted almost anywhere and schools might even offer a bonus if you attend their program with a CGS-M. It also used to be a 2-year award (my year was either the first or second year that became a 1-year only award). 

However, I think it does make more sense with the current system of limiting it to a specific school. This helps schools that might not get as much funding from the national or provincial governments still be able to attract strong students and this ensures that the distribution of CGS-M is even across Canada, instead of limited to only a few schools. In addition, it does help students because it costs more than just money to support a grad student. If a school simply accepts way more students than they can handle (class sizes, professor time etc.) just because they all hold CGS-Ms then it would mean a worse experience for students too. 

I wish they did change it in some way that still lets the student keep some benefits (e.g. require the school to top off every CGS-M by X dollars) but I think the change is overall more positive than negative.