2nd area for Qualifying exam

Let's say I have A and B area for Qualifying exam and I have to choose one of them. 

In terms of area A, I have heard that it is easy to pass because committee members are more generous and kind. They are even trying to help students to answer correctly during the exam. However, I have never studied the subject before. I was trying to take a class but realized that it is really hard to understand the contents because I don't have any backgrounds on the class which is definitely graduate level. 

In terms of area B, I have studied the subject since I was in undergraduate studies. Also, I am very interested in studying the area. However, the committee members are so strict and it is really hard to get passed the area. I have heard that some of students, of course, have passed the area; however, most of students failed to the exam. 

I actually don't know what I am going to do. Could you please give me an advise so that I may be able to figure out which one is going to the best for me? I like studying area B but I am worried about what if I failed to the exam; whereas, I am really not interested in area A but it might be easy to get passed. (Honestly, I don't know if I can understand the area A because I will need to study from the very beginning of the subject) 

Quals serve a different purpose in each discipline, in each department, and I would say even in each field. In my case, exams are an opportunity to condense knowledge, trends, think about my own research, and think about teaching. The only way to know what is best for you is knowing what you want in the long term. For example, one of my fields served as a means to explore the literature in the major topics that I want to examine in my dissertation. What is the purpose of your exams in the long run? Why is A or B important to you? How do they serve your career goals?