what happens?

darsenbehelm

Hi - I'm 27 and I've been seriously pursuing visual art (painting/photography) for the last 5 years and have been getting success through gallery shows and interest in my work. My undergrad degree was in photography, and I know quite a few people who have gotten their MFA and have mixed ideas about it being beneficial. I've had the opportunity to teach photography and other subjects part time for the last couple of years and love the experience + find connecting to the community of students to be exciting and fulfilling.

One of my best friends runs a community art center and teaches drawing and I've gotten to see how much happiness its brings him. I think I'd be interested in the same amount of involvement but I don't know if photography in particular is over-saturated with teachers and if my painting practice (which is very abstract and has little formal training) would be worth pursuing through an MFA as the outcome would allow me a better opportunity to teach.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts towards this situation. I would love to teach even a fundamentals or intro classes, as long as I was engaging people to open up and push themselves in their practices like I have done for myself. 

thanks!

• 5 months later...

I was told by my professors that photography it told in most every University and school and therefore the outlook for work is better. I am photographer and painter myself but have only applied for Painting MFA's. I was under the believe that photography lost respect and it would be a waste of money. But my professors do not see it that way.