University of Michigan MSW 2017

KruMaew

Hey guys! I don't see any UofM threads on here so I figured I'd start one. Anyone else out there?

I've been accepted to the 16 month program starting in Fall 2017, in the IP/Mental Health specialization. I'm an Ann Arbor native so I'm 99% sure I'll be attending Michigan- doing a school visit this coming Tuesday where I'll be sitting in on a class and then getting a tour and having lunch with a current student. 

Congrats! I've also been accepted for the 16 month program. I'd really love to go but I'm out of state and that cost is crazy. So hopefully I'll get some of the aid/scholarships I've applied to otherwise it just won't be feasible. 

Edited by tuxedobird10

Hey KruMaew and tuxedobird10!

Congrats! I also got accepted to the 16-month program! I'm with you tuxedobird10, I'm from California so the cost of out of state tuition is a bit out of my range but then again U of M is #1 for Social Work and I would love to experience working with the communities in Detroit. I got accepted for the Practice Method Concentration/Area: Comm Org/Comm & Soc System MSW and I am still crossing my fingers to get into the Community Based Initiative Special Program. 

Did either of you apply to the GSSA positions? Or any scholarships etc? Have you received any info about funding? etc? 

6 hours ago, WestCoasterGoingEast said:

Hey KruMaew and tuxedobird10!

Congrats! I also got accepted to the 16-month program! I'm with you tuxedobird10, I'm from California so the cost of out of state tuition is a bit out of my range but then again U of M is #1 for Social Work and I would love to experience working with the communities in Detroit. I got accepted for the Practice Method Concentration/Area: Comm Org/Comm & Soc System MSW and I am still crossing my fingers to get into the Community Based Initiative Special Program. 

Did either of you apply to the GSSA positions? Or any scholarships etc? Have you received any info about funding? etc? 

I did! I applied for both GSSA positions and the Detroit Clinical Scholars programs.  I'm applying for all the aid I can get because I can't take out that many loans. I'm doing the interpersonal and mental health program and I want to work with adolescents so I'm definitely crossing my fingers for acceptance into that program. 

I was accepted to the 20-month program for Comm Org/Comm & Soc System MSW with social policy as my minor practice method.

I haven't heard about funding yet, but I applied to one of the GSSA positions and a special program. Out-of-state tuition is pretty outrageous. UM is my top choice but I will only go if I manage to get 50% of it covered with scholarships and grants. 

Congrats to you guys as well! I heard back about a financial award (only $500 per semester- whats the point? probably because I'm in-state). I applied to the Detroit Clinical Scholars program also and haven't heard anything about it. I assumed the award email would have included it but it didn't say anything either way. I believe the special programs priority deadline was Feb. 1, so maybe there's still hope. 

Hey y'all! I've been accepted to the 16 month program in Management of Human Services & Youth and Children. I'm interested in working with the refugee and immigrant population in the US, so I also applied for the Global Activities special program. I had my interview for global activities about two weeks ago and the wait is killing me. If I get into the special program, I'm pretty much set on Michigan. 

I also saw that I was offered work-study on Wolverine access - sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly does it work? I know obviously I have to work an on-campus job, but if my work study amount is 3000$, is that dispersed at the beginning of the semester, or split up like a paycheck every two weeks? 

Edited by hanndema
to clarify

30 minutes ago, hanndema said:

Hey y'all! I've been accepted to the 16 month program in Management of Human Services & Youth and Children. I'm interested in working with the refugee and immigrant population in the US, so I also applied for the Global Activities special program. I had my interview for global activities about two weeks ago and the wait is killing me. If I get into the special program, I'm pretty much set on Michigan. 

I also saw that I was offered work-study on Wolverine access - sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly does it work? I know obviously I have to work an on-campus job, but if my work study amount is 3000$, is that dispersed at the beginning of the semester, or split up like a paycheck every two weeks? 

Good luck to you! The wait is killing me. Work study is paid over the semester as you work a designated work study job.  So it would be like a paycheck and correspond with how many hours you work!

Hi! I was also accepted into the 16-month program for Comm Organizing/Comm and Social Systems. I'm considered an out of state student, but along with some scholarships and the Global Activities special program scholarship, my tuition is almost fully covered, so I'll definitely be attending in the fall! I also applied for the GSSA positions, but even if I get an interview, I'll most likely stick to the global activities special program, since working with immigrant/refugee populations is a passion of mine. 

Edited by lauracsm

Hey all! For those of you who have had Special Program interviews what was it like/how did you prepare? I have one scheduled for the Global Activities special program and I'm really on edge. I was accepted but my financial aid package was lackluster (loans and work study), as an out of state student I really don't want to take out such high loans.

Yay! So glad someone made this thread. I got accepted to the 20 month program for community organization/social systems. I'm so excited. I was between here and Columbia, but I chose Michigan. I've been offered a scholarship that covers around 60% of tuition, but I'm hoping for more money. I applied for the CBI program. For those who have decided they're going, feel free to reach out to me!

22 hours ago, lulumanila said:

Hey all! For those of you who have had Special Program interviews what was it like/how did you prepare? I have one scheduled for the Global Activities special program and I'm really on edge. I was accepted but my financial aid package was lackluster (loans and work study), as an out of state student I really don't want to take out such high loans.

I was really nervous before my interview, but it was much smoother than I thought. I know this sounds lame, but really own why you're interested in Global Activities and having a global field placement. They're just looking for passionate people who know what they're talking about, have a specific angle they want to study, and who have had some sort of experience with global studies (albeit living in a foreign country, study abroad, or have taken classes about immigration/the globe). Just be confident! Good luck! 

It took them about a week to inform me about my scholarships, then about a month to contact me about the Special Program scholarships I had applied for. I interviewed for it, and then about two weeks later, I was informed that I had gotten that one. After that, it took about a week to receive my full financial aid award package (with loans and work study) through Wolverine Access. Hope this helps! 

22 hours ago, lauracsm said:

It took them about a week to inform me about my scholarships, then about a month to contact me about the Special Program scholarships I had applied for. I interviewed for it, and then about two weeks later, I was informed that I had gotten that one. After that, it took about a week to receive my full financial aid award package (with loans and work study) through Wolverine Access. Hope this helps! 

It does. Thank you!

@mswh0peful thank you! I hope so too!! The anxiety is killing me. I applied for the Community Based Initiative and the New Leaders in African-Centered Social Work special programs. Does anyone know if you can do two special programs? Also, if you get a GSSA do you lose all the money from the special programs? 

2 minutes ago, radicalroyalty said:

@mswh0peful thank you! I hope so too!! The anxiety is killing me. I applied for the Community Based Initiative and the New Leaders in African-Centered Social Work special programs. Does anyone know if you can do two special programs? Also, if you get a GSSA do you lose all the money from the special programs? 

Awesome! Both of those programs seem really interesting. I'd imagine it would be possible to do both programs, not sure though. However, I do know that all other forms of scholarship and funding from U of M are cancelled out by the GSSA if you accept the position

3 minutes ago, HopefullyMSW said:

Has anybody heard back about the GSSA positions? I haven't heard anything yet, and today marks "mid-February" so my anxiety kicked up a couple extra notches :) 

I haven't heard back yet, biting my nails in anticipation! U of M is my top choice school but I likely can't afford to go there without a GSSA position. Btw would you happen to know if the 14k stipend is 14k total? Or 14k per year? I think they require advanced standings to take an extra term if they are a GSSA, which would be the 16 month program if I'm not mistaken, and I saw it says the 14k stipend is dispersed over 8 months.