University of Michigan MSW 2017

KruMaew

3 minutes ago, mswh0peful said:

I haven't heard back yet, biting my nails in anticipation! U of M is my top choice school but I likely can't afford to go there without a GSSA position. Btw would you happen to know if the 14k stipend is 14k total? Or 14k per year? I think they require advanced standings to take an extra term if they are a GSSA, which would be the 16 month program if I'm not mistaken, and I saw it says the 14k stipend is dispersed over 8 months.

I think the way that the stipend works is that you get a "paycheck" so like every week, every other week, once a month, something like that, over the 8 month period. I am not sure if you just don't work during the summer then, or if they pay you separately for that, that I am unsure of. I was accepted for the 16-month program so extending to the 20-month would be a bummer because it would extend graduation, but definitely worth it if I can get a free (or close to free) education!! I don't know how feasible attending U of M would be for me without the position. While I recognize it's a great school/program, and I know in the clinical field (I am doing Interpersonal Practice) having a degree from U of M is held in high regard, $80k in debt still shocks me!

16 minutes ago, HopefullyMSW said:

I think the way that the stipend works is that you get a "paycheck" so like every week, every other week, once a month, something like that, over the 8 month period. I am not sure if you just don't work during the summer then, or if they pay you separately for that, that I am unsure of. I was accepted for the 16-month program so extending to the 20-month would be a bummer because it would extend graduation, but definitely worth it if I can get a free (or close to free) education!! I don't know how feasible attending U of M would be for me without the position. While I recognize it's a great school/program, and I know in the clinical field (I am doing Interpersonal Practice) having a degree from U of M is held in high regard, $80k in debt still shocks me!

I just re-read it again and it says this: "This position includes a full tuition waiver, stipend of approximately $14,091 (dispersed over eight months) and eligibility to participate in the University-sponsored health insurance plan. The appointment is for Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 (renewable for additional terms based upon satisfactory performance and good academic standing)."

So basically it's only for 2 semesters, Fall and Winter. It doesn't cover you for your full program length unless you have a satisfactory performance and are in good academic standing, in which case you are eligible to renew your position there. So I assume this means you get more stipend funds if you renew your position.

Just heard back from my special program (Global Activities) and was placed on the alternate list. I guess it's slightly better than a rejection, but still, I hate not knowing for sure whether anything will come of it or not. 

I guess I'll see if I'm selected for an interview for GSSA, fingers crossed! Good luck to all of you who applied :) Does anyone know if they'll contact selected interview candidates over the phone or through email? I'm currently living abroad so I'm worried if they try to call, it won't go through.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:41 AM, hanndema said:

Just heard back from my special program (Global Activities) and was placed on the alternate list. I guess it's slightly better than a rejection, but still, I hate not knowing for sure whether anything will come of it or not. 

I guess I'll see if I'm selected for an interview for GSSA, fingers crossed! Good luck to all of you who applied :) Does anyone know if they'll contact selected interview candidates over the phone or through email? I'm currently living abroad so I'm worried if they try to call, it won't go through.

9 hours ago, radicalroyalty said:

I got alternate for the New Leaders in African Centered Social Work special program :( Kind of bummed. Still waiting to hear back about CBI, my friend said someone from admissions said they hope to get those up today.

I'm sorry to hear you were both placed on the alternate list! I hope something else comes through for you guys. I still haven't heard from GASP or GSSA. I'm not so worried about not having heard from the the GSSA positions, but it's strange that I haven't heard from GASP yet.

On 2/20/2017 at 10:51 AM, lauracsm said:

I didn't get the career services position either, but I'm not too surprised. I'm just surprised we haven't heard about the student services position yet - that's the one I hope to hear from!

Same! I didn't feel qualified for the career services position but feel that I might have a chance for student services. I really hope they'll reach out to us soon, the deadline to respond to Michigan is approaching!

7 minutes ago, radicalroyalty said:

How is everyone staying calm? I'm freaking out I havent heard back about scholarships and I'm trying to distract myself :(

I am with you there!! I actually might have to put off grad school for a year if I don't get a substantial scholarship anywhere :( 

Good evening everyone,

I applied in January and received my admissions letter last week. My question is are scholarships determined after upon receiving an acceptance letter (not special program applications)? My letter stated that any financial aid information would be forthcoming in an email, and I'm curious what others experience has been with receiving scholarship aid from the school. Best of luck to all of you waiting to hear back regarding special program positions! I'm nervously awaiting fellowship responses from other schools.

5 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

I wasn't offered any scholarships and wasn't given the GSSA position. I want to appeal for more aid but it seems unlikely they will go from offering 0 to 60% of tuition (what I need covered in order to justify going). 

You never know, it's worth a shot. On last year's Umich forum, someone went from being offered $9,000, to having over 50% of their tuition covered. 

15 hours ago, Cavaliers1990 said:

Good evening everyone,

I applied in January and received my admissions letter last week. My question is are scholarships determined after upon receiving an acceptance letter (not special program applications)? My letter stated that any financial aid information would be forthcoming in an email, and I'm curious what others experience has been with receiving scholarship aid from the school. Best of luck to all of you waiting to hear back regarding special program positions! I'm nervously awaiting fellowship responses from other schools.

I was offered admission January 20th.

Then I got the "Official Award Notice" aka loans offered.

Didn't get either of the GSSA positions. 

Still waiting to hear back from CBI. 

I called the school and asked about additional funding from SSW and they said I probably haven't received that yet because they are waiting on the decisions from CBI to go out first (which he shared are done by an outside committee) and then they will be sending me my additional funding offer. He said they wait because if I get CBI then they adjust the funding package accordingly.

I'm excited about this program even though I'd be leaving my beloved Southern California! Luckily I've been accepted to 2 Master's at Michigan so if the funding is right I'll do a dual program. 

But if not I'll drop this program and only do the other one, which quite honestly already seems to have a large funding source because they are paying to fly me out to Michigan. 

Fingers crossed funding goes well! 

The Ivy Leagues offered me money but I've been set on Michigan all along because I have a little network there through a faculty mentor at my current university! 

Good luck everyone!! ?

11 hours ago, WestCoasterGoingEast said:

I was offered admission January 20th.

Then I got the "Official Award Notice" aka loans offered.

Didn't get either of the GSSA positions. 

Still waiting to hear back from CBI. 

I called the school and asked about additional funding from SSW and they said I probably haven't received that yet because they are waiting on the decisions from CBI to go out first (which he shared are done by an outside committee) and then they will be sending me my additional funding offer. He said they wait because if I get CBI then they adjust the funding package accordingly.

I'm excited about this program even though I'd be leaving my beloved Southern California! Luckily I've been accepted to 2 Master's at Michigan so if the funding is right I'll do a dual program. 

But if not I'll drop this program and only do the other one, which quite honestly already seems to have a large funding source because they are paying to fly me out to Michigan. 

Fingers crossed funding goes well! 

The Ivy Leagues offered me money but I've been set on Michigan all along because I have a little network there through a faculty mentor at my current university! 

Good luck everyone!! ?

That's so strange. I got was offered aid from the SSW a month after I was accepted. I got my acceptance letter on Jan 9th, and received my financial aid award notice on Feb 9th. No loans were part of that yet, only funds from the SSW. I later got an official award notice with loan offerings as well. I wonder why they're waiting with you and didn't for me, as I also applied to a special program. I've been wondering if something is wrong with my special programs application (to the global activities program) because I haven't heard anything, and many other people on this forum have already been accepted to it or put on the alternate list.