University of Michigan MSW 2017

KruMaew

1 hour ago, green_dots21 said:

It looks like SSW is still sending out scholarships and grants, so be on the lookout for another award letter. 

I was offered a $40,000 scholarship and $12,000 grant. I hadn't even sent my appeal letter yet. 

How did you know where to send your financial aid appeal letter? I have heard you can do this, but do you send it to the School of Social Work or financial aid department? Thanks for any help! And congrats on your scholarships!!!

Edited by HopefullyMSW

59 minutes ago, HopefullyMSW said:

How did you know where to send your financial aid appeal letter? I have heard you can do this, but do you send it to the School of Social Work or financial aid department? Thanks for any help! And congrats on your scholarships!!!

Unfortunately, I don't. I hadn't looked into yet because I wasn't feeling hopeful. I would send it to SSW if you don't receive any scholarship or grants from them, but Fin Aid department might also look into university-wide funding. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, HopefullyMSW said:

I am hoping to appeal for more aid as well- they only offered $500 per semester! I just emailed the school to find out the process for this, so I'll let you know when I hear back. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:07 PM, green_dots21 said:

I wasn't offered any scholarships and wasn't given the GSSA position. I want to appeal for more aid but it seems unlikely they will go from offering 0 to 60% of tuition (what I need covered in order to justify going). 

Quoting myself to say remain hopeful. I ended up with 60% covered with scholarships and grants. 

7 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

It looks like SSW is still sending out scholarships and grants, so be on the lookout for another award letter. 

I was offered a $40,000 scholarship and $12,000 grant. I hadn't even sent my appeal letter yet. 

Awesome!! Is the 40k from GASP? Congrats :) 

Congrats to those who were accepted and got funding!

Anyone else waiting to hear back from the NCS program too? Didn't get into CBI, got put on the waitlist for GAS (without having an interview), was rejected for the GSSA positions. Would really like to attend here, but hoping for some form of funding! I suppose my status as an international student does affect my funding prospects though... Likely to appeal if I don't get anything, but I'm unsure of the appeals process as well.

On 2/28/2017 at 11:19 AM, HopefullyMSW said:

So you can email them letting them know you want to appeal for more aid, and they will send you a form to fill out and require you to write a 5 page essay :(

4 minutes ago, KruMaew said:

So you can email them letting them know you want to appeal for more aid, and they will send you a form to fill out and require you to write a 5 page essay :(

Yeah, I emailed them as well and saw that application. I about died when I read "5 page statement"! I wish I knew how realistic it is that they will give me more aid, if it's even worth all that effort! I didn't get any scholarships, GSSA positions or anything, so I am feeling a little defeated and shaken! I need to hear some good news, and then maybe I will be ready to write a 5-page statements begging for some more money :) 

@radicalroyalty - thanks for letting me know! Hopefully with some form of funding, I'll see you in the Community Org/Comm & Social Systems program in Fall too. :) 

@KruMaew - thanks for the info, will try that!

@HopefullyMSW - do go for it! Feeling pretty discouraged too, but if you get any funding from appealing it's basically free money and less debt, it'll be well worth the 5 page statement!

Edited by aaresident

@aaresident @HopefullyMSW @KruMaew How much are you all planning on appealing for? The form they give you asks to request a specific amount for each semester. I'm afraid of asking for too much or too little! I want to get enough to make it affordable to go, but am afraid of asking for too much and having my request denied as a result.

2 hours ago, aaresident said:

@mswh0peful Just received the forms and haven't taken a look through yet. I'm not sure if they would actually deny your request entirely if they couldn't offer your exact amount though? 

When I called, I spoke to someone on the re-review board and she said the amount we request should be strategic, because amounts too large would be denied and they don't then give you the most that they can, because the amount we request is supposed to be based on unmet financial need. She said they won't speculate on what our unmet financial need is if we demand too large an amount and it has to be denied.

@mswh0peful, thanks for that info. It is helpful. In that case, I suppose it makes sense to look at your finances and see, assuming you get some $ from part-time work and spend $x amount per month on living expenses, what is the amount they should sponsor, to allow you to pay the balance for your living expenses and school fees, assuming you're also committed to pay $y per month from future income for z months towards that? At least, that's the way that makes sense to me to calculate. :x

@lauracsm I'm actually living in AA now, so other than looking at this thread (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/144-ann-arbor-mi/?page=16#comment-1058475462), feel free to message me more specific questions and I'll help to the extent of my knowledge. :) 

Edited by aaresident

23 hours ago, lauracsm said:

To anyone who's been accepted, have you looked into housing? Feeling a bit lost! Any tips would be appreciated. 

I plan to apply for graduate student housing on campus. The SSW's page also includes student listings for roommates, so I'll reach out to anyone who seems interesting.

@aaresident I think your reasoning makes perfect sense! I'm out of state so I basically asked to have the remaining balance covered. My current financial aid package consists of grants + loans + work/study that don't cover the entire cost, there's about 11k per semester that I would have to come up with in some other way, so I'm asking to have that covered.

• 2 weeks later...