Tips on Moving to a new Climate

nikcav

So I'm not exactly looking for info on a particular city, but for those of you who have made a fairly drastic move, how do you cope with moving from one climate to another?

I am currently living in south Louisiana which is pretty much hot all the time with like 200% humidity. But in the instances that is does actually get cold (usually not really lower than the 40s) the humidity makes it into this unbearable wet cold that is pretty much impossible to enjoy.
If I get into the program I applied to (or even if I don't), I'll be moving to the Boulder, CO area. And I know the weather and climate are very different there.

So has anyone moved to a drastically different climate? Are there things I need to be aware of or ways to prepare my body for such a change? Any other tips/advice?

My husband lived near Houston and then Tuscaloosa, Alabama before moving with me to Minnesota for grad school. I think the #1 thing that made a difference for him was a GOOD winter coat and snow boots. He got a North Face jacket and Sorrell boots (sp on everything-- I'm half asleep on the couch) and he loves them. 

We will also be making remote start a priority in our next vehicle.

On 2017. 2. 3. at 5:04 AM, nikcav said:

So I'm not exactly looking for info on a particular city, but for those of you who have made a fairly drastic move, how do you cope with moving from one climate to another?

I am currently living in south Louisiana which is pretty much hot all the time with like 200% humidity. But in the instances that is does actually get cold (usually not really lower than the 40s) the humidity makes it into this unbearable wet cold that is pretty much impossible to enjoy.
If I get into the program I applied to (or even if I don't), I'll be moving to the Boulder, CO area. And I know the weather and climate are very different there.

So has anyone moved to a drastically different climate? Are there things I need to be aware of or ways to prepare my body for such a change? Any other tips/advice?

Another thing you don't realize when living in humid places is that you NEED to moisturize. "Oh, it's okay, I have oily skin" doesn't work in freezing temperatures and wind. I have moved between several different climates in my life and the biggest thing was to do research and get the basic gear like @heyDW mentioned, but just to be aware of how my body is responding to the changes. So if your skin feels a little uncomfortable, for example, pay attention to this change. You may not know what the solution is to a particular weather-related problem but ask people. Some things just won't occur to you. I grew up with NO snow at all and when I moved to a climate that had moderate snow during the winter, it didn't occur to me at first that you need an umbrella on a snowy day - because yeah, it's not liquid when it comes down, but when it gets on you, it'll turn to liquid and you'll get really wet and cold and ICK. Before I moved to a place with winter, I didn't realize that in some situations, you need to wear a hat not for fashion, but to be warm. So little things. Winter, in my opinion, is a bit easier to deal with because there are many ways to make yourself warmer. Thick coat, layers, gloves, thick socks and boots, a hat, scarf all that. You will be warmer if you bundle up. For me, going to hot and humid climates really messed with me because, other than staying inside, there's really not a lot you can do to make yourself feel cooler. I mean, you could walk around naked and you'd still feel hot. 

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I have lived in New England for my whole life so I'm used to the cold and snow, etc. Everyone here has mentioned some good things but just a few things to keep in mind: 

be aware that the elevation in Colorado is higher. For many people, they are unaffected. When I've been both my sister and I for the first couple days our ears would randomly pop or get small little nosebleeds. I'm sure this isn't very common, but your body sometimes has to adjust to the change in elevation. 

As someone mentioned, invest in a good pair of boots. All college campuses require a lot of walking and there's nothing worse than wet feet on a winter, or even rainy day. Get yourself both winter and rain boots if necessary. The coat mentions are good as well, both a toasty winter jacket, and I think a raincoat is a godsend for anywhere that you live. Just be prepared with layers-scarves, hats and definitely gloves. 

This is not essential but is always a big help. For many years I drove a regular car, and snow driving is tricky but not impossible. 2 years ago I made the switch to an SUV and it's great, not having to be overly concerned with snow driving (within reason) 

pack an emergency car kit. You never know what can happen so having everything you need in your car in the event of snow or breaking down. Besides the usual jumper cables, etc. I always have in my trunk a bag with: extra pair of boots/sneakers, gloves, scarf, hand warmers, blanket. I also keep a little mini shovel in the event that I need to shovel myself out. Sometimes snow can fall fast and you're parked for awhile. If a plow goes by it will push snow up to your car. I also keep a small bag of kitty litter in the car to put under tires in the event I get stuck on snow or ice. 

Do a full search on boulders weather. I have always thought of Colorado being extremely cold and snowy but it's not that bad in many areas. 

Embrace the new climate! 

I was born and raised in Boulder, but I've now lived in MANY different climates, both with and without major season changes and with a ton of humidity. You're going to have to put on a ton of lotion all year, not just in the winter. Colorado is super dry and with the elevation, it will be important to up your water intake too. And for the first few days, go easy on the alcohol. The elevation will make you get drunk MUCH faster. 

Colorado is unique because it will be freezing in the morning and 60 by lunch. The best thing to do is to dress in layers. A warm winter coat will be helpful, as will snow boots, but something that you can take off and shove in your bag (like the microdown jackets from Uniqlo, I have one and I LOVE IT) will be great. It does snow in Colorado, but it melts in a few days, so you won't be marching across sheets of ice for days at a time like you do in Boston or in the Midwest (where I am now). 

As far as a car, 4WD is much more important than the size of the vehicle. SUV or no, if you only have 2WD you're gonna struggle in the winter. 

I hope that helps! Also, get excited for the AMAZING FOOD! Boulder has some of the best restaurants and coffee shops in the country! With tons of patios to sit on in the summer. Not strictly relevant, but still thought I'd mention it :) 

@catsnbikes @av2010 @DBear @heyDW @rising_star

Thank you all for the great tips!

I'm moving in just a few months and getting more and more excited!

@catsnbikes can you tell me a bit more about the food? My boyfriend and I were discussing this the other day, and we con't really know what to expect in terms of culture when it comes to food. We're in Louisiana so we're used to lots of seafood and cajun food. It will be interesting to be in a state that isn't partially bordered by water.

Sure thing! I would say definitely do not expect much seafood, especially if you're environmentally conscious! It's all flown in and frozen, except for the trout. If you MUST get seafood, Jax is the only place in town to go, and it's pricey so I would hit up their awesome Happy Hour. Otherwise, the food is pretty eclectic. Although, unfortunately it seems like all my favorite taco places were bought by white people who ruined them. There is great Indian, Thai, various "fusion" or "inspired" restaurants that are great.  All of the local coffee shops are amazing, although of course we all have our favorites. The microbrewery scene is amazing all around the front range (it's not just New Belgium, although they're lovely! There's Avery and FATE and Oskar Blues and so many more!) Boulder, overall, can be a little... frustrating. A lot of people with a ton of money have moved in over the last 20-30 years and so it's changed a lot from the adorable hippie town it used to be. People wear yoga pants everywhere and everyone is VERY into fitness and health.  

Do you know what part of town you'll be living in? I can throw you some good recommendations for nearby haunts to hit up (and maybe to avoid...) 

If you have any other questions, let me know! 

@catsnbikes Thanks!

We're not really certain yet where specifically we'll be living. We're trying to figure out where we can have some decently cheap rent but still possibly get a 2 bedroom, so I'm sure we'll end up in one of the surrounding towns. It's just kind of overwhelming to figure out where to even start. I've been checking out padmapper to try and see what I can find. I'll happily take recommendations in that area too!

Sure! As a Boulderite, I have to acknowledge my rather significant bias in ranking the surrounding cities, much the way someone from Manhattan feels about the other parts of NYC and various other options. But I would say, look in: Lafayette, Broomfield, Superior and AVOID Longmont. Longmont seems like a good idea, but it is decidedly not. If you end up in the first three, you can take a bus to and from home with relative ease if you choose. There are even a lot of Park-N-Rides so you can save on gas and avoid having to try to park on/near campus. You won't pay through the nose QUITE as much as you will in Boulder (Google just bought a bunch of land, so they're driving the cost up even further...) and you'll be close enough to take a cab home if you end up staying out and having some drinks every once and awhile. If you want to stay in Boulder, South Boulder is lovely and a lot cheaper. You won't be right on campus, but you'll avoid the masses of undergrads and still be able to bike/bus in less that 15 mins. There's starting to be a very cute little restaurant/coffee shop scene down in SoBo too! Downtown Boulder is beautiful, but you'll end up paying $1000 for a tiny place, if you're lucky. 

I hope that helps!