Average salary for a CJ professor/researcher?

Hello all,

This may seem like a strange question, but I cannot seem to find any information regarding salaries for those with PhD's in criminal justice. I know there are a variety of career options for this (which may be why i can't seem to find much info), but I'm trying to find salaries for the professors and researchers. It's not that I'm entering this field for the money, I already have my MS in CJ. I'm very passionate and interested in the field, howver, it is still worth knowing how much I'll be making on average. I have a decent amount of college debt to pay off.

Thank you for any info you can provide!

The professors at my undergrad university (state school, ~5,000 students) seemed to start out at $55,000/year and max out around $68,000/year (excluding the Chair).  There were no Full Professors there, who would have made more money.  The professors at the university I will earn my master's degree from (state school, ~20,000 students) appear to start out around $65,000/year and go up significantly from there.  Full Professors make just south of $100,000, and Distinguished Professors make over $100,000.

The best advice I can give you would be to look up the salaries of professors at universities similar to what you'd like to teach at.  If it's a state school, their salaries are public information.

I should point out that the professors at my undergrad university rarely ever produced research.  They were able to focus solely on teaching.  The professors at the university I'm at now are expected to always be working on research while teaching, typically, two classes a semester.  So, really, it all depends on what's more important to you.

I should also point out that the remainder of your student loan debt will be forgiven if you teach at a public university for 10 years while simultaneously making at least the minimum payment every month.  Of course, that could easily be changed under the current administration.

Edited by OmarComin'
Added something

http://www.adpccj.com/documents/2016survey.pdf This provides the average salaries of professors at universities with doctoral programs, so they are probably above average.Newly hired assistant proffessors salaries ranged from 28,000 to 110,000, with the median being about 65,000. If you work at RAND, maybe the most prestigous research corporation, you make about 158k with a PhD according to this site http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=RAND_Corporation/Salary