Official Interview Thread 2017

Hey everyone! Same as last year's thread: now that the interview season is upon us, lets post the following:

• when you got the invite to the interview
  • where one could find the invite, portal, etc
  • any tips from previous interviews
  • questions that were asked on the interview that can help us

good luck to everyone!! 

Edited by joyannna

I was invited to interview with Emerson via email at noon today, 2/3. Not sure if I will do Skype or in-person since I live in Colorado. I will update with more information about the interview!

I got an interview with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I chose to do the Skype interview, which will be in March. I will update this later! 

Also- I have friends who got contacted from Boston U, and Emerson today RE interviews! 

• when you got the invite to the interview - Invited to interview at Midwestern University via Email January 20th. Interviewed January 27th.
  • where one could find the invite, portal - Via Email
  • any tips from previous interviews - This was my first interview but just breathe and relax. Waiting for the interview is much more stressful than the actual interview. The professors and faculty will make you feel calm and at ease. They're just people :)
  • Questions that were asked on the interview that can help us -
  1. Why did you choose to pursue SLP?
  2. Why did you choose this University?
  3. How is SLP both a Science and an Art?
  4. What is the most frustrating or challenging part of this field?
  5. Tell me about your research experience/extra curriculurs etc.

3 hours ago, Akon said:
  • when you got the invite to the interview - Invited to interview at Midwestern University via Email January 20th. Interviewed January 27th.
  • any tips from previous interviews - This was my first interview but just breathe and relax. Waiting for the interview is much more stressful than the actual interview. The professors and faculty will make you feel calm and at ease. They're just people :)

I appreciate the generosity, but I don't think it's fair to post the actual questions asked on the interview here... I've attended nearly a dozen interviews when I was applying, and we were always told not to tell other applicants the questions. This is particularly because many schools will have multiple rounds of interviews, not just 1 and done. That just makes it grossly unfair for the students who went in blind. Even if you yourself are okay with making it easier for the competition, the students that interviewed blindly with you on the first round might not (and probably won't be) cool with that. A big part of interviews are assessing personality. Someone who knows the questions beforehand are going to be MUCH more relaxed and confident than someone going in blind. This makes a stark difference for the people interviewing you, and gives the informed applicants a huge leg up on the competition. Not trying to antagonize anyone here, just my 2 cents on keeping it fair. 

Edited by wcslp

5 hours ago, Akon said:

I am not applying to this school but I think it's great to know the possible questions that could be asked in this field in particular. So thank you for sharing. Even though some or even most may disagree, I think it's totally fine to post interview questions. I would have no problem doing the same. That being said, I do understand the frustrations of others who disagree with my POV. One thing those who would like to post the questions could do, is not specify which schools asked these questions. Just a thought if you'd rather not offend too many people :) 

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I am not applying to this school but I think it's great to know the possible questions that could be asked in this field in particular. So thank you for sharing. Even though some or even most may disagree, I think it's totally fine to post interview questions. I would have no problem doing the same. That being said, I do understand the frustrations of others who disagree with my POV. One thing those who would like to post the questions could do, is not specify which schools asked these questions. Just a thought if you'd rather not offend too many people :) 

7 hours ago, Akon said:

Maybe we could make a thread of just possible interview questions???

I got an email from the University of Central Oklahoma with instructions for how to sign up for an interview. They interview every applicant so it's not that big of a deal. I haven't seen anyone on here that is from this area but I figured I'd share here in case we have anyone lurking :)

I received an email to interview with Pacific University today. However, they told me what day it was and where to show up. I live over halfway across the country and so I emailed them back thanking them and asking if I could skype.

On 2/4/2017 at 4:20 PM, wcslp said:

I appreciate the generosity, but I don't think it's fair to post the actual questions asked on the interview here... I've attended nearly a dozen interviews when I was applying, and we were always told not to tell other applicants the questions. This is particularly because many schools will have multiple rounds of interviews, not just 1 and done. That just makes it grossly unfair for the students who went in blind. Even if you yourself are okay with making it easier for the competition, the students that interviewed blindly with you on the first round might not (and probably won't be) cool with that. A big part of interviews are assessing personality. Someone who knows the questions beforehand are going to be MUCH more relaxed and confident than someone going in blind. This makes a stark difference for the people interviewing you, and gives the informed applicants a huge leg up on the competition. Not trying to antagonize anyone here, just my 2 cents on keeping it fair. 

I'm sorry I was just replying to the original post that says "questions that were asked on there interview".

Truly the University already completed their last round of interviews and they asked a multitude of questions - I didn't post them all :) .

At the interview, I talked to 4 different people and they asked us all different questions so I don't really think I gave it all away.

I was very nervous about my interview and I just wanted people to feel more relaxed. Not to mention there are already posts on here from last year from people that posted the interview questions from Midwestern last year.

In my opinion even if you know the questions (which most are pretty obvious questions that any interview will ask...) but above all, your personality is conveyed in HOW you answer them, your level of comfort, confidence, eye contact/body posture, and the way you articulate yourself.

I am sorry though, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Cheers. 

9 hours ago, Akon said:

I'm sorry I was just replying to the original post that says "questions that were asked on there interview".

Truly the University already completed their last round of interviews and they asked a multitude of questions - I didn't post them all :) .

At the interview, I talked to 4 different people and they asked us all different questions so I don't really think I gave it all away.

I was very nervous about my interview and I just wanted people to feel more relaxed. Not to mention there are already posts on here from last year from people that posted the interview questions from Midwestern last year.

In my opinion even if you know the questions (which most are pretty obvious questions that any interview will ask...) but above all, your personality is conveyed in HOW you answer them, your level of comfort, confidence, eye contact/body posture, and the way you articulate yourself.

I am sorry though, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Cheers. 

You certainly were answering the OP's question so I'd say you helped a ton ? You said they asked "us" all different questions. Were you interviewed in a group then or were you just speaking about everyone in general when you said that? 

I accepted my interview maybe 5 minutes after initially receiving the email on Feb. 6th. I then asked if I could Skype in as opposed to show up where they had already scheduled me since I am across the country.

I haven't heard a response yet. When is it appropriate to send another email asking?

15 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

You certainly were answering the OP's question so I'd say you helped a ton ? You said they asked "us" all different questions. Were you interviewed in a group then or were you just speaking about everyone in general when you said that? 

We each had individual one on one interviews with 2 different interviewers, but we all waited together in the waiting room as a group of SLP Applicants for a few hours and after the interviews we all had lunch on campus and discussed what questions we struggled with etc. 

2 hours ago, maurmaur said:

I accepted my interview maybe 5 minutes after initially receiving the email on Feb. 6th. I then asked if I could Skype in as opposed to show up where they had already scheduled me since I am across the country.

I haven't heard a response yet. When is it appropriate to send another email asking?

I think it is appropriate for you to send a polite email about this again at the end of the week or early next week, especially if interview days are coming up soon. Schools understand that people may have to make travel arrangements and need to know early on, but are swamped at this time of the year. It took a few days for me to hear about a scheduled interview time after submitting my availability.

4 hours ago, plume said:

I think it is appropriate for you to send a polite email about this again at the end of the week or early next week, especially if interview days are coming up soon. Schools understand that people may have to make travel arrangements and need to know early on, but are swamped at this time of the year. It took a few days for me to hear about a scheduled interview time after submitting my availability.

Thanks! This makes sense, and is kind of why I wanted to ask here to hear someone back up what I thought! :) Helps the anxiety :) She emailed me back a couple hours later and now I have a Skype interview about a week and a half from now!

@maurmaur Sidenote, but how to you like Tucson? I applied to U of A but I don't know much about the area! I am from Colorado and have spent time in Arizona, just not that area. Thanks for any insight :)

Also, YES, I totally get the anxiety thing! It's a big reason why I use this forum, ha ha!

10 minutes ago, plume said:

@maurmaur Sidenote, but how to you like Tucson? I applied to U of A but I don't know much about the area! I am from Colorado and have spent time in Arizona, just not that area. Thanks for any insight :)

Also, YES, I totally get the anxiety thing! It's a big reason why I use this forum, ha ha!

I don't know if you can private message people, but you are welcome to message me! I grew up in Phoenix, and went to college in Tucson! Do you like the heat?

I now live in Indiana since my mom lives here while I work, go to school (prereqs), and apply to graduate school. Moving away made me miss AZ, but I don't want to end up there if that makes sense. 

I'm not a big fan of the heat, but Tucson is on avg cooler than Phoenix (usually). UofA is wonderful, I loved it there. Tucson is definitely different than Phx. Everything in Phx seems new since the suburb I'm from is only about 20 years old in the first place. But its eccentric in a good way. 

Hiiii everyone!

I have an online group interview with Central Michigan University next week. Any idea how group interviews usually work?? I'm so nervous! ahah :)

I got an interview at Oklahoma State! I'm not sure if I should do it in person or via Skype (it's a 45 minute drive). Skype is more convenient but I'm afraid that my personality won't come through as clearly if that makes sense

6 minutes ago, K8eCastle said:

I got an interview at Oklahoma State! I'm not sure if I should do it in person or via Skype (it's a 45 minute drive). Skype is more convenient but I'm afraid that my personality won't come through as clearly if that makes sense

Definitely do it in person if you can!! 45 min is not far at all. I have an interview next Friday thats an 1 hour 15 min away and I didn't even consider Skype for a second. I definitely agree with you that its much easier to be yourself and show who you really are in person instead of via Skype! One of my schools is 4 hours away and if I get an interview there I'll definitely still make the drive just because I think speaking in person is a better way to showcase your personality. Obviously sometimes you have no choice but to use Skype, but if you can meet in person, do it!! 

3 minutes ago, Murr57 said:

Definitely do it in person if you can!! 45 min is not far at all. I have an interview next Friday thats an 1 hour 15 min away and I didn't even consider Skype for a second. I definitely agree with you that its much easier to be yourself and show who you really are in person instead of via Skype! One of my schools is 4 hours away and if I get an interview there I'll definitely still make the drive just because I think speaking in person is a better way to showcase your personality. Obviously sometimes you have no choice but to use Skype, but if you can meet in person, do it!! 

You're right! I decided to do the in person interview. Thanks and good luck to you!

11 hours ago, K8eCastle said:

You're right! I decided to do the in person interview. Thanks and good luck to you!

Glad you decided to do in person!! I have one with a school that's 3 hours away, and they only do online interviews if you're more than 6 hours away ! 

I have an interview with Mercy, was invited via e-mail.  I replied to the e-mail but never got a confirmation that my e-mail was received.  Should I be concerned that my response was never received??