MSW Grad School?

Hi! I'm currently an undergrad student looking to apply to a MSW program soon. My current goal right now is to be a medical social worker. At the end of the day, hopefully i'll be able to be a LCSW. 

My question: Should i look at how prestige a MSW program/school is  or are the ranking of the school not as important? I've seen some curriculums of it and they are both similar. Just that some programs are further away from my home. 
Also, can you give me some programs recommendations if you can think of any remarkable ones? (preferably California or New York)

If there are similar posts like these, please let me know so that i can check them out! Thanks! 

From the research I've done and the fact that my mother has her MSW and LCSW and got her MSW from a state school I don't think the prestigiousness of a school matters. I believe the experience you have whether it be volunteering, work experience or an internship speaks way more than the school you went to. Nevertheless, there are always organizations and agencies that will care what school you go to. Personally I wouldn't want to work for a company where they care more the name of the school you went to versus the experience you have.

California:

San Diego State University is very well known, they were the first CSU to have a Social Work program and their program has been around since the 60's. A big plus is that it's a state school so it's not expensive. I know USC has a very good MSW program, but they are expensive though I've heard they do give scholarships.

New York:

My cousin is going to Columbia for her MSW. She says she really likes the program, but obviously the downside is the cost of living and how high tuition is. I don't know of any good MSW programs in New York. 

I graduated from a state university in California. From my experience, the prestige of the school does not matter. However, there are some programs that will allow you to get your PPS credential as well. If working at elementary/high schools is also something you would like to do in the future, I recommend looking into programs that offer this.

If medical social worker and LCSW is your plan, I can say that the MSW programs will assist & the prepare you in that goal with the courses and the internships they offer. 

Edited by flowerthor
corrections

9 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

From the research I've done and the fact that my mother has her MSW and LCSW and got her MSW from a state school I don't think the prestigiousness of a school matters. I believe the experience you have whether it be volunteering, work experience or an internship speaks way more than the school you went to. Nevertheless, there are always organizations and agencies that will care what school you go to. Personally I wouldn't want to work for a company where they care more the name of the school you went to versus the experience you have.

California:

San Diego State University is very well known, they were the first CSU to have a Social Work program and their program has been around since the 60's. A big plus is that it's a state school so it's not expensive. I know USC has a very good MSW program, but they are expensive though I've heard they do give scholarships.

New York:

My cousin is going to Columbia for her MSW. She says she really likes the program, but obviously the downside is the cost of living and how high tuition is. I don't know of any good MSW programs in New York. 

There are several reputable programs in New York. Browse these forums for a few minutes and you'll see how valued NYU, Hunter, and Fordham are, not to mention schools outside the city- UAlbany, Syracuse, UBuffalo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I'm also an undergrad and would like to be a medical social worker as well! I got accepted into Fordham yesterday and have applied to Hunter. I was interested in Columbia & NYU, but was deterred by the cost (now I know scholarships would have been possible, but it still is really expensive).