Thank you note to a large group?

Caballita9287

I just had an interview day during which I was interviewed by all 6 faculty in a (small) PhD program.  the program chair organized the interview and led it, but each faculty member asked 1 or 2 questions, like a panel.  Afterwards I went to lunch with a group of students.   Since I really wouldn't have much to say in an individual note to all these people, is it appropriate to write one hand-written note to "Dr. [name of program chair] and the faculty of XX program?" And just write the letter addressed to the faculty as a group saying I enjoyed the interview and learning about the program, etc.?    I could also do the same for the students, write and/or email them a group thank you note?  

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm so self-conscious about these things for some reason!

I usually just do emails, and in cases like yours I will send it to whoever was my main contact person (the program chair, in your case), say thank you, and ask that the person convey my thanks to the other committee members / people I met with / students, etc. I don't think you need to write individual emails to each person, it'd be perfectly fine to do a group email or "please forward this to XYZ" and be done with it. It's the gesture that counts more than the particular content, I think. 

I'd say to just email too. When I was part of a panel interview for a position at my school (a non-academic position), I got individual thank you notes from the candidates. But ultimately, I don't think it really matters. They are not going to select you (or not select you) because of a note. However, it's a nice gesture to people who will be your future colleagues (whether or not you attend their program).

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2017 at 1:25 PM, fuzzylogician said:

I usually just do emails, and in cases like yours I will send it to whoever was my main contact person (the program chair, in your case), say thank you, and ask that the person convey my thanks to the other committee members / people I met with / students, etc. I don't think you need to write individual emails to each person, it'd be perfectly fine to do a group email or "please forward this to XYZ" and be done with it. It's the gesture that counts more than the particular content, I think. 

that's such good advice - thank you! here i was thinking how awkward it was going to be individually emailing each person who interviewed me (i was also in a group interview) but this makes so much more sense.