Declining offers 2017

Shira70008

• 4 weeks later...

Praying for people to get offers they prefer to Boston U and Syracuse! 

I will likely be removing myself from the waitlists at Purdue and Baylor this week as well, and probably declining my offer from Tennessee too (depending on how my Skype chat with the DGS goes on Friday). 

30 minutes ago, Naruto said:

I declined my offer from Florida State, removed myself from the waitlist for Purdue, and will decline my offer from Georgia. Hope that helps someone.

This may help me, indirectly or directly. I'm waitlisted at Purdue. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Schopenhauerfanboy said:

Praying for people to get offers they prefer to Boston U and Syracuse! 

I will likely be removing myself from the waitlists at Purdue and Baylor this week as well, and probably declining my offer from Tennessee too (depending on how my Skype chat with the DGS goes on Friday). 

I think that helps someone I know who applied to Baylor, and perhaps indirectly me for Purdue (though we have different AOI). Thanks!

Not what everyone here is waiting for presumably, but I just declined my offer of admission into the MA program at NIU. Hopefully someone else makes the best of that great opportunity!

11 minutes ago, Electric Anxiety said:

@NarutoDamn, this means they have gone through a wave of acceptances and I wasn't one of them. I have heard nothing from them at all though, so I guess I should assume the worst? 

Oh no! Hopefully, you're on a hidden waitlist! I also noticed that in the past, South Florida has sent out acceptances sporadically.

1 hour ago, alaskanbullworm said:

I've declined Oklahoma and will be declining Brandeis. Hope this helps someone.

If your Oklahoma offer you declined was for PHD then this will help me tremendously! I have no idea where I am on the waitlist but it moves me up wherever I'm at haha. Thanks for the info! 

Just a friendly reminder: if you know you won't accept an offer, please turn it down as soon as you can. There are many whose fates depend on you, and they are, just as you, trying to plan their—and, for some, their families'—futures. 

Edited by Dialectica

FWIW, after an informal email and phone conversation with the DGS at my first choice, I am just waiting on the official offer to arrive before turning down other schools' offers. Others are probably in a similar situation, which is what delays things. We're not Bogarting spots as much as covering our bases. 

27 minutes ago, Tecumseh Valley said:

FWIW, after an informal email and phone conversation with the DGS at my first choice, I am just waiting on the official offer to arrive before turning down other schools' offers. Others are probably in a similar situation, which is what delays things. We're not Bogarting spots as much as covering our bases. 

Thanks for this.

But, it needs to be said: some people definitely sit on offers they know they won't take. It happens every year. I knew someone in at a top-5, knowing they would be taking that offer, but sitting on amazing offers all over the PGR. They simply weren't taking the time to do it, and that's worrisome.

12 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

some people definitely sit on offers they know they won't take. It happens every year. I knew someone in at a top-5, knowing they would be taking that offer, but sitting on amazing offers all over the PGR. They simply weren't taking the time to do it, and that's worrisome.

I'll take your word for it that people do this.